• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Any recommendations on diy speaker build kits?

BWard

The new Philharmonic Audio model, Affordable Accuracy + , is a kit I bought and put together a couple of months ago. It's very easy to assemble. The cabinets and crossovers are assembled for you. It took me about 1/2 an hour to put these speakers together. $350 a pair plus shipping.
The law of diminishing returns hits real hard with these. I've had probably 50 pairs of speakers over the years, some costing several thousand dollars and these speakers give you the best VALUE for money I've ever experienced. In fact these are the best value for money of ANY audio product of any kind I've ever owned or heard.
The quality of sound from these is incredible. Honestly, when you fire these up,
you won't believe the quality of sound they produce.
So I would say these are the "perfect DIY speaker".
https://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

BWard

I wanted to add that the tweeters used in this kit retail on Madisound for $102 EACH! You don't usually get this quality of a driver in $2000 a pair speakers. It's a Morel tweeter and it's the best sounding tweeter I've heard in any speaker that doesn't cost crazy money.
When you fire these speakers up you'll laugh in disbelief that you got this quality of sound for $350.
With audio products I almost always have felt that I didn't really get my money's worth and that I over paid. With these speakers I felt like I ripped off the manufacturer; like I paid way too little. Trust me, I've NEVER felt that! Truly an incredible bargain.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wanted to add that the tweeters used in this kit retail on Madisound for $102 EACH! You don't usually get this quality of a driver in $2000 a pair speakers. It's a Morel tweeter and it's the best sounding tweeter I've heard in any speaker that doesn't cost crazy money.
When you fire these speakers up you'll laugh in disbelief that you got this quality of sound for $350.
With audio products I almost always have felt that I didn't really get my money's worth and that I over paid. With these speakers I felt like I ripped off the manufacturer; like I paid way too little. Trust me, I've NEVER felt that! Truly an incredible bargain.
Are they good for a desktop setup?

milan616

Forum Donor
Are they good for a desktop setup?

I'm using them in a desktop setup and loving them, but ...

... that said Dennis has said the kit is no longer available due to component price increases. Even if he open sourced the crossover design I'm not sure you could build it near as economically. $102x2 tweeters, $27x2 woofers, $75 cabinets is $333 before factoring in crossover costs and securing some of the Eco-core used, and any shipping. The last crossovers I built of Dennis' design was about $70 for two for the Pioneer FS52 and the AA+ kit electronics to my eye looked a bit higher quality/more expensive.

BWard

I feel extremely lucky that I got the best value bargain in all of audio. Shame he can longer make them. Although even if he charged $550 I'd still consider that a bargain.

milan616

Forum Donor
I feel extremely lucky that I got the best value bargain in all of audio. Shame he can longer make them. Although even if he charged $550 I'd still consider that a bargain.

Same! Hopefully the post-pandemic world will see inventories and prices return to somewhat normal levels.

Top Bottom