• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any thoughts on well recorded exceptional performances of Beethoven's Piano Concerti?

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
About a year and a half ago hvbias started this thread on Beethoven's Piano Sonatas. Anyone wish to give advice on Beethoven's Piano Concertos?

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
I would recommend Arrau and Kempff from the sonatas’ list. I like Arrau for pretty much everything.

I recently listened to Stewart Goodyear’s set and very much enjoyed it.

ripvw

Forum Donor
When I was in my teens playing the piano, I remember being blown away by a recording of No. 5 by Arthur Rubinstein on RCA - just amazing.

For years, the go-to guy for Beethoven was Alfred Brendel recording for Philips

One of my favorite Mozart interpreters is Mitsuko Uchida and more recently she did a wonderful cycle of the Beethoven concertos with Simon Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic

I love Martha Argerich and Sviatoslav Richter but could not find a complete cycle from either of them on Tidal. In both cases they also made wonderful live recordings of concertos no. 1 - 3

Vladimir Ashkenazy did 3 cycles including one with Solti and the Chicago Symphony, Mehta and the Vienna Philharmonic and finally conducting from the keyboard with the Cleveland Symphony and the added bonus of the Choral Fantasy.

guildenstern

If you're OK with performances that offer more poise and grace than fire and fury, then I'd suggest Murray Perahia, with Haitink conducting the Concertgebouw, on Sony Classical. Lovely performances, and good-sounding, though not demonstration-quality.

Picking up on the title of your thread, if you're especially interested in "well recorded" performances--and indeed, exceptional performances as well--then I'd point to Yevgeny Sudbin, with Osmo Vanska conducting different orchestras, on BIS.

Also deserving of recognition as "well-recorded and-exceptional" are Concertos 4 and 5 performed by Till Fellner, with Kent Nagano conducting, on ECM.

And in characteristic plush velvety Philips sound (though I guess Philips is now part of the Decca Music Group--hard to keep up), there's the acclaimed Emperor Concerto by Claudio Arrau, with Sir Colin Davis conducting the Staatskapelle Dresden.

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you're OK with performances that offer more poise and grace than fire and fury, then I'd suggest Murray Perahia, with Haitink conducting the Concertgebouw, on Sony Classical. Lovely performances, and good-sounding, though not demonstration-quality.

Picking up on the title of your thread, if you're especially interested in "well recorded" performances--and indeed, exceptional performances as well--then I'd point to Yevgeny Sudbin, with Osmo Vanska conducting different orchestras, on BIS.

Also deserving of recognition as "well-recorded and-exceptional" are Concertos 4 and 5 performed by Till Fellner, with Kent Nagano conducting, on ECM.

And in characteristic plush velvety Philips sound (though I guess Philips is now part of the Decca Music Group--hard to keep up), there's the acclaimed Emperor Concerto by Claudio Arrau, with Sir Colin Davis conducting the Staatskapelle Dresden.

Thank You, guildenstern

Daverz

Major Contributor
For me the classic set is Fleisher/Szell. There is some tape hiss, but this should not bother music lovers.

Of more recent recordings, I've really enjoyed Sudbin and Vogt.

JG2020

This recent release (Hyperion) - "This is a deeply rewarding and distinguished set of the Beethoven piano concertos. Stephen Hough, Hannu Lintu and the excellent FRSO are perceptive and stylish interpreters of the music." - MusicWeb International. I have several recordings of the PCs and this set goes to the top.

1589881048459.png

Attachments

• 1589880724822.png
    1589880724822.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 76
Top Bottom