• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone (((3D))) ?

North_Sky

Major Contributor
✨ https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-...ise-and-fall-samsung-lg-vizio-cameron-avatar/

3d-film-avatar-through-3d-glasses-at-a-cinema-768x6400.jpg

Yes 3D is no more, it's only a niche now.
No more 3D TVs on this continent...America, and still some 3D Blu-ray releases for the ones with 3D projectors. Some 4K Blu-ray players still support 3D Blu-ray playback.

I'm a big fan myself of 3D but this year no more. 4K took over, and 8K TVs @ the video stores are the ones now blowing my brains off.

Some day I might rewind to 3D, when that pandemic will dissipate enough.

Anyone still watching 3D BR flicks from this audio scientific audience?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What hurt it in the home to me was needing to use half the resolution for each eye. So with my HD projector which does 3D, I ended up with right and left versions of 960x540 resolution 3D. What I needed was at least a 4 K projector which would let me do 3D in effectively HD or 2K. The latter releases in movies were much better processed with a much stronger effect which didn't wash out the color in the process. I remember seeing Avatar in the theater in 3D twice. The 3D was nice to have on many scenes, but the color was poor. Later when I watched 2D at home the color was so much more fully saturated it was much better than giving up good color for 3D.

A later release was Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter in 3D. A fun movie, and the tech had improved so you get your 3D plus color on it looked very good in the theater.

Kind of odd how Surround sound has been made to stick. Honestly good 2D color and picture with good 2 channel sound with subs doesn't leave all that much left on the table for basic movie enjoyment.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Active 3D was full HD, for each eye.

And 4K UHD/3D TV (LG OLED circa 2016) was Passive full HD, each eye.
_____

3D is not a popular subject here @ ASR, without a doubt.
Someday it might return ...

Meanwhile ...
https://www.cinera.net/?kid=19VG6B

"Cinera features dual next-gen 2560x1440 micro OLEDs, offering incredible vivid images, high contrast ratio, and crispy details. If that wasn’t enough, it also doubles up as a native 3D display with no modification needed."

Yes of course 2D is brighter, with brighter colors (1080p).
And 2D 4K has more colors, way way more.

It is what it is; we are way behind when it comes to picture awesomeness.
One day 8K will be the norm...and it won't take long ...

And 3D will take longer ... glasses-free.

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Meh, always felt it was a gimmick trying to reassert itself after failing the first time tbh. Not much to really say on it, other than kinda glad focus on it doesn't need to occur, and focus on other things can proceed.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
1598334171237.png

raif71

Major Contributor
I'm still using an LG 3D tv from 2012. It's a passive 3d meaning glasses are very cheap, comfortable to wear and not needing any sync with the display. Even though resolution is halved for passive 3D tech, didn't bother me that much. I have an optoma 3D projector which is active tech but I never bother to watch it in 3D on the account of needing to charge the specs and sync with the display. Too bothersome imo. I still watch 3D every now and then but on the LG. The last 3D BD that I saw was Avengers EndGame.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Meh, always felt it was a gimmick trying to reassert itself after failing the first time tbh. Not much to really say on it, other than kinda glad focus on it doesn't need to occur, and focus on other things can proceed.
I must say however, if anything seems to be getting pointless, it is say 8k or going beyond it. The viewing distance to be able to see that resolution gets unworkable. They'll have to go to a curved screen because being that close to a flat screen will give some geometric distortion out at the edges of the picture.

I remember going to see the movie Reds with a girlfriend who was interested in it for odd reasons. It had a big opening night and we were a few minutes late. So we had to sit in the very first row over near the end of the row. At my age now I know I'd have had a stiff neck the next day. So I don't know what pixel count you need with a 40 ft screen at 10 feet distance. But the geometry ruins it in any case.

DerRoland

2012 I dive into 3D with a 135" screen, a JVC DLA-RS40 and 8 glasses. 2017 made a upgrade to a semi 4k DLA-RS520. The viewing quality was better, but even not perfect (slightly flicker). Have aprox. 20 3D-movies, mostly disney animation.

The next great step I take this year was a Valve Index VR headset. OMG - the brilliant game Half-Life Alyx is a real gamechanger. A thriller. I got goose bumps every day on the mission. This is the real future of 3D. Be inside and an actor in your own movie.

Tks

Major Contributor
I must say however, if anything seems to be getting pointless, it is say 8k or going beyond it. The viewing distance to be able to see that resolution gets unworkable. They'll have to go to a curved screen because being that close to a flat screen will give some geometric distortion out at the edges of the picture.

