• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any upcoming AV processors?

hwest

The Lyngdorf and Trinnov are in a different class from the Emotiva, I would have thought....

Trinnov seems to be the market leader in the high quality RoomEQ field.... - if my budget were in that range, I think Trinnov would be top of my list.
I hear Emotiva has some clunky menu's but a low noise floor and great sound plus they will offer an 8K HDMI 2.1 board for sure in the future. of course Trinnov will also offer this but I'm just not sure about a PC based architecture on Linux. It could be fine, I generally like my settings over any room EQ settings but I know that's a selling point for Trinnov but it's 17K so I just don't know.

hwest

The MiniDSP SHD has Dirac 3.0 support and runs at 96kHz.

- Rich
Where did you find the 9028 DAC information for the Integra 1.4? I haven't been able to find any technical information for this processor.

I owned two Integra flagship AVR's in the past. I swore to never buy anything again from them after the big HDMI board fiasco about 10 years ago. Funny the one I have from 1998 still works flawlessly. I can't find any specs for the 1.4, just the 1.0. DIRAC live is a MUST for me, so is a balanced stereo analog input. And I need DIRAC live to run at 24/96, and that's hard to find unless you spend over 10K and why I have not ordered a HTP-1. Looks like they are using the Sabre 9028 DAC chip, and my DAC uses a 9038 per channel ( Gustard X26 Pro ) so that would be a step backwards. It seems as they only accept digital i/p to a max 24/192. I also liked the NAD M17V2i but bad reviews and again Dirac downsamples your hires audio to 24/48 for processing. So I will join the club and wait until some more new stuff comes out.
I'm a huge Onkyo fan and Integra is slightly better from what I have heard. I suffered through some of the HDMI stuff but Onkyo replaced the boards when you asked for it even out of warranty they did mine. In my opinion Onkyo/Integra competes with much more expensive units in terms of how they handle sound in general. I was hoping to discover another brand like that to compete with the higher end systems like Emotiva. I'm impressed with Emotiva AMP's for sure, they are extremely low noise and provide the level of punch I'm looking for. HDMI 2.1 seems to be lagging behind so 8K support needs to make it's way into these systems somehow someway but as crazy as it sounds cable attenuation is causing havoc with different lengths causing various problems for various types of cabling passing the right signals. The standard needs some work which is why it's taking time to support all formats, Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision on HDMI 2.1.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am considering the following processors if anyone would like to comment on which one they would prefer for a combination of home theater and music listening, both equally important, good 4K video also plays into the equation. Here are my choices that I have narrowed it down to.
1. Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1
2. Emotiva RMC - 1
3. Trinnov Altitude 16

Which one would you choose?
4. StormAudio- But it was a toss up for me between it and the Trinnov. DLBC is included and I am guessing Unison is on the horizon ( or Spatial Room Correction technology link). DLBC is point/click for something very complicated to do correctly... manage multiple subs and subs/mains integration. I chose StormAudio because of DLBC and the familiarity of working with Dirac, it does unlimited zones (stereo/mono) and a few other features.
But Trinnov has a lot going for it as well for sure, including the fact that the Altitude 16 can do 20 channels with external dacs for 4 channels. This was really clever and in my opinion, a 20 channel unit is really great. This means you can do 15 channels (6 height/tops), FW, and 4 independent subs. But it is more complicated to configure but certainly quite possible and their support is excellent (as is StormAudio's).
I would skip Emotiva. They do not have DLBC working nor DTS:X (like StormAudio/Trinnov have working).
I don't know enough about the MP-60 2.1 but have used RoomPerfect briefly and it works well. If setup is like their TDAI products it is very straight forward if that is appealing.

