• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anybody here using hearing aids?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi

Is anybody here using hearing aids?

I'm curious if at home, if you want to enjoy music in better sound quality than the hearing aids, you use software EQ to listen to music?

Where the software EQ is making adjustments based on your own (audiologist measured) hearing profile?

Does it allow you to still enjoy music at home, much more than hearing aids?

I know this doesn't need to be limited to people wearing hearing aids.

Anybody can go do an audiologist hearing test and then EQ to your own hearing profile.

But I'm interested if this software EQ with good headphones allows people with hearing aids to enjoy music now , like they used to before hearing damage?

At some point we will all suffer hearing damage to various extents, so we're all in the same boat.

So if you do wear hearing aids, please don't feel shy to share your experiences !

evseneker

New member here; registered to reply. I wear hearing aids. I had not been able to listen to music for many years.

I don't use EQ on my current system, as the hearing aids are setup to bring the levels up to compensate for the loss. I use over the ear headphones for some conference calls (Zoom, Teams) but prefer using speakers since the hearing aids don't contribute to what I hear; maybe some EQ would be beneficial with headphones.

My first pair of hearing aids did a little more than amplify some sound, but not by much. To use an analogy, my current pair of hearing aids were like going from a bicycle to a Ferrari. The hearing test measured the loss; the EQ was done in each device with a microphone right at the eardrum to measure both what the hearing aid speaker output and outside sound.

Recently bought a Topping D30 to add to my Sony V555ES receiver; on most cd's it really upgraded the sound compared to the internal DAC on the receiver; on some cd's the internal DAC sounds better. The take away is that I can hear the difference. Have recapped a couple of old receivers I had not used for 20 or more years, and now have 4 systems in the house. One system is in the office, where I can enjoy music while working from home.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
I don't use EQ on my current system, as the hearing aids are setup to bring the levels up to compensate for the loss

Thanks so much for sharing.

Since your hearing aids have had their built in EQ set to compensate for your current hearing profile, I wonder if similar EQ adjustments for headphones (and speakers) could really improve things, for music listening without the hearing aids in.

I don't know enough about hearing aid technology to know if properly EQ'ed headphones/speaker room correction can or cannot replace hearing aids for home music listening.

Might be a fun project perhaps later.

Happy to read you're enjoying the music with your latest new gear !

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
To use an analogy, my current pair of hearing aids were like going from a bicycle to a Ferrari. The hearing test measured the loss; the EQ was done in each device with a microphone right at the eardrum to measure both what the hearing aid speaker output and outside sound.

And in case it helps somebody, feel free to share the make and model of your current hearing aids !

evseneker

The hearing aids are Oticon brand, Opn line, miniRITE model. They have 36 or 48 processing channels. The doctor showed the configuration screen as he fine tuned them. It was unreal to hear my footsteps on the carpet leaving the office. They also have bluetooth that connects to smart phone, a tv connected box (that can be used for music) and a microphone that allows connection to the smart phone for phone calls and music streaming. Music directly into the hearing aids has no low end, as they are really designed to augment middle to high frequency hearing loss.

I don't know if you could EQ a speaker to compensate for hearing loss, other than to relate that my wife hated listening to music if it was even slightly EQ'd for my hearing loss; it was WAY too bright at any volume level. I would think a headphone EQ'd for you hearing loss would work better, as you are likely to have it setup for each person using them, if shared. My hearing doctor chose the speaker and double vented domes (hold the speaker in the middle of the ear canal and allows lower frequencies from around you to be heard normally; ie bass) to get the best frequency response out to 7 or 8Khz if I remember correctly. With a good source, cymbals are crystal clear and have ring and decay like I remember so many years ago.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks so much for sharing.

Since your hearing aids have had their built in EQ set to compensate for your current hearing profile, I wonder if similar EQ adjustments for headphones (and speakers) could really improve things, for music listening without the hearing aids in.

I don't know enough about hearing aid technology to know if properly EQ'ed headphones/speaker room correction can or cannot replace hearing aids for home music listening.

Might be a fun project perhaps later.

Happy to read you're enjoying the music with your latest new gear !

I have wondered the same because my wife's uncle uses hearing aids and used to enjoy HiFi.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
The hearing aids are Oticon brand, Opn line, miniRITE model. They have 36 or 48 processing channels. The doctor showed the configuration screen as he fine tuned them. It was unreal to hear my footsteps on the carpet leaving the office. They also have bluetooth that connects to smart phone, a tv connected box (that can be used for music) and a microphone that allows connection to the smart phone for phone calls and music streaming. Music directly into the hearing aids has no low end, as they are really designed to augment middle to high frequency hearing loss.

I don't know if you could EQ a speaker to compensate for hearing loss, other than to relate that my wife hated listening to music if it was even slightly EQ'd for my hearing loss; it was WAY too bright at any volume level. I would think a headphone EQ'd for you hearing loss would work better, as you are likely to have it setup for each person using them, if shared. My hearing doctor chose the speaker and double vented domes (hold the speaker in the middle of the ear canal and allows lower frequencies from around you to be heard normally; ie bass) to get the best frequency response out to 7 or 8Khz if I remember correctly. With a good source, cymbals are crystal clear and have ring and decay like I remember so many years ago.

Thanks again for sharing.

I often read that we mostly experiences losses in the high frequency range but not so much in the lower frenquencies.

You don't have to answer because it is a personal question but for you is hearing, say below 1kHz fine? For you has that remained un-affected?

Of course it will vary from person to person.

Very happy to read that the technology has improved so much.

As per my original post, we are all in the same boat because at some point I feel like we're all going to be wearing hearing aids.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks again for sharing.

