• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any Wharfedale fans out there? I'm considering the D330 Tower.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you heard these? Is there a Wharfedale "house sound"? Wharfedale seems to be getting an even better reputation for high-quality budget loudspeakers as time goes on., but I have never seen the D300 series mentioned here at ASR.

What I read about the D330s, which list for $600USD, is that they are "polite and non-fatiguing" with a rolled off treble. They would be a little big for my room, but the bottom port rather then a rear-port with bass-limiting port plugs should be better for bass response in a small room. And of course, DSP EQ would be used.

Plus, I really like the looks of them compared to the box-like sharp edges of most budget "monkey-coffin" and tower loudspeakers - and for aesthetic reasons, I prefer small towers to bookshelf speakers on stands. The curved-edge design would allow me to have a local fine woodworker easily apply real veneer to replace the imitation walnut vinyl. (The D300 series was apparently designed by the same guy who did the rounded edges of the Q-Acoustics loudspeakers.)

Wharfedale D330 Towers.jpg

Last edited:

Rockfella

Forum Donor
These Fs are really good looking!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are some measurements of the D330, quite ok for their price and tuned to be rather used close to the front wall.
https://www.hifitest.de/test/lautsprecher_surround/wharfedale-d-300_serie_17640

Thank you. I used Chrome Canary to translate the review, and the conclusion of the review reinforces my positive opinion of the D330's:

Conclusion
For an extraordinarily low price, the D300 set from Wharfedale offers a powerful surround set that cuts a remarkably good figure both for film sound and as a hi-fi set. The balanced sound, the precise spatial representation, the uncritical arrangement in the living room and the elegant design are above average for this price range. Extreme sound for the money ...

Guermantes

Not sure you would class me as a "fan", but I have a pair of Wharfedale Precision 517s that were my first serious speaker purchase. Sealed design, very solid cabinets, nice-sounding ceramic tweeter, but rather lacking in low frequencies. Never seen any measurements for them.

ENG

Forum Donor
I have Wharfedale Jade 5, Reva 2, Diamond 220 and Diamond 210. I think you got a lot for your money, but I have never seen measuring at Amir's level. They are medium sensitive and lack in low frequencies (agree with Guermantes). But that is not a big deal as most rooms er too small to really let low frequencies unfold. The Jade 5 are powered by Hegel H390 and feed by Moon Mind 2/Topping D70 and all in all very dynamic and detailed. You can really detect the quality of the recording/mastering. Most of it is not good enough and I'm into classical music.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am curious about the line. The D330 is a bit expensive but if you like, I can get a pair of D320 for testing as they are just $199 for a pair! They seem to be similar to D330 but with one less bass driver.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have Wharfedale Jade 5, Reva 2, Diamond 220 and Diamond 210. I think you got a lot for your money, but I have never seen measuring at Amir's level. They are medium sensitive and lack in low frequencies (agree with Guermantes). But that is not a big deal as most rooms er too small to really let low frequencies unfold. The Jade 5 are powered by Hegel H390 and feed by Moon Mind 2/Topping D70 and all in all very dynamic and detailed. You can really detect the quality of the recording/mastering. Most of it is not good enough and I'm into classical music.
I have the Diamond 225s and am happy with them for the $299 I spent for a bookshelf with a 6.5". I'm pretty sure they are discontinuing the diamond line as the 220s are hard to find now so I expect the 225s to follow bc the D-line is replacing them as the budget line. John Atkinson measured the 225 for Stereophile and here is one of the graphs with grille on vs grille off. I plan on EQing them when i get the time to play with REW and minidsp later this year (i hope).