hwest

4. StormAudio- But it was a toss up for me between it and the Trinnov. DLBC is included and I am guessing Unison is on the horizon ( or Spatial Room Correction technology link). DLBC is point/click for something very complicated to do correctly... manage multiple subs and subs/mains integration. I chose StormAudio because of DLBC and the familiarity of working with Dirac, it does unlimited zones (stereo/mono) and a few other features.
But Trinnov has a lot going for it as well for sure, including the fact that the Altitude 16 can do 20 channels with external dacs for 4 channels. This was really clever and in my opinion, a 20 channel unit is really great. This means you can do 15 channels (6 height/tops), FW, and 4 independent subs. But it is more complicated to configure but certainly quite possible and their support is excellent (as is StormAudio's).
I would skip Emotiva. They do not have DLBC working nor DTS:X (like StormAudio/Trinnov have working).
I don't know enough about the MP-60 2.1 but have used RoomPerfect briefly and it works well. If setup is like their TDAI products it is very straight forward if that is appealing.
I think I found a winner after looking at the pricing and specs the happy medium for me will likely be the JBL Synthesis SDP58. Although not the highest end preprocessor it has what I need without breaking the bank at $6,900 it's still expensive but not 17K. Trinnov actually makes their SDP75 which they mark up in price slightly but that's just way too expensive and quite frankly so is the Trinnov 16. What does it have that allows me to check the boxes for my needs? See below:

Any feedback or opinions are welcomed.

1. Support for 4 subwoofers with independent adjustments
2. A decent room correction system that will get me close then I'll tweak it from there.
3. ESS Pro 9028 Pro DAC
4. HDMI 2.1 support 8K, 8HDMI inputs and 3 outputs
5. THD+N (20Hz - 20,000KHz) -100dB
6. Dobly Atmos, DTSX, IMax enhanced

Hal

hmt

You could also go with the Arcam AV41, same platform. However the big question of that platform are bugs and general stability. They started out with lots of bugs. Many were fixed but according to AVSForums there are still issues.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I found a winner after looking at the pricing and specs the happy medium for me will likely be the JBL Synthesis SDP58. Although not the highest end preprocessor it has what I need without breaking the bank at $6,900 it's still expensive but not 17K. Trinnov actually makes their SDP75 which they mark up in price slightly but that's just way too expensive and quite frankly so is the Trinnov 16. What does it have that allows me to check the boxes for my needs? See below:

2. A decent room correction system that will get me close then I'll tweak it from there.
3. ESS Pro 9028 Pro DAC

Hal
I haven't kept up on any issues on the SDP-55 but it checks a lot of boxes for sure...
Amir measured the SDP-55 here in case you haven't seen it. And do I recall correctly that it comes with DLBC multiple sub included? If the initial bugs have been worked out, it certainly looks like a lot to like.

hwest

3. ESS Pro 9028 Pro DAC

Hal
I can't find anything that says they addressed the jitter problem that carries over from the Arcam's. That sucks because now it's back to the drawing board in my decision making process once again. The only acceptable pre-processor seems to be the Trinnov at this point. The Dennon's don't have the features I'm looking for, Balanced connections, 8K, 4 subwoofer support for independent adjustment and anything other than that AK 768DAC which I haven't heard a good sounding system with one yet. I know DAC's are not measurable in terms of sound quality but something about the way they are implemented doesn't sit well with me.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't find anything that says they addressed the jitter problem that carries over from the Arcam's. That sucks because now it's back to the drawing board in my decision making process once again. The only acceptable pre-processor seems to be the Trinnov at this point. The Dennon's don't have the features I'm looking for, Balanced connections, 8K, 4 subwoofer support for independent adjustment and anything other than that AK 768DAC which I haven't heard a good sounding system with one yet. I know DAC's are not measurable in terms of sound quality but something about the way they are implemented doesn't sit well with me.
I went through this as well...
-Had the Denon X8500 which I really liked. No issues but wanted to do 4 subs, more channels etc.
-Ended up researching Arcam/JBL, Anthem, Yamaha, Emotiva, and Monoprice none of them met my "requirements" (which include support, reliability, etc). It seemed that they either didn't have the feature set I wanted, were too buggy, or not good enough support.
-Only two met my requeirements... Stormaudio or Trinnov. Both are expensive. Went with StormAudio for DLBC (didn't want to get too deep in the weeds EQing 4 subs). Stormaudio also had a few other features I wanted but either one would have been good for me....
I would add the the Monoprice HTP1 as a possibility... but their support/fix of their boot issue was something that I just didn't want to ever deal with. Good luck with your search... lots of tradeoffs... features, price, support, reliability etc... Not easy.

