• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any upcoming AV processors?

Blackdevil77

You should choose based on features and software, neither has audible basic electronics issues in any meaningful fashion. The SDP-55 has digital outputs(Dante) and some other distinct things, like an actual OSD which the HTP-1 lacks. I believe this bug list for the SDP-55 is still current.

Generally, I've seen fewer bugs reported with the HTP-1 and they seem to be handling the software better... but I don't think anyone is maintaining a distinct list for them so it's hard to tell which one is worse. All you can do is make sure there's no bugs that would interfere with your particular setup.

I'm assuming audibly, they would be identical.

Are they ironed out? I am reading a lot. Some say all is perfect with Arcam/JBL, some stoll post lists of bugs. There is also still some uncertainty to the non booting bug of the htp-1. Seems still to happen randomly.

Seem to be. A few people on the Home Theater Enthusiast Facebook group recently bought one and they have no issues/bugs to report.

Sprint

Forum Donor
My recommendation is wait it out till next year when the chip shortage is hopefully over and there will be more and better options.

Another option is get something older, maybe from ebay, to get you by until the new processors are out.

That is what I did, was using my Denon 3700 as a pre-pro, happened to come across a Yamaha 5100 for $500 on ebay, bought it and now using, it sounds so much better then the Denon (using with a 7 channel Outlaw amp).

I do not use it for video switching, everything we watch is via apps like Vudu, YTTV, Netflix, etc, so hooked up via ARC and it does DD+ and Atmos incredibly well.
@theBruce when you compared 3700 and 5100, did you switch off the room correction and EQ?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"I'll settle for a good AVR with XLR outputs. "
I can't think of any receivers with balanced preoutputs?
Yamaha has them for the front L/R channels. They didn't measure better so there's not much point unless someone is using long interconnects or need the higher voltage.

Frontwave

Looks like there's a new Integra processor in the works. I'm assuming it'll be using Dirac like the new Onkyos. The model number is DRC-R1.4. On paper, it has everything I'm looking for.

https://m.marketscreener.com/quote/...Momentum-with-New-Partners-Products-37520731/
I owned two Integra flagship AVR's in the past. I swore to never buy anything again from them after the big HDMI board fiasco about 10 years ago. Funny the one I have from 1998 still works flawlessly. I can't find any specs for the 1.4, just the 1.0. DIRAC live is a MUST for me, so is a balanced stereo analog input. And I need DIRAC live to run at 24/96, and that's hard to find unless you spend over 10K and why I have not ordered a HTP-1. Looks like they are using the Sabre 9028 DAC chip, and my DAC uses a 9038 per channel ( Gustard X26 Pro ) so that would be a step backwards. It seems as they only accept digital i/p to a max 24/192. I also liked the NAD M17V2i but bad reviews and again Dirac downsamples your hires audio to 24/48 for processing. So I will join the club and wait until some more new stuff comes out.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned two Integra flagship AVR's in the past. I swore to never buy anything again from them after the big HDMI board fiasco about 10 years ago. Funny the one I have from 1998 still works flawlessly. I can't find any specs for the 1.4, just the 1.0. DIRAC live is a MUST for me, so is a balanced stereo analog input. And I need DIRAC live to run at 24/96, and that's hard to find unless you spend over 10K and why I have not ordered a HTP-1. Looks like they are using the Sabre 9028 DAC chip, and my DAC uses a 9038 per channel ( Gustard X26 Pro ) so that would be a step backwards. It seems as they only accept digital i/p to a max 24/192. I also liked the NAD M17V2i but bad reviews and again Dirac downsamples your hires audio to 24/48 for processing. So I will join the club and wait until some more new stuff comes out.

The MiniDSP SHD has Dirac 3.0 support and runs at 96kHz.

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
C

Call me Ali

Forum Donor
Where did you find the 9028 DAC information for the Integra 1.4? I haven't been able to find any technical information for this processor.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought this thread was about AV Processors.
My response was to this post by Frontwave.

Not many know that there are two channel options that support Dirac and some may want to components like the MiniDSP SHD in their systems.
Other MiniDSP products are used to optimize multiple subwoofers.

I'd love to see a MiniDSP AVP with 7 + multiple subwoofer channels. I suspect that this market is larger than the height channel crowd but is largely unaddressed in the channel count wars.

- Rich

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

Are there any AV processors that are slated to come out? The only two recommended units are $15000 and $17000? I was hoping one of the big boys like Anthem, NAD, or Arcam would have something good.

Anthem processors used to be very good. I listened to one a few years ago when I was speaker shopping and it sounded great. This is back when they were making them in Canada. When they released their MRX line, I was very excited and eventually bought the MRX720. What a turd. I could not get it to connect to WiFi. I'm the unofficial IT guy among family and friend so I'm very familiar with the process. Neither Crutchfield nor Anthem tech support was able to help. I ended up using a long Ethernet cable to do the ARC. Even after ARC, it didn't sound good to me. The unit also kept freezing. I thought these were still being made in Canada, but I found out that was not the case. The AVRs were built overseas, but the processors were still made in Canada. It looks like the processors have also been outsourced and the review reflects that.

I returned it and bought an entry level NAD. After Dirac, it sounded much better than the Anthem and it cost half as much. Based on the reviews, even higher end NADs are also off the table.

I've never had an Arcam, but they have a good reputation. Even they don't measure well.

I wish there were more AVP reviews on this site. There are many good DACs reviewed here. I hope Amir reviews more AVPs. At this point, I'll settle for a good AVR with XLR outputs.

