• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ANY thoughts on the AUNE S16 DAC/Headphone amp ?

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi guys,

A quick look at the reviews and measurements here tells me that Amirm has testes the AUNE X1S and that it got pretty good ratings.

So I was wondering if the AUNE S16 was alos tested (I don't think I've seen it) and if it has not, if anyone has some feedback to provide on this device ?
I am asking because I am offered one used for a decent 55% discount on new price and I may go for it...

I currently have the ASUS Xonar Essence STU DAC/headphone amp.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards.

FRED

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Oh... So there will be no improvement over the ASUS Xonar Essence STU ?
And maybe even compared to the Jack audio output of my Asus Z10PE-16 WS motherboard with ALC1150 chip ?
If that is so, it's cool. I can use the money in other ways...
Some money saved :)

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Probably not. Unless you have an audible problem like hiss or not enough power with your electronics, the distorsion from electro-mechnical devices is orders of magnitude higher.

Hum... I'd be glad to know what all this means :-(

I have no audible problems.

Listen to my music played on Linux using ALSA direct output and controlling volume with the Xonar to be played over the Philips X2HR to Sennheiser HD700 range headphones is more than satisfactory to my ears/brains.

So, changing won't make any real improvement and if that is so I'll save the money for other stuff :)

q3cpma

Major Contributor
"Electro-mechnical devices" means stuff that convert electric signal into sound waves: speakers or headphones. Their THD is in the 0.1% range at best, and very often around 0.5% for speakers. And it's generally not very relevant to the actual sound quality, unless it shots up with volume; i.e. the device can't go louder.

jacobacci

AFAIK the Aune S16 has not been measured by Amir, so I don't know whether it objectively measures well.
I have an S16 and I find it sounds very good as a DAC. I would describe its sound as soft and warmish as opposed to analytical.
I do not like the S16's headphone amp at all. To my ears it sounds dull and muddy. I use the S16 paired with a Violectric V200 amp and an AKG K812 headphone. I find the combination very enjoyable. In my experience the K812 can be too bright with a bright (or even neutral) source. In combination with the S16 it works like a charm.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would describe its sound as soft and warmish as opposed to analytical.
Or you're just be biased by the fact it's an AKM chip inside...
I do not like the S16's headphone amp at all. To my ears it sounds dull and muddy

In my experience the K812 can be too bright with a bright (or even neutral) source
Ok, what you described can most likely be related to the lack of power, bringing much more distortion earlier. There's probably no sound signature behind that.
So I was wondering if the AUNE S16 was alos tested (I don't think I've seen it) and if it has not, if anyone has some feedback to provide on this device ?
I am asking because I am offered one used for a decent 55% discount on new price and I may go for it...
I remember the S16 costing 600€/$ new back in the days. Even at $300, I'm pretty sure there is much more competitive products nowadays, not to mention in the used market. Then, we don't know how the product performs. I would look elsewhere.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi

Thanks to all for your answers.

Guess I'll stick to my Asus XONAR Essence STU.

I'd be looking for an Headphone amp more than a DAC. The JDS Atom seems to be the route to go for a budget like mine :)

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Hi

Thanks to all for your answers.

Guess I'll stick to my Asus XONAR Essence STU.

I'd be looking for an Headphone amp more than a DAC. The JDS Atom seems to be the route to go for a budget like mine :)

Or maybe get another headphone/ set of speakers. If you're using speakers, get room treatment.
I had a similar soundcard. I got a USB connected AMP/DAC for the ease of use and the functions, not the sound difference.
Unless you have problems with audible hum or hiss, then it's nothing wrong with what you have. What are trying to drive with the gear you have?

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,
Headphones, not speakers.
For the speakers I have my Oppo BDP-105 driving Linn AV5125 poweramps and feeding Linn Keltik speakers :)
No need for something else there...

The headphones are of various makes and models :
- Oppo PM-3
- Sennheiser HD700
- Audioquest Nighthawk
- Philips Fidelio X2HR
- B&O H9i
- B&W P5.

But as it seems to be common thought here, I will stick to the ASUS Xonar Essence DAC/Amp.
I don't think it has anything wrong :)

duyanh43

Anyone compare the DAC-part of the Aune S16 and the newer S6/S6 PRO please, these are fairly similarly priced in the market.

Top Bottom