• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone actually have volume output set to 2V (or even 4V+) when listening to headphones?

Tks

Major Contributor
I get that you don't get 4W of power produced out of the headphone for example due to efficiency and resistances, but..

I have no issues taking HD650's or HD800's and having them run out of the IEM port on an RME DAC (this doesn't get me to 2mW on a 300ohm load according to the review of the device). Now there is some music with higher dynamic range, and the quiet parts I can see maybe wanting sometimes to go and get some more volume, but I really don't understand what someone would need with like the output power of some of the new AMPs from SMSL and Topping. I get theirs very inefficient headphones. But really inefficient enough to drive output beyond even 4V for instance (taking a Ether CX situation for example)? I've sampled them, along with others in the 600 ohm range, and I just don't get what music people regularly listen to, to where you would expose yourself to 30 minutes of something like an eventual 500mW+ or more of power? I've got a bunch of classical music with some tracks that have MASSIVE dynamic range swings (actually pretty bad, it's so massive, that to hear the lower parts really well, your volume would need to be so loud, that the higher parts are unbearable). So discounting some of this stuff that isn't pleasurable to listen to in almost any situation - are their any other kinds of music where you're driving both your DAC and AMP to it's near max? What headphones do you use if you're one of these people?

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no issues taking HD650's or HD800's and having them run out of the IEM port on an RME DAC (this doesn't get me to 2mW on a 300ohm load according to the review of the device).

I can pretty much do this too. I should try it with my Aeon 2 Closed as well...

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Nope don't even get close to max output. My T50rp could theoretically take it but I can't. I occasionally get them up to 1v (big dummy guess) but that's face melting loud and quickly unpleasant. The rest of my phones are all very efficient 100db+ per mw and 32ohm and can get satisfyingly loud powered by gnat farts.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I have no issues taking HD650's or HD800's and having them run out of the IEM port on an RME DAC (this doesn't get me to 2mW on a 300ohm load according to the review of the device).
Likewise, the ~0.8 V out of a Clip+ with some HD580s only ever get a bit tight on the very most dynamic classical recordings for me. I mean, we're still talking 98-100 dB SPL peak, not much below traditional recommendations.

The O2 was designed to satisfy even loud listeners on most headphones sans a few outliers (e.g. <90 dB/V planars). The amps available today will often cover even those.

I'll never be the guy to require massive power either way... my usual levels are, if anything, about 10 dB lower than average.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Likewise, the ~0.8 V out of a Clip+ with some HD580s only ever get a bit tight on the very most dynamic classical recordings for me. I mean, we're still talking 98-100 dB SPL peak, not much below traditional recommendations.

The O2 was designed to satisfy even loud listeners on most headphones sans a few outliers (e.g. <90 dB/V planars). The amps available today will often cover even those.

I'll never be the guy to require massive power either way... my usual levels are, if anything, about 10 dB lower than average.

That's why 50mV measurement is very important!

Top Bottom