Thanks,
Ali
AVM90 available tomorrow, according to Anthem website :)

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yamaha has them for the front L/R channels. They didn't measure better so there's not much point unless someone is using long interconnects or need the higher voltage.
In my case the amps I'm using only accept balanced (AHB2 and Alan's P701s)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
"I'll settle for a good AVR with XLR outputs. "
I can't think of any receivers with balanced preoutputs?
Typically the AVP's are an AVR, with the power amps removed and replaced with the XLR circuitry - so the AVR version doesn't have the XLR's (take a lot of back panel real estate!)

The core performance of the DAC's DSP's etc... are identical - but the AVR's cost a bit more (price of the power amps)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Yes - so did I - The Onkyo 876 fried its HDMI, I replaced it with an Integra 70.4, which in due course fried its DSP.... I am still hoping to get the 70.4 repaired.... If I can get the part/board.

After investigating reliability on the Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer family, I came to the conclusion that they have resolved their reliability issues, and recently purchased an Integra DRX 3.4 - which is sounding truly superb, much better than the 876 or 70.4 did, primarily due to Dirac!

Based on my current experience, and including the fact that the new model is running very cool (unlike its predecessors) - which bodes well for longevity - I would suggest reconsidering the brand... also consider the fact that although the brands are the same, the owner has changed as of June/July 2021 - they are now owned and operated by a Voxx/Sharp partnership - Onkyo Japan is only involved in collecting licence fees.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Looks like there's a new Integra processor in the works. I'm assuming it'll be using Dirac like the new Onkyos. The model number is DRC-R1.4. On paper, it has everything I'm looking for.

https://m.marketscreener.com/quote/...Momentum-with-New-Partners-Products-37520731/

Onkyo PR-RZ90 and Integra DRC-R1.4

I expect they will be internally identical to their equivalent AVR's RZ90 & DRX-R1.4 (with the exception of having XLR outs)

If they keep the chassis from the previous generation, as they did with the new models released the last year, then they will be based on AKM DAC's... trouble is, AKM won't be mass producing chips until 3rd Qtr 2022... which means stock won't be available until 2023.

In terms of feature - we know they will have Dirac Live.

Dirac representatives have dropped hints pointing at Dirac Unison

And if they don't have Unison, then they will at least have to have Dirac DLBC to remain competitive at the level these units play at.

I think Unison will be the next big thing - and look forward to the new models.

OP
C

Call me Ali

Forum Donor
Onkyo PR-RZ90 and Integra DRC-R1.4

I expect they will be internally identical to their equivalent AVR's RZ90 & DRX-R1.4 (with the exception of having XLR outs)

If they keep the chassis from the previous generation, as they did with the new models released the last year, then they will be based on AKM DAC's... trouble is, AKM won't be mass producing chips until 3rd Qtr 2022... which means stock won't be available until 2023.

In terms of feature - we know they will have Dirac Live.

Dirac representatives have dropped hints pointing at Dirac Unison

And if they don't have Unison, then they will at least have to have Dirac DLBC to remain competitive at the level these units play at.

I think Unison will be the next big thing - and look forward to the new models.
If the preamp and DAC sections are identical, I hope the processor price will be lower since there won't be a power amp section.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
If the preamp and DAC sections are identical, I hope the processor price will be lower since there won't be a power amp section.
That was one of the reasons I purchased AVR's in the previous generations.... but the market has changed - JBL now has the AVR as the more expensive option, so does Arcam...

Given the current market, Onkyo may well follow suite, and price them accordingly... - Which would suit me well, as I have power amps well suited to my speakers!

On the other hand, if you like to wait for the runout sales, when demo models of previous generations get discounted - then the more expensive AVR might end up cheaper than the prepro... (I paid about half price on a flagship Onkyo AVR in 2009.... - no such discount was available on the much rarer prepro) - but that assumes waiting till 2024/25

hwest

Hello everyone,

Are there any AV processors that are slated to come out? The only two recommended units are $15000 and $17000? I was hoping one of the big boys like Anthem, NAD, or Arcam would have something good.

Anthem processors used to be very good. I listened to one a few years ago when I was speaker shopping and it sounded great. This is back when they were making them in Canada. When they released their MRX line, I was very excited and eventually bought the MRX720. What a turd. I could not get it to connect to WiFi. I'm the unofficial IT guy among family and friend so I'm very familiar with the process. Neither Crutchfield nor Anthem tech support was able to help. I ended up using a long Ethernet cable to do the ARC. Even after ARC, it didn't sound good to me. The unit also kept freezing. I thought these were still being made in Canada, but I found out that was not the case. The AVRs were built overseas, but the processors were still made in Canada. It looks like the processors have also been outsourced and the review reflects that.

I returned it and bought an entry level NAD. After Dirac, it sounded much better than the Anthem and it cost half as much. Based on the reviews, even higher end NADs are also off the table.

I've never had an Arcam, but they have a good reputation. Even they don't measure well.

I wish there were more AVP reviews on this site. There are many good DACs reviewed here. I hope Amir reviews more AVPs. At this point, I'll settle for a good AVR with XLR outputs.

Thanks,
Ali
I am considering the following processors if anyone would like to comment on which one they would prefer for a combination of home theater and music listening, both equally important, good 4K video also plays into the equation. Here are my choices that I have narrowed it down to.
1. Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1
2. Emotiva RMC - 1
3. Trinnov Altitude 16

Which one would you choose?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I am considering the following processors if anyone would like to comment on which one they would prefer for a combination of home theater and music listening, both equally important, good 4K video also plays into the equation. Here are my choices that I have narrowed it down to.
1. Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1
2. Emotiva RMC - 1
3. Trinnov Altitude 16

Which one would you choose?
The Lyngdorf and Trinnov are in a different class from the Emotiva, I would have thought....

Trinnov seems to be the market leader in the high quality RoomEQ field.... - if my budget were in that range, I think Trinnov would be top of my list.

Top Bottom