• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any women on this forum?

ayane

Forum Donor
Just curious. A lot of these engineering-oriented spaces tend to be more popular among men.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Just curious. A lot of these engineering-oriented spaces tend to be more popular among men.

@RayDunzl is a woman. Don't judge him by his looks cause his quite competent. @Blumlein 88 was a woman, very hot looking, but he had a change of heart (and sex) recently. Also very competent though. And then there is our host, @amirm - he's got both, look and brain. :D

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think about 98% of hi-fi is male oriented. It's been that way since the early times. I remember reading an editorial on subscribership in Audio magazine, and it was that way. Peter Aczel once commented the same.

The only female participation I remember, is that guy from Stereophile, whose wife could tell a difference whenever he changed preamps... while she was still in the kitchen.

Oh yeah, there was Enid Lumley, the crackpot tin foil lady that used to write for Absolute Sound. At first I thought that it was Harry making a joke about the hi-end, and his role in it, but then I realized he was basically humorless, and took seriously all his blather.

Zog

Well ayane, don't hold us in suspense ....

Actually I wish there were more female audiophiles. A little anecdote: my daughter recently recommended to my Don't let the Kids Win by Julia Jacklin (A PYT* from Sydney). Being the obedient subject that I am I purchased the CD and the LP. The CD is a fine work with 3 or 4 standout tracks. The LP of the same material is dire. No effort to allow for the vinyl mastering.

* Pretty Young Thing

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do wonder why males need female gendered avatars. Explanations?
I don't know. Maybe it's because they like looking at women? I for one use snake demons.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, a lot of hi-fi is not just the sound, but the tech. Women are generally not in to tech--I mean EE. That's just the way it is. I have a friend who teaches engineering at a university, and he tells me the big push is for women. They'll accept almost any woman to the program. But a) there are not that many that are interested, and b) the one's that are don't do as well as the men. I know that goes against what a lot of people might want to imagine or wish for, but it's reality.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
I do wonder why males need female gendered avatars. Explanations?
I’ve got an avatar that has meaning to me and makes me smile.
Possibly that is why.

raif71

Major Contributor
I too wish that there are more women into hi-fi and video forums. Imagine all the different perspectives that we could all share with each other. On @amirm avatar, reminds me of the japanese lady in the Shogun mini series when I was a young lad :).

Wombat

Master Contributor
Excuses, excuses. ;) That's OK. ;)

Waiting for Ray.:)

Last edited:

BillG

Major Contributor
I know that goes against what a lot of people might want to imagine or wish for, but it's reality.

The first software engineering consulting firm I worked at decades ago was ~50% female, and they were all competent, with many of them being excellent - this whole misogynistic attitude of women not being technically inclined is incorrect. Hell! If NASA hadn't had a staff of female engineers and mathematicians, many of them African American by the way, the US wouldn't have won the space race!

Perhaps stop discouraging them with these myths and attitudes, and they definitely have a negative impact on them, and we'd see more of them... :facepalm:

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
The first software engineering consulting firm I worked at decades was ~50% female, and they were all competent, with many of them being excellent - this whole misogynistic attitude of women not being technically inclined is incorrect. Hell! If NASA hadn't had a staff of female engineers and mathematicians, many of them African American by the way, the US wouldn't have won the space race!

Perhaps stop discouraging them with these myths and attitudes, and they definitely have a negative impact on them, and we'd see more of them... :facepalm:

Women who are interested in STEM, nowadays, are not held back. Companies are thirsting for them. More interest is needed from the female gender to make greater representation happen.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
There's usually oodles of mansplainin' goin' on [guys do it to guys, ya know], usually repellant to the fairer sex.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
There's usually oodles of mansplainin' goin' on [guys do it to guys, ya know], usually repellant to the fairer sex.

Well, let me explain why you feel that way, but shouldn't... ;):cool:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
THell! If NASA hadn't had a staff of female engineers and mathematicians, many of them African American by the way, the US wouldn't have won the space race!
space-control-room-526.jpg.jpg

Top Bottom