I remember going to see the movie Reds with a girlfriend who was interested in it for odd reasons. It had a big opening night and we were a few minutes late. So we had to sit in the very first row over near the end of the row. At my age now I know I'd have had a stiff neck the next day. So I don't know what pixel count you need with a 40 ft screen at 10 feet distance. But the geometry ruins it in any case.

Meh I find 4k pointless at the as well. Better suited to I think monitors and such if you ask me where youre real close or playing games up close. The one thing resolution will solve is all thr horrendous aliasing observed in content these days without having to resort to anti aliasing techniques. Also higher resolution for VR headsets is a must.

Though id much rather focus on panel refresh rates, contrast ratios, and HDR along with color space stsrt increasing (I want 12 bit color panels to never have to see color vanding garbage anymore)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Honestly good 2D color and picture with good 2 channel sound with subs doesn't leave all that much left on the table for basic movie enjoyment.
I agree, match the scale of the picture with the scale of sound ( easily achievable in 2 Ch) and you have a impactful experience most have never experienced in the home regardless of their surround system , 3d TV or fancy sound bar that promises immersive sound.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I and all my family enjoy 3D videos on bluray.
Started off with an Epson projector and ended up with a Sony VW760ES. We don't watch that many films but the 3D ones are very popular.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a 45 inch flat screen that does 3D and came with a pair of shutter goggles. But I have yet to operate it in 3D mode. (I just got a 3D capable blue ray player so maybe that will change soon. Very open to suggestions content wise.)
In the past I have been involved in 3D experiments for scientific and medical use. Using CRT monitors and Stereographics shutter goggles.
It's lots of fun when it works.
I saw The Desolation of Smaug I think that was the one at the theater on big screen using Polarization glasses. You had to hold your head at a very fixed angle for it to work right.

It's a fun , expensive, technically difficult, niche without enough standards. Maybe one day.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love 3D on my 85" 4K TV. One of the reasons I bought it. I buy 3D blu-rays from Amazon.uk. I found that Amazon.com does not sell them in the US.

Martin

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
3D movies play OK with Sony Playstation and Playstation VR, but the screen-door effect is very visible if you fixate on it, and of course VR headsets as a class are still clunky.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
2012 I dive into 3D with a 135" screen, a JVC DLA-RS40 and 8 glasses. 2017 made a upgrade to a semi 4k DLA-RS520. The viewing quality was better, but even not perfect (slightly flicker). Have aprox. 20 3D-movies, mostly disney animation.

The next great step I take this year was a Valve Index VR headset. OMG - the brilliant game Half-Life Alyx is a real gamechanger. A thriller. I got goose bumps every day on the mission. This is the real future of 3D. Be inside and an actor in your own movie.

I would love to learn more about the Valve Index VR headset; please give me more info as 3D is in my future projection.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I have a 45 inch flat screen that does 3D and came with a pair of shutter goggles. But I have yet to operate it in 3D mode. (I just got a 3D capable blue ray player so maybe that will change soon. Very open to suggestions content wise.)
In the past I have been involved in 3D experiments for scientific and medical use. Using CRT monitors and Stereographics shutter goggles.
It's lots of fun when it works.
I saw The Desolation of Smaug I think that was the one at the theater on big screen using Polarization glasses. You had to hold your head at a very fixed angle for it to work right.

It's a fun , expensive, technically difficult, niche without enough standards. Maybe one day.

It's on the smaller size but it's ok...you still can enjoy 3D content from Blu-ray movies.
And when you put a 3D Blu-ray movie in your 3D Blu-ray player it syncs automatically with your TV. Make sure you have good batteries and simply face the 3D glasses with your TV, only couple seconds...voilà...easy as A B C.

If you want few suggestion for 3D on Blu-ray I'm one of the guys...with a bunch of them (many many hundreds, 600+). But I'm getting there with 4K as well ...

If you tell me the type of movies you like the most (eg.; sci-fi, drama, romance, comedy, war, western, musical, action, adventure, fantasy, animation, etc., etc., etc.) I sure (100%) can recommend few of the BEST. I don't mind one single bit. It would be my pleasure.

* As in aside, when I first saw Avatar on 3D Blu-ray, I had to jump all the way (((in))).
It was inevitable, love @ first sight. I spent all my money, my wife divorced me, my kids left me also, and I was in heavens crying 3D tears. Since then they all came back after they found out more ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom