• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any thoughts on Rotel RB-991 and RC-980BX?

3125b

Major Contributor
Hey,

a friend of mine is about to buy the aforementioned combo for 280€ used in very good condition, and I'm curious if thats a good decision.
Are they worth it? Are there any reliability problems or so?
Would it be possible to use the JDS Atom Amp as a preamp instead of the 980BX, since it's probably far superior?
He is currently using a Yamaha R-S700 (wich doesn't offer any noteworthy connectivity anyway) with a pair of Elac EL 140.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that is a very fair price. A good amp and preamp combo.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that is a very fair price. A good amp and preamp combo.
I second this. Rotel amps have decent performance and good build quaility and last long. IMV if you want something better you need to look for a Bryston.

We bought a small integrated amp (RA935BX MK2 ?) some 25+ years ago and then sold it to a friend 10 years later where it still works like new. I added a DIY phono stage (friend still plays vinyl) and the internals looked seriously good.

OP
3125b

3125b

Major Contributor
Alright, thanks.

naviivan

the 980bx from the early 90’s has blackgate capacitors and very high dampening factor.
i had one years ago and it was good for the price. the preamp section died and i used it as a power amp. which was better but still a bit soft at the frequency ends. if you can get it cheap then buy.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
If they are in very good conditions I think it's very good.
Too bad he doesn't live on the US West coast...Amir could have measured them.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Would it be possible to use the JDS Atom Amp as a preamp instead of the 980BX, since it's probably far superior?

Put it this way, when the JDS Atom has long been thrown out, the RC-980 will still be going.

It's an excellent buy. He should be running as fast as he can to get it.

Mudjock

Audio Company
I have an RB-991. I find it to be very clean and neutral sounding with effortless power. The only real downside is that it is big, heavy, and thirsty relative to something like a Hypex NCore. As restorer-john indicates regarding the RC-980, the RB-991 is built to last. Definitely worth 280 Euros even without the RC-980. I acquired my RB-991 from an electronics recycling facility as a non working item. It turns out that it has 4 internal fuses. This one had 3 of them blown. I replaced the 3 fuses and it has been going strong for approaching 5 years. One of the fuses blew during a power surge caused by a nearby lightning strike, but I just replaced the fuse and it keeps on working. The fuse did it's job. I'm more used to the Murphy's law scenario where $500 worth of output devices will blow to protect a $1 fuse. :facepalm:

Stereophile did a full review including measurements for some objective evidence of its capabilities.

OP
3125b

3125b

Major Contributor
Thanks. We don‘t really have overland lines here, so lightning strikes are not a problem, surges in general are very uncommon. However working fuses are a nice commodity and not something very common anymore (looking at you, Apple) :)

It's an excellent buy. He should be running as fast as he can to get it.
He did and I‘m glad for him that it was a good choice. They usually go for quite a bit more money - but then again, that doesn‘t say much about quality, especially with audio equipment.
When you say the preamp would last longer than an Atom amp, I‘m not convinced - though it will probably be easier and more worth the effort to fix due to higher monetary value.

Amir could have measured them.
That would have been interesting to see how it stacks up. The 991 wasn‘t terribly expensive, but not cheap either (about 2000 Deutsche Mark I think). It was made in China, but that doesn‘t need to be a bad thing.

the preamp section died and i used it as a power amp
You must be talking about the RA-980BX then. The RC is just a preamp.

Last edited:

dejv

I can second that the Rotel RB-991 (which basically is identical to the newer RB-1080, except from trigger input) is a very good amplifier. Kind of the same deal as the bigger brother RB-1090 but with a bit less power, both are very transparent and true to the signal.

Alto Baja

I have a Rotel integrated amplifier RA-980.
On paper it looks OK, but is cheaply made.
Now, I have to wiggle the input selector and tone control to make both channels work.
I will never buy another Rotel.

raindance

Major Contributor
Rotel stuff is OK and fairly neutral for the money unless it's too old and the electrolytic caps need replacing. They get a bad rap because so many dealers match them with vile-sounding B&W speakers. Despite what some people say, Rotel gear is not rolled off in the high frequencies and typically has decent bass extension.

jarjarbnks

Hey
I'm a new owner of Rotel RB-980BX/RC-980BX combo trying to figure out the best DAC with Bluetooth and/or S/PDIF and/or USB connectivity for the Rotel combo.

Or in other words, how do you guys connect your 90s Rotels and the like with NAS and smartphones?

Top Bottom