• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any recommendations for a DAP?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have Stealth and Qudelix 5K. The 5K by itself is nowhere near powerful enough to adequately drive stealth for my listening habits. You could use it in conjunction with something like NX7 or Ampersand, but by itself it would be underwhelming. E1DA 9038 balanced with a "spare" iPhone (you need a certain cable, I don't have Apple so not sure the specifics) would be absolute minimum for Stealth IME.

Wireless, topping G5 is a good place to start but amir's mention of something going on in sub-bass matched my experience as well. If your music doesn't have a lot of sub-bass, it's probably a non issue

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I have an iPad I control via my Apple Watch using Apple Music so I can take advantage of Hifi lossless while at home, without having to have wires from my D90SE to my phone.

My goal is to get something portable that can power both the Dan Clark Stealth’s and IEMs. I could just use a dongle if I just wanted to power the IEMs, totally get that. I’m looking for something I can take with me that can stream/download offline Apple Music lossless that isn’t too bulky/heavy so I can also bring it on workouts with my IEMs when needed. Also could be used when at hotels when I’m traveling for my Stealths.

I’m not looking for anything snake oily like the SP3000, however wouldn’t have a problem with something like the iBasso DX320 or DX240. My main concern with these units is I haven’t been able to find any objective reviews. Definitely want to buy something that’s objectively performant.

Thanks!
My suggestion ?

Get a Topping G5 and connect it to your iPhone.
Plenty of power and perfect objective performance. Amir has a review of it here, worth a read.

jasonhanjk

- FiiO M11 Plus - Noisy

- iBasso DX320 - No data

- iBasso DX240 - Noisy

- Fiio M15 - No data

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

My suggestion ?

Get a Topping G5 and connect it to your iPhone.
Plenty of power and perfect objective performance. Amir has a review of it here, worth a read.
I have the G5, but was looking for something more portable.

The final decision:

- No DAP
- Qudelix 5k for on the go with my IEMs
- keep my Topping G5 for my Stealths when traveling

Thanks everyone for the help!

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the G5, but was looking for something more portable.

The final decision:

- No DAP
- Qudelix 5k for on the go with my IEMs
- keep my Topping G5 for my Stealths when traveling

Thanks everyone for the help!
Have you tried the apple lightning dongle? For $12 it's definitely worth trying out.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it doesn't run Android you might be missing out on the largest difference I've experienced with headphones: Using an app like Wavelet to correct the frequency response of hundreds of headphones to more accurately match the harman curve.

I use it with Airpods and it greatly improves the sound.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
All DAPS, no matter the price or size, have terrible software!!
All of their marketing is based on their hardware, appealing directly to the hearts of audiophiles who believe that a super capacitor can give you a special sound.
I assure you that if what you want is Apple Music, 100% of the DAPS will give you a big headache.

My recomendation:

- iPhone 12 or 13 mini
- Qudelix 5k

You can use your iphone 14, but since you use Stealth I assume another music-only iphone wouldn't be a problem. Trust me, if you are used to iOS, all DAPS will look like an atari to you.

Qudelix has great software and also allows you Equalization. When you want to leave the iPhone at home you can connect it directly to your Apple Watch
Sure thing...

MTBDoc

I received a Hidizs AP80 Pro-X a few days ago. Sound quality is quite good, it is very compact which is important for me for working out, doing outdoor work, etc. I do NOT like the idea of having a cell constantly in my pocket. As a physician & amateur radio operator, I am less than convinced there is no harm from the operating frequencies. So if a phone is used in airplane mode => it’s not a phone. USB &headphone jacks are rather fragile in my experience. Finally, I don’t want to run down the phone’s battery.

I had offered to send this to our host for review, but haven’t heard back since I actually got it (he said he would test it when I previously enquired).I am awaiting mailing info, etc. I assume that the implementation of the DAC has improved over time, so I’m curious to see “numbers.” The battery life is fine for me. 512GB limit on flash, but if I ever outgrow that size, it just takes a moment to put in a different card.

Somehow spending many hundreds-thousands for one of these devices seems absurd, but <$200 (actually $139 from Linsoul on Chinese NYsale) was a no brainer.

monkeyboy

I have been looking at the AP80 for use at the gym...how do you like the OS?

I agree with you regarding the dangers of cell phones, RFK Jr has some active litigation regarding this. I own a cell, but use it as a DAP, don't even have a SIM card, I keep it in airplane mode...

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It's HiBy Music only the new Sabre's are not even close in efficiency to old CS43131 but you do get MQA.

MTBDoc

Not sure what “efficiency” you speak of, but I question whether the noise level is remotely audible in portable use that these are designed for.

Phone: a small faraday bag isn’t out of the question if one doesn’t need any connection. Phones just seem fragile, this feels more robust. Also has a volume know that I like

monkeyboy

one big downside of a phone is the lack of function keys, on andriod you can long press the volume keys to skip tracks, which is OK, but not quite the same....on the up side I can side load a podcast app, and usb-tether the phone to download podcasts...

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Not sure what “efficiency” you speak of, but I question whether the noise level is remotely audible in portable use that these are designed for.

Phone: a small faraday bag isn’t out of the question if one doesn’t need any connection. Phones just seem fragile, this feels more robust. Also has a volume know that I like
DAC IC efficiency or power use if you whish which translates to battery life in such device's.
With HiBy software/player based DAP's you can use phone (HiBy music app) over Hyby link (BT) connection to control DAPs functions and streaming (not meaning only BT one but WiFi also) if you want.

Oldasdrt

Haven't been on in a while, but a great discussion here, as mentioned, the LG V60 (I have the V 50) is a great option, great sound out of the quad DACs, tons of storage,you can get rid of most of the bloatware, decent screen, not too big, excellent battery life, all around a winner, I use mine with Poweramp and Poweramp EQ(with Crinacle and Oratory PEQ curves for my IEM and HD 599, sounds great

Top Bottom