hwest

I went through this as well...
-Had the Denon X8500 which I really liked. No issues but wanted to do 4 subs, more channels etc.
-Ended up researching Arcam/JBL, Anthem, Yamaha, Emotiva, and Monoprice none of them met my "requirements" (which include support, reliability, etc). It seemed that they either didn't have the feature set I wanted, were too buggy, or not good enough support.
-Only two met my requeirements... Stormaudio or Trinnov. Both are expensive. Went with StormAudio for DLBC (didn't want to get too deep in the weeds EQing 4 subs). Stormaudio also had a few other features I wanted but either one would have been good for me....
I would add the the Monoprice HTP1 as a possibility... but their support/fix of their boot issue was something that I just didn't want to ever deal with. Good luck with your search... lots of tradeoffs... features, price, support, reliability etc... Not easy.
I think if I'm going to take a chance it would be on the Emotiva because although bugy I keep hearing from many it sounds great. However, I'm not much for compromise so I just don't know. If Integra or Onkyo came out with a new Pre-Processor I would jump on it. I just trust they will do a good job with the end result 'Sound coming out of the thing'.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think if I'm going to take a chance it would be on the Emotiva because although bugy I keep hearing from many it sounds great. However, I'm not much for compromise so I just don't know. If Integra or Onkyo came out with a new Pre-Processor I would jump on it. I just trust they will do a good job with the end result 'Sound coming out of the thing'.
No DLBC or DTSX Pro on Emotiva. But it does have manual PEQ.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

3. ESS Pro 9028 Pro DAC

Hal
Check out the newly released Anthem AVM90.

Descartes

Major Contributor

3. ESS Pro 9028 Pro DAC

Hal
It seems in the same category as the Anthem AVM90

dlaloum

Major Contributor

3. ESS Pro 9028 Pro DAC

Hal
It would have been on my Shortlist (I have kept my eye on the SDP35/55 too) if it wasn't for the fact that they cost twice as much down here!

And I am a long term fan of Logic7/Logic16 .... but not at that price.

JRiggs

I would not let the “jitter problem” discourage you from considering the JBL. As an owner of the SDP-55, it’s a non issue. My unit has been trouble free.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would not let the “jitter problem” discourage you from considering the JBL. As an owner of the SDP-55, it’s a non issue. My unit has been trouble free.
I think the only missing thing for me is still no DTS:X Pro… Head scratcher for sure. Wonder if it is a hardware issue or a licensing thing… they aren’t alone in lack of support, but when you get to more than 11 channels of use, it really is important IMO.

Mkaram

The SDP-55 got a slightly better review on here vs the HTP-1. Now that the bugs seemed to be worked out with both, which is the better processor?
Frankly I think the HTP-1 review on ASR has some problems. It seems to me that Amir penalized its rating based on it's undesired behavior during his specific test setup, but which would not be encountered in nearly any non-benchmarking use case. Then, later, when some of those issues were pointed out to be config-driven or addressed in future patches Amir (appropriately) pointed out that he can't be asked to know every non-default setting or perform full evaluations on borrowed equipment whenever it's patched.

It's true that we expect Amir to objectively measure the devices in front of him, using comparable test methods. He does this very well. I think it creates hiccups when examining AVR/processors which rely on settings and software.

Nonetheless, if you read the review content beyond its panther I think you will see it is absolutely the top capable unit in its price range and that it has very good measurements

DrStranger

It really bugs me that vendors rarely type the bandwidth of their HDMI 2.1 ports, what’s even more annoying is that they go for (if one is lucky) 40Gbps but not 48Gbps, something I am aiming for in my next AV/AVR.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
It really bugs me that vendors rarely type the bandwidth of their HDMI 2.1 ports, what’s even more annoying is that they go for (if one is lucky) 40Gbps but not 48Gbps, something I am aiming for in my next AV/AVR.
It may be a simple chip availability issue.... they may not have a real option.

JRiggs

You should choose based on features and software, neither has audible basic electronics issues in any meaningful fashion. The SDP-55 has digital outputs(Dante) and some other distinct things, like an actual OSD which the HTP-1 lacks. I believe this bug list for the SDP-55 is still current.

Generally, I've seen fewer bugs reported with the HTP-1 and they seem to be handling the software better... but I don't think anyone is maintaining a distinct list for them so it's hard to tell which one is worse. All you can do is make sure there's no bugs that would interfere with your particular setup.
here is the latest update to the list: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/jb...ound-processor.3090298/page-371#post-61785212

Top Bottom