I often read that we mostly experiences losses in the high frequency range but not so much in the lower frenquencies.

You don't have to answer because it is a personal question but for you is hearing, say below 1kHz fine? For you has that remained un-affected?

Of course it will vary from person to person.

Very happy to read that the technology has improved so much.

As per my original post, we are all in the same boat because at some point I feel like we're all going to be wearing hearing aids.
Not sure about all of us, but I probably will.

Mojo Warrior

In my latest November editorial, devoted to Bose SoundControl™ Hearing Aids, I concluded my ramblings with a wish: audiophile-quality hearing aids, for serious music listening, since the Bose product was aimed at speech only. Well, after few days, the good news arrived!

[Knowles & Lucid]

Knowles Corporation, a market leader and global provider of advanced micro-acoustic microphones, speakers, audio solutions, high performance capacitors and RF products, has just announced the availability of a new series of receiver, a two-way balanced armature product (see pic at the right), specifically aimed to enable hearing health applications to deliver audiophile-quality music performance. Partnering with Lucid Hearing®, a market leader in hearing aids, they designed and released the Westone Audio High Fidelity DWT, a premium hearing aid with a “Receiver in Canal” (RIC) that delivers audiophile quality sound. Lucid Hearing is the parent company of Lucid Audio, which also owns consumer audio focused brands such as Etymotic Research (acquired in 2018, maker of excellent earphones, see our review of the ER-4S) and Westone (acquired in 2020, maker of pro in-ear and studio monitors), hence they know a thing or two about high quality professional audio.

The new Knowles GM series balanced armature receiver is a full-range driver that provides discreet size for comfortable fit, battery life for all-day wear, and - as they claim - “unprecedented sound clarity, especially important for enjoyment of music”. Jon Kiachian, Vice President and GM of Knowles Hearing Health Technologies said “Today, for the first time, people with hearing impairment can listen to music the way it should be heard. As the inventor of the modern hearing aid receiver and leading supplier of balanced armature drivers to professional musicians, Knowles is the ideal partner for a hearing health leader, Lucid Hearing, to join forces with to deliver premium music quality in a hearing aid for the first time.”

Hence, here we are, our wish has come true. Even if hearing impaired (sooner or later our ears will leave us in the dust) we will still be able to hear high quality music as it is intended to be.

Blake

The problem with the idea of EQing for hearing loss is that hearing loss is not linear with volume. Case in point: I wear hearing aids and have moderate hearing loss centered around 3-4 KHz. If I were to go by my hearing chart, I might think that I need to raise those frequencies as much as 50-60 dB! But that's not true. The chart means that the very quietest sounds at those frequencies have to be brought up by that amount before I can hear them compared to people with normal hearing. It does not mean that those frequencies are always 50-60 dB quieter to me than to anyone else. If they're played at even low-moderate volume, they seem to be more or less as loud to me as they are to anyone else, and I notice no dip in volume when doing sweeps.

The equal loudness curve undoubtedly comes into play here, too.

Ultimately I decided to go back to circumaural headphones (having mainly used IEMs for years) so that I could wear my headphones with my hearing aids if I want to. But honestly I often listen without my them because I don't notice much difference.

Everyone's hearing (and hearing loss) is different, of course, so YMMV.

the_hamster 2

My hearing loss is especially acute in the 4Kz-6Kz range, which removes loads of musical information…wearing hearing aids whilst listening to music of any genre via any medium is far more satisfying than without the appliances.

Jujee

Hello! I’m about to get my fairs hearing aids
Do I have a possibility to get those from online pharmacy if I lose one or something?

Last edited:

a2copywriter

I wear a hearing aid to compensate for mild to moderate loss in one ear. Put off getting a hearing aid for years because I was "too young." During those years, I listened to a few dozen hours of music.

Now, I put my hearing aid in when I wake up and take it out only when I shower and sleep.

I'm back to enjoying music, finally.

That said...

I'm thrilled to have a hearing aid (versus hearing loss without one) -- but there's a noticeable difference in sound quality.

I'll be following this thread for people's suggestions for listening with hearing aids... and to find out about high-fidelity options.

Thanks!

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a a great discussion. I would assume audiophiles requiring hearing aids would get very adept at equalizing to their preferences.

a2copywriter

I should also add that I barely use my Etymotic ER-4S these days, and my audiologist didn't know how to EQ them for the ear with hearing loss.

Blake

Again, EQ-ing to hearing loss is not that simple since hearing loss is not linear with volume at a given frequency. While I have moderate hearing loss at 3-4 KHz, I don't need those frequencies boosted if they're already loud. I do need them boosted if they're very quiet. EQ can be used to boost a frequency, but only by a fixed amount (unless there's a product I'm unaware of that will boost dynamically based on the input amplitude at any given time).

I'm very interested to hear more about the product above, but so far I can't find much beyond the press release, e.g., availability, pricing, etc. I hope it's as good as it promises!

Hearing aids complicate things, too, since they're generally designed for speech rather than music, and they compress audio (i.e., reduce dynamics). In my case I think that's less noticeable because my hearing aids don't seal off my ear canal and I hear the louder stuff anyway, but it's something to be aware of. If you have hearing aids that form a seal (e.g., custom fit), the louder sounds may get brought down. You may also get distortion if the hearing aids can't keep up with the rapid changes in frequency and amplitude associated with music.

This is a good, quick primer: https://medicine.uiowa.edu/iowaprot...-aid-ha-pages-ha-users-and-family/hearing-aid

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do hearing aids have limiters and compression?

Top Bottom