• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any thoughts re: Micromega MyAmp?

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
In looking for options for putting together a desktop system, ran across this:

https://micromega.com/en/products/my-range/myamp/

I see that there has been some discussion of Micromega's stuff in various threads on the site, but wonder if anyone has personal experience with this amp? Reviews online appear to be from the regular subjective-opinion suspects, but class A/B, 60w into 4 ohms and a wide array of connections-- looks like it could be a good choice for folks with limited space?

BillG

Major Contributor
And for ~$200 currently, there this which has been tested here also. It doesn't measure as well as the Yamaha above, although in terms of power they're comparable. However, the difference between this and the Yamaha may not actually be audible to most people:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-klipsch-powergate-dac-amp.7376/

By the way, I purchased the Klipsch at $150 and am satisfied with it for the price. At $200 currently, I still believe it's worth it... :cool:

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems to offer good capabilities for an affordable price. Regardless of how it might measure I am guessing its audible performance will be fine. My advice is to look around at what is on offer, this is quite a competitive price band and this is probably also competing against things like those Denon and Yamaha micro systems as well as other digital amplifiers. There seems to be some good deals on the Yamaha WXA50 nowadays. Audible performance tends to be pretty much the same so look at the power, functionality, whether you like the look and what offers are available.

BillG

Major Contributor
For ~$80 more, there's this which has been tested here. However, you'd lose the headphone jack, but gain more power and have a streamer built-in:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-yamaha-wxa-50-streaming-amp.7964/

I forgot to mention that one will also lose a USB input from a computer with the Yamaha. However, it does have optical and analog inputs, and there are iOS, Android, and Windows applications for streaming via WiFi or Ethernet from those platforms... :cool:

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
@Blake Klondike You might already be aware but the MyAmp's case is made from ABS ... not audio-grade ABS though as some special items from esoteric manufacturers ... :cool:
Current sales price in France: 235 EUR, available @ around 100 EUR 2nd hand ...

Last edited:

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In my opinion the best amp for a desktop system is the one built in to your powered desktop monitors. That and a DAC or pro usb interface with a volume control and you are all set. Most of them also have a headphone output. A pair of JBL 305's and a DAC cost the same or less than that amp alone and the built in amps have more power. Less if you buy a factory reconditioned pair for $99 each here :PSSL JBL 305

KEW

Forum Donor

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The specs say it is a 2 x30w amp at 8 ohms. They also spec the distortion at 10w which makes me wonder how much worse it is at the rated 30.

Reactions: KEW
Top Bottom