• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any Volumio users out there?

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a couple of questions. 1) How do you like it? 2) Does Volumio work with Idagio or Primephonic?

jacobacci

I like it a lot. Your mileage may vary, depending on your needs and expectations
No integration with Idagio or Primephonic

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I like it a lot. Your mileage may vary, depending on your needs and expectations
No integration with Idagio or Primephonic

Glad to hear you like it! Thank you Jacobacci.
I did some more digging around. It seems Primephonic said they'd get back to Volumio in 2021 (late 2021?). I don't know about Idagio's response to inquiries from Volumio.

jacobacci

I use Volumio with Qobuz. I looked at Idagio briefly, but ended preferring Qobuz, as it offers lossless high definition files and Idagio has only CD quality.
The best place to find out more is probably the Volumio Forum, where Mr Volumio, Michelangelo Guarise, hangs out.
Their favorite and best supported hardware seems to be RP4 and Khadas VIM3L

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I use Volumio with Qobuz. I looked at Idagio briefly, but ended preferring Qobuz, as it offers lossless high definition files and Idagio has only CD quality.
The best place to find out more is probably the Volumio Forum, where Mr Volumio, Michelangelo Guarise, hangs out.
Their favorite and best supported hardware seems to be RP4 and Khadas VIM3L

Well Qobuz is supposedly here in the USA. And as far as hardware goes, I was looking at the Volumio Touch Player,
VSTLP-1.jpg

which is RP3 B+ based. I won't be making a move before the end of summer. So, we'll see how things develop on this front.

jacobacci

If I didn't already have a lot of hardware lying around, I would probably go for the Khadas VIM3 / Tone Board combo and control it from a tablet.
Well regarded in this forum and seems well supported by Volumio.

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I'll look into that.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The advantage of the Pi over the VIM is that there are more available alternatives if you find you don't like Volumio. Most of them will work with either the touchscreen or phone/tablet (or both!) and many will work with Qobuz. If you have any plans to use BruteFIR with a Pi then get a Pi 4.

Tone Board still seems a good choice if you're assembling yourself

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I run Volumio on a 2GB Raspberry Pi 4 and use the iOS app on my phone to control it. I used to control it on an official Raspberry Pi touchscreen but it was unusably slow and jerky. The iOS app is great.

Martin

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Volumio on my shd studio. Flawed software. Slow. But getting better with each update. I can live with it and bubble upnp.

Xombul

Forum Donor
I prefer Moode which is more stable. I also don't like that much Volumio commercial policy with its "premium" offers.

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I run Volumio on a 2GB Raspberry Pi 4 and use the iOS app on my phone to control it. I used to control it on an official Raspberry Pi touchscreen but it was unusably slow and jerky. The iOS app is great.

Martin
Thanks for the heads up on the touchscreen!

D

Deleted member 2944

Does Moode support Tunein and/or other radio streaming schemes as Volumio does?

Dave.

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Does Moode support Tunein and/or other radio streaming schemes as Volumio does?

Dave.

Did you follow the link in post 11? It looks like about 100 internet radio stations are supported.

D

Deleted member 2944

Did you follow the link in post 11? It looks like about 100 internet radio stations are supported.
Oh yeah, I'm well aware of those built-in 100 stations, but they're not the ones I want (for the most part.) Volumio has a much more extended streaming radio station scheme already integrated with the primary software.
You can (of course) add stations manually into the moode database, but it's tedious.

Dave.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I have a couple of questions. 1) How do you like it? 2) Does Volumio work with Idagio or Primephonic?

I assume you want a streaming service that is classical music friendly. Qobuz has a broad and deep classical catalog. If you use the latest Qobuz plugin for Logitech Media Server (LMS), you can browse an album by classical work, if Qobuz provides that metadata and the metadata is correct. This is usually the case, but I imagine any service with the deep catalog like Qobuz has will have metadata errors and missing metadata.

Shown here in the Material Skin web interface, the choice for "Browse by Work" at the top of the album listing

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 6.30.23 PM.jpg

And the "Browse by Work" page:

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 6.31.56 PM.jpg

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
Very happy with my Volumio on Raspberry Pi3. Straight USB into my SMSL SU-8 DAC, set with Volumio upsampling to 24/96 Highest Quality setting, thus avoiding any sample rate changes and pops or clicks. I use Airplay from my iPhone or MacBook, Spotify Premium at 320kbps, and streaming radio. I now need to share my iTunes library across my LAN so Volumio can access it too.
So far It has worked flawlessly.

McFly

Volumio on my shd studio. Flawed software. Slow. But getting better with each update. I can live with it and bubble upnp.
Unfortunately, me too. This is the first day in 3 months of owning it that the Spotify connect plugin hasn’t dropped the stream halfway through the first song. I can’t believe I’ve listened to 3 hours of music back to back now, finally. I have been able to disconnect the rpi4 with ropieeeXL and use Spotify successfully. It seems it’s getting better. Touch wood, but I’m not packing the rpi4 away just yet...

Top Bottom