• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anybody figured out how to migrate Dirac Live licenses between MiniDSP products?

squidbrand

I currently use a MiniDSP DDRC-24, but I'm considering upgrading to a Flex at some point in the next few months. I don't expect it to sound any different, but I want to make the switch to get a coaxial S/PDIF input, so I have the option of connecting my turntable from the digital out of a Parks Puffin, and also to get that front screen, which will be very convenient since I use this unit as my system's preamp. Not having any visual indicator of volume is getting kind of annoying.

According to MiniDSP, it wouldn't be an option to move the Dirac license to the Flex and downgrade the DDRC-24 to the 2x4 HD (which I wanted to do in order to make it simpler and easier to sell), since the Dirac license is specifically tied to the hardware.

Has anybody investigated ways around this? Perhaps some alternative software besides MiniDSP's own console that would be able to back up and restore the firmware of the SHARC chip, which I assume is what stores the license?

Mkaram

I don't know about minidsp but when I wanted to transfer licenses for my HTP1 I created a support ticket with Dirac and they took care of it within a few days.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Hi,

DDRC24 can be converted back to 2x4HD (and vice versa) using old Minidsp plugin or new console app) with a single click.
Same for a Flex device.
Dirac live license is generated for a minidsp device and can only be used with that device. It is also transferable from one owner to another one if the device is sold to another person (you just need to send a email to minidsp with the account id of the new owner).
if you sell your DDRC24 converted to 2x4HD without transferring the licence to new owner (even if not used), it will be "lost" as it can be used / activated anymore on same device.

D

Deleted member 48726

Hi,

DDRC24 can be converted back to 2x4HD (and vice versa) using old Minidsp plugin or new console app) with a single click.
Same for a Flex device.
Dirac live license is generated for a minidsp device and can only be used with that device. It is also transferable from one owner to another one if the device is sold to another person (you just need to send a email to minidsp with the account id of the new owner).
if you sell your DDRC24 converted to 2x4HD without transferring the licence to new owner (even if not used), it will be "lost" as it can be used / activated anymore on same device.
Where is this info from?

I have a 2x4 HD. I bought DL license for it and upgraded the FW. -It is now a DDRC24.

Say I buy a Flex in the future. -Do I need to downgrade my DDRC24 to 2x4HD and then submit a request to transfer the DL license to the Flex?

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Where is this info from?

I have a 2x4 HD. I bought DL license for it and upgraded the FW. -It is now a DDRC24.

Say I buy a Flex in the future. -Do I need to downgrade my DDRC24 to 2x4HD and then submit a request to transfer the DL license to the Flex?
As I said licence is generated for a specific device and is tied to it.
I had a 2x4HD then I bought the license and "converted" it to a DDRC24.
Later I bought the Flex but couldn't reuse the licence from DDRC24 (even if converted back to 2x4HD). And I had to buy a new licence for the Flex.

When I said the license can be transferred, it is between minidsp account for the same device (if device ownership changes), not across devices.

Top Bottom