• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anybody knows the difference between SMSL C100 and Sanskrit 10th MK III?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The Sanskrit also has
Built-in gravity sensor, automatically switches the screen!
so it can be operated both vertically and horizontally.

Otherwise, the enclosure tends to be a pretty big-ticket item on the BOM. Plus there's always factors that are hard to account for, like batch size and general market environment. The C100 is a very no-nonsense and functional kind of device, which may be worth producing in larger numbers. With these Chinese DACs the pricing may or may not be updated over the product's lifetime either, so things just don't necessarily make any sense.

OP
S

shinewu

Yeah, but that horizonal/vertical switch feels kind of gimmicky. I understand some folks would love it. But for most folks here, the price and performance differences do not make much sense.

jonUK

I am not totally sure but I think the C100 is a special model for Aoshida Audio, as is the C200. As I understand it, they make some models specially for the larger distributors. I have the C200, which at the time of buying I thought had the most attractive blend of features at the price range I was looking at (vs things like the Topping E30, DX3-Pro and SMSL SU-6 and D-6). On paper at least, the C100 looks slightly better feature-wise than the Sanskrit with equal technical specs. It's a bewildering line up to be honest - so many slightly different models...

Wekhrlin

You should definitely be careful with the SMSL C100: With the wrong source, you will hear noise via USB. They are quiet and you have to turn up the amplifier a good amount to notice them, but they are there. More seriously, even with a reasonably good power supply, the DAC will produce noticeable background noise when the coax or optical input is selected. Only selected—nothing connected! This should undoubtedly not be the case! It is so loud (at least on my test unit) that it is clearly perceptible even at a volume at which I can listen to music well with my headphones.

Prle

Which one is recommend to buy? I dont understand why is C100 cheaper…

Wekhrlin

I have not been able to test the Sanskrit. So I don't know if the problems I described exist here as well. You could of course test the C100 and if you have no issues, this would be the better price-performance ratio.

HappyMetalGuy

I order S.M.S.L. SU-1. I hope it’s good. Budget DAC with great specification….
Nice I'm looking forward to your thoughts. I'm interested on the C100 or SU-1, we just need measurements. Dont forget to comment on audiosciencereview su-1
You should definitely be careful with the SMSL C100: With the wrong source, you will hear noise via USB. They are quiet and you have to turn up the amplifier a good amount to notice them, but they are there. More seriously, even with a reasonably good power supply, the DAC will produce noticeable background noise when the coax or optical input is selected. Only selected—nothing connected! This should undoubtedly not be the case! It is so loud (at least on my test unit) that it is clearly perceptible even at a volume at which I can listen to music well with my headphones.
This was a problem for me in the more expensive M500 MKII it went back because of that.

Top Bottom