• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any utility in manually adjusting Audyssey MultEQ? Do you think my frequency response improved?

johnp98

I have an older Marantz SR7002 which has Audyssey Multi EQ built in.

1619452333199.png

Using the generic mic and auto calculated filters and then comparing it with REW and my UMIK-1 it gives me horrendous corrections in areas that certainly do not need correction.
It looks like this is quite an old version of Audyssey and so I guess Ill cut it some slack.
Because of this I gave up on any auto EQ and just EQed the subs with my Behringer with a good effect on the <100Hz range.

Playing around with AVR EQ settings a bit more, I found that you can manually change the 9 preset filters of 63hz, 125hz, 250hz, 500hz, 1k hz, 2k hz, 4k hz, 8k hz, 16k hz
I am not sure what the Q value on these filters are, but it does seem quite wide.

Anyways, my questions are:
1) Does manually changing these filters and then confirming the results with REW seem reasonable? (realizing that I will be very limited by where the 9 filters occur)
2) I played around and having a +6db boost in the 250hz range does fill in a midbass deficiency, yet is boosting in Audyssey of concern (as in general with EQing my understanding is you don't want any overall boost).
3) By merely activating the EQ will it audibly change the sound quality of the sound (lets say for argument sake I just activate one filter at -1db, does this add extra processing that would result in audible differences?)
4) By applying the following filters (125: -3, 250: +6, 500: +1, 8k: -3, 16k: -1) this is what I get (pre = red, post = blue). Do you think that is worth keeping? I know EQing above the schroeder frequency is controversial, but it seems to have a rather large Q and thus is more a tone control in this case is it not?

1619453677642.png

Any other suggestions / thoughts?

beaRA

1) Yes.

2) You reduce your overall headroom with boost EQ. This may not be a problem if you don't tend to crank the volume all the way up. You could run a sweep at your typical max volume and check if the EQ is adding significant distortion.

3) I can't imagine it would any more than just using Audyssey like normal. Have someone turn it on and off for you and see if you can tell the difference (I doubt you could).

4) Those look like positive changes to me. I agree, these are more or less just tone control.

Top Bottom