• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any women on this forum?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
System logs say roughly 4% of our total visitors (not just members) are female. Definitely interested in what we could do to increase that.
Sadly the logs won't tell us if it's women looking for themselves, or gift researching for someone else.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I regret that my avatar is from the cover a book derided as "dick lit." Sorry, it was not intentional. Sadly, it is dick lit, and while it has spectacular failings, it has spectacular successes too. Gene Wolfe, Shadow and Claw. I began writing sci-fi owing partly to Wolfe as inspiration. He has a modest but devoted following.
He also had a phenomenal mustache according to Wikipedia. ;)

Although I think many of the stereotypes are overblown (there are all kinds of people and interests), many exist due to obvious demographic trends - regardless of how the current culture wants to spin things. There probably are many fewer women than men involved in the "hobby of hifi" - but on the other side I would guess, based on my experiences, that there are more female music lovers. My wife definitely appreciates good sound - but has no desire to engage in the pursuit of achieving it (although she might - if she didn't know I was already obsessing over the next upgrade). :rolleyes:

She's very appreciative of the "hand-me-downs" (moving the JBL 305's and CA DacMagic to her office when I put the Adam T7V's in the den) but she'd be happy listening to the crappy iMac speaker - if that were the only option available. I'm more willing to put off listening until I can do so under more "optimal conditions" and better gear. One thing I do always keep an ear out for is when she's thumbing through one of my catalogs or reading one of my Stereophile issues is the "Oh, that's a really nice looking piece of gear". Not that looks mean sound quality... but if the WAF is a done deal - that's probably something worth investigating! :cool:

Jim777

Forum Donor
The only female participation I remember, is that guy from Stereophile, whose wife could tell a difference whenever he changed preamps... while she was still in the kitchen.
She probably "heard" the difference so she'd be left alone fairly quick :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
She probably "heard" the difference so she'd be left alone fairly quick :)

She was making popcorn and cooking bacon, and she could still hear it...
Sure honey...that's definitely better...

graz_lag

Major Contributor

WifeWalkOut.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
System logs say roughly 4% of our total visitors (not just members) are female. Definitely interested in what we could do to increase that.

Ban Men.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
From my anecdotal evidence / experience women aren't that interested in hi-fi; they just want something that works when they want to use earphones or listen to music.

It seems like us guys are also into the technical aspect, aesthetics, technology, having some kind of bragging rights, spitballing on different topics etc. lol

digicidal

Major Contributor
I have absolutely no problem with her opinions at all. In fact, the bold portion virtually guarantees that I will find you an expert at something! ;)

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Audio Beatnik is run by a woman and a man. They have an ongoing series of articles about women in audio: https://theaudiobeatnik.com/category/women-in-audio/

They're in the 925 area code, so not far from Fremont. They're also subjectivists and proud of it. Shrug.

I have no idea if any of them come here, but if you're looking for fellow female audiophiles/women in the industry and local women, that might be a place to look.

I was signed up to go to an audio show then got the flu. My wife went in my stead and she had a great time. I did not take her advice and buy Benchmark electronics and Salk speakers, but it was solid advice. If you're looking for a Bay Area woman to go to an audio show with you, she might be up for it.

Often women on male-dominated forums will just use gender-neutral names. Why deal with the hassle?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What about Susan Parker. The "Zero Impedance Feedback" person.

"Female" could be debated (XY). Ditto Steffi Bench, who I knew as Steve and is both a terrific person and a really brilliant engineer. There's also a popular (and interesting) YouTube person, whose name escapes me at the moment, with a similar history.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
"Female" could be debated (XY). Ditto Steffi Bench, who I knew as Steve and is both a terrific person and a really brilliant engineer. There's also a popular (and interesting) YouTube person, whose name escapes me at the moment, with a similar history.

Maybe you're thinking of Jeri Ellsworth ? She's a self taught engineer..

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I grew up with a screwdriver in my toy box and I think that's the secret for creating engineers these days.

It's always been the "secret" and hardly anything new. The only difference "these days", is perhaps parents are less likely to fill their kids' toy baskets with gender specific toys as much as they once would have.

My sister had the dolls, the artwork books, cooking sets and the ponies. I had the model trains, the electronics and engineering toys. The support and guidance for both of us came from both parents, but the expertise in those interests, came from one side or the other.

Next generation, my son is technical, mathematical and loves electronics and computing and that's purely because he was surrounded by it from a baby. Did I ever feel the need to give him dolls, a make-up set, or get out the sewing machine? No, but if he wants to learn how to sew, I can teach him, as I learnt from my mother as a very young child.

If I'd had a daughter, no doubt she'd be able to read resistor colour codes and solder like a boss too.

Nature vs nurture. It's not rocket science.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When I was in graduate school, I did a master's thesis on the historic scarcity of celebrated women composers. The most chauvinistic writing I found was by other women, though they were far outnumbered by men who wrote on the subject (the men wrote offhandedly, as a rule). I got my masters back in 1990. (Oh, BTW, I got attacked by some in my class for formulating the thesis in the first place, but I digress).

The music world, at least, has changed. A newly-minted ph.d., Holly Herndon, is marvelous. But so many others, including conductors now, with Marion Alsop leading the way. It would be interesting to know how many of these people are also gearheads.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Send me a fat girl dress, a wig and a giant bra, and I will give it a try, LOL.

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
Women engineers?
Might I mention Daniela Manger (https://manger-msw.com)
Yes, I have and love two sets of Manger loudspeakers!

As for the dearth of women in audiophoolery, I cling to the hope that women's more finely tuned BS-meters as far less tolerant of audio-nut snake-oil than their male counterparts. So I (naively) hope that sites such as ASR will over time begin to rectify that imbalance.

That said, I do sound & lighting for local bands and festivals and I can absolutely affirm that the enthusiasm and attendance of women at gigs is a major part of their success. Women love live music, good live music and it seems are much more likely to dance like "no-one is watching" to it too!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EveAnna Manley comes to mind.

I have been aware of EveAnna Manley and Manley Labs for over two decades, and she is one of the most fascinating and interesting women in audio that I know of.

This thread prompted me to use Google to see what EveAnna is currently up to - and I found a long and fascinating June, 2019 interview with her on YouTube. I started another thread about her with the video embedded. Her personal story is here - scroll down for the personal part...

Top Bottom