• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone (((3D))) ?

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Alright, now we're starting to fly ... :cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a gamer. I'm excited about 3D headsets too. I suppose I'll wait for there to be more selection of games. The product will be more mature by then too. :D

Kouioui

Forum Donor
Owner of a 2016 LG OLED slightly curved 3D display with UHD player and a library of 30 or so 3D discs. There are still some sources of 3D content for rent like Vudu, 3D Blueray Rental, along with imports. I think once VR catches up with natural vision and headphone imaging becomes Smyth virtual Atmos style, we'll see a resurgence of 3D movie production. There are directors like James Cameron who are pushing for glasses-free 3D as future tech so 3D may be in a lull like what happened after the 1950s. I hope I live long enough to witness 3D v3.0 in action.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
For anyone with an interest in 3D and beyond the boundaries of this world ...

20200825_191535.jpg
20200825_191635.jpg
20200825_191732.jpg
20200825_191844.jpg

Yes, animation flicks in 3D on Blu-ray are among the best...more brightness and popping colors...even wearing 3D glasses. Plus the kids (all family) love it, including the wife.

It's a beautiful evening tonight (3D moon in the sky), ... a bright star after a lovely sunny day...all day.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We have a 3D projector and 6 active glasses. Watching 3D is great fun, there is one 3D jazz concert too. It is a pity that 3D goes down. It is similar to Quadrophonic in the 70’s: Brilliant technology but the time is not ripe. A 3D streaming service could potentially rescue it.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
That's great; I thought I was all alone in 3D passion here @ ASR, hopelessness...but then they were two, and three ...

It sure is fun for the entire family, and during a pandemic 3D fun is welcome.
I'm inspired again ...

DerRoland

I would love to learn more about the Valve Index VR headset; please give me more info as 3D is in my future projection.

Well, my VR experience began with an original Oculus Rift CV1 (was a shop selloff at good price). I was very surprised by the interaction and the feeling of virtual reality. The rythm game beatsaber with additional free mods (over 500 musictracks) is a allday game in my family. With the possibility to integrate steam-vr and htc viveport the number of games are really great.
But the resolution of the old Rift CV1 is no more standard, I had the luck to got a rare Valve Index one week before HL-Alyx was released. A great stepup from the CV1, better resolution, wider display, outstanding audio, better tracking and controllers, only one thing is a drawback: both must be connected to a pc with a cable. And you need a fast pc with a powerful graphic card (>2070RTX). At the other side is the complete cable and pc free solution Oculus Quest. But this headset have not the greatest graphic power (smartphone interna) and is not so comfortable as the Index.

HP presents in october the all new Reverb G2 with very good specs (see link further up), sadly the controllers have not the fine single finger tracking of the Valve Index. The G2 has inside-out tracking, what mean you don´t need to install two little black lighthouse tracking devices in your roomcorners, that need the Valve Index. This boxes makes also little high pitch noise (normal is ~35dB, one of my new light house controllers basestation generated worse 45dB (nogo->headache), Steam was so kind to exchange this defective device, after I start a claim).

Some good video channels exists about VR, for example: Virtual Reality Oasis or MRTV.

It is also possible to sitdown in a virtual theatre and enjoy a 3D movie on a big virtual screen with your virtual friends. But don´t be enraged, then your nice neighbor throw popcorn to your seat :). A great experience are 360° videos on youtube, for example this 4k 360° video from a mounted dashcam on a crane while the superbowl halftimeshow. You can look to every side as you think, you are sitting on the crane. Or you fly over the world to your favourite places via google maps.

When you begin with VR, be ready to dive into a whole new universe. Very recommended, like amir says.

And don´t be a fool and start with hardcore movements, like rollercoasters or car races, you feel very fast sick and you gave up before the joy begins. After few weeks your brain have be conditioned for faster applications. For beginners have many games the jump option instead of smooth walking.

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always enjoyed 3D in the theaters (when a good system is used), and LOVE good 3D on my projector home theater system (JVC RS600 projector which is very bright, high contrast, and does a beautiful job with 3D), and a very large screen.

My room is "blacked out" for movies, with black velvet curtains pulled around the whole room, so the room is invisible during movies. Under these conditions, watching movies like Gravity in 3D is astounding. Really you-are-there!

My problem with 3D these days is that I've grown tired with physical media like CDs (got rid of them a while back) and blu-rays. I'm a big movie fan, but the whole physical side of it is feeling less compelling, more taking-up-space.

But the only way to really experience a lot of 3D movies is to purchase them. And I don't really want to be adding to my already hard to store movie collection; I'm trying to shed movies. So, a bit torn on this.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I've always enjoyed 3D in the theaters (when a good system is used), and LOVE good 3D on my projector home theater system (JVC RS600 projector which is very bright, high contrast, and does a beautiful job with 3D), and a very large screen.

My room is "blacked out" for movies, with black velvet curtains pulled around the whole room, so the room is invisible during movies. Under these conditions, watching movies like Gravity in 3D is astounding. Really you-are-there!

My problem with 3D these days is that I've grown tired with physical media like CDs (got rid of them a while back) and blu-rays. I'm a big movie fan, but the whole physical side of it is feeling less compelling, more taking-up-space.

But the only way to really experience a lot of 3D movies is to purchase them. And I don't really want to be adding to my already hard to store movie collection; I'm trying to shed movies. So, a bit torn on this.

The less you think about it the freer you feel from it. That's my view.
Buy when you feel like it, don't buy when it's not essential right now.
What is essential?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The less you think about it the freer you feel from it. That's my view.
Buy when you feel like it, don't buy when it's not essential right now.
What is essential?

So you can be a hoarder, but a Marie Kondo of the mind I guess. ;-)

Top Bottom