• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any women on this forum?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I think of audio engineers, even using that term loosely, to include the self-taught designer-entrepreneur, I can't think of any women. I'm not saying there are not any, I just can't recall any. In marketing, it was/is different. Women graced stereo advertising. It is helpful for advertisers to 'play to their audience', so it was not uncommon to see good looking women in advertisements for stereo gear. Sometimes, if you went to a large trade show, you would see women... 'booth babes' they were called.

There is nothing wrong with men having their hobbies, interests, and careers; and women having theirs. To artificially skew things is in no one's interest... whether it is EE school, or audiofooling.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would like a show of hands from Women in this forum.

Not those only using women Women avatar :)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wilma Cozart Fine may not have been an engineer.. A prominent person in the world of recording and record producing , she remained until her death.

Krunok

Major Contributor

Now that is an unprovoked discrimination aimed toward all members using women avatars. I say we treat them as they feel! :D

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Now that is an unprovoked discrimination aimed toward all members using women avatars. I say we treat them as they feel! :D

OP
ayane

ayane

Forum Donor

*raises hand*

I'm not really sure what got me into the hobby, but it was definitely around 2010, when I was in middle school. I have seen literally no other women here or on other audiophile forums. It's a shame, really, because audio is the coolest thing ever. (Also, DSP is the shit! What EE doesn't smile with appreciation for all DSP can do, heh =)

I'll definitely brainwash - er, I mean show the light - to my children when I have them to get them into audio. I grew up with a screwdriver in my toy box and I think that's the secret for creating engineers these days.

As for avatars, I think people just pick something they like to look at. I only started using my actual face pretty recently because I liked the anonymity, but now I'm trying to establish myself professionally and I thought why not.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
When I think of audio engineers, even using that term loosely, to include the self-taught designer-entrepreneur, I can't think of any women.
Eveanne (sp?) Manley comes to mind.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I regret that my avatar is from the cover a book derided as "dick lit." Sorry, it was not intentional. Sadly, it is dick lit, and while it has spectacular failings, it has spectacular successes too. Gene Wolfe, Shadow and Claw. I began writing sci-fi owing partly to Wolfe as inspiration. He has a modest but devoted following.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
*raises hand*

I only started using my actual face pretty recently because I liked the anonymity, but now I'm trying to establish myself professionally and I thought why not.
That is why I chose Taoist snake demons from the Beijing Opera as an avatar. Much better to look at than me. I have a face that's made for radio. Without the voice. LOL I commend you for your bravery!

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I do wonder why males need female gendered avatars. Explanations?
Well I don't need it, this was just an attractive capture of people (women) enjoying "hifi"

I don't know any women who are interested in hifi or participating forums. There have been some, but they are not active.

ayane - wellcome and I hope that you will stay here!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
System logs say roughly 4% of our total visitors (not just members) are female. Definitely interested in what we could do to increase that.
On an open forum, folks will gravitate to what interests them. As long as people feel welcome, that's the thing. I think the civility level around here is pretty high. At least that is my impression.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
*raises hand*

I'm not really sure what got me into the hobby, but it was definitely around 2010, when I was in middle school. I have seen literally no other women here or on other audiophile forums. It's a shame, really, because audio is the coolest thing ever. (Also, DSP is the shit! What EE doesn't smile when working with DSP stuff, heh =)

I'll definitely brainwash - er, I mean show the light - to my children when I have them to get them into audio. I grew up with a screwdriver in my toy box and I think that's the secret for creating engineers these days.

As for avatars, I think people just pick something they like to look at. I only started using my actual face pretty recently because I liked the anonymity, but now I'm trying to establish myself professionally and I thought why not.

<-- Another EE here.... :) Not really into DSP though...

D

Deleted member 4987

I always giggle at those 'my wife in the kitchen heard a night and day difference' posts/ reviews, giggle because obviously most of you nerds haven't even spoken to a woman in the last week. Well maybe to order a coffee or something.

Some kind of winking eye emoji

BostonJack

Editor
*raises hand*

I'm not really sure what got me into the hobby, but it was definitely around 2010, when I was in middle school. I have seen literally no other women here or on other audiophile forums. It's a shame, really, because audio is the coolest thing ever. (Also, DSP is the shit! What EE doesn't smile when working with DSP stuff, heh =)

I've been working in tech for >4 decades now and the trend is definitely towards more women in the workplace. Currently, I'm at a company making 3d metal printers and this place has the highest ratio of women/men I've seen. Perhaps because of the multi-discipline requirements: EE, software, materials science, mech. E. etc. Lowest ratio of women to men was at old-school tech doing direct design of computers, routers, and microprocessor chips. Those areas haven't budged much, in my casual observations.

Audio is more of an obsession than anything else. At least for me and those like me.

Jack

Top Bottom