Attachments

• 317WD225fig4.jpg
    317WD225fig4.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 543

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own the Jade 5 and really liked it. The Stereophile measurements of the Jade 7 are good and the Stereophile/NRC measurements of the Diamond series is also good for the money. All my major pairs of speakers have non-standard bass ports, I have a bookshelf and tower which are transmission line and the Jade 5 actually has bass slots in the base, excuse the dust:
PSAaXai_d.jpg

I really wonder how their new Evo & Elysian lineups measures, as it’s their first time using an AMT to my knowledge.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am curious about the line. The D330 is a bit expensive but if you like, I can get a pair of D320 for testing as they are just $199 for a pair! They seem to be similar to D330 but with one less bass driver.
You mean the D310, the D320 is $249 and has the same woofer size.

Do note that the D330 has a different crossover: 3.2kHz vs 2.4kHz for the D320 vs 2.2kHz for the D310.

milus

@Amir did you finally get those D320 (or plan to measure them)?

Thanks!

Audiofool1Q84

Bumping this thread. Would love to hear of any new experiences with the D330s? I'm thinking of buying them this weekend and have no way to audition any time soon

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Bumping this thread. Would love to hear of any new experiences with the D330s? I'm thinking of buying them this weekend and have no way to audition any time soon
Welcome Aboard @Cred0h.

Loudogp250

Has anyone heard or purchased the D330? Wharfedale has discontinued them so the price is cheap. I am looking at a pair for a spare room.

Benedium

Forum Donor
The hot favourite now is the diamond 12 series. Looks quite affordable as well?

Eeyoredave

Not sure if I have much experience, but have the Linton and the Kef LS50, running both in the same amps, prefer the LS50. The Linton needed to be played louder to sound better. Have the N-Core 400 and the Naim Uniti Atom, prefer the Naim amp with the Linton.

SlowCar

Will dimonds 330 be good match witch denon 1700? Especially impedance wise?
Is diamond 3xx series good formht?

Daskipedia

My first Home Theater System is a whole wharfedale d300 series.
------------------------------------------
Yamaha RX-V585 (7.2 / 5.2.2)
Wharfedale D330-v2 - Floorstanding pairs
Wharfedale D310 - Surround pairs
Wharfedale D300C - Centre
Wharfedale D3003D - Atmos/DTS X pair
------------------------------------------
My thoughts on my purchase :

Simply WOW ! -- STUNNING CLARITY, DETAIL, CLEAR BASS, SOUND STAGE, PRESENCE and... A life changing sound experience as a first-time owner of this Home Theater system. Happy owner !

The bass is clear, mids are detailed and highs are good (a bit lacking though). I can play music at really high volumes with NO distortion at all, while hearing and differentiating the different instruments in a song. The Receiver is powerful and can push the speakers to their limits easily. Lots of options for movies/music on the Yamaha Receiver. It pairs well with the speakers.

The Wharfedale Speakers are superb in terms of sound, whether music or movies. They are warm speakers and do not give you "ear fatigue". It is a pleasure to listen to them for hours, without getting a headache or hearing over amplified tones during playback.They are a huge upgrade for me (Moving on from my 2.1 Hifi setup with commercial fake wattage ratings and distorted sounds at even half volume LOL).

I paired my system with a Yamaha SW 300 Subwoofer and I can push the volume louder without distortion, also, having a sub really makes your speakers perform better as they dont have to deal with low frequencies.

Other speakers I auditioned : Ihave listened to Andrew Jones FS-52 and when played at louad volume, the speaker housing vibrates and the resonates, like playing in a box. I listened to Yamaha speakers F150 and it has the same issue. However i listened to a pair of Magnat speakers and they are fantastic, have a wide soundstage, but they are 4 times the price or the d330.

IMHO, for price/quality, the d300 series are wonderful, unbeatable for such warm and solid speakers. The design is also to the point with the rounded edges *,*. P.s the speakers are made with Kevlar !!

Daskipedia

Pictures of Wharfedale d300 series

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1664301477312.jpg
    FB_IMG_1664301477312.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 97
  • FB_IMG_1664301472184.jpg
    FB_IMG_1664301472184.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 91
  • FB_IMG_1664301467928.jpg
    FB_IMG_1664301467928.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 90