• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any recommendations for a DAP?

gallionetech

Hey all,

I'm having a hard time picking out a DAP. Theres so many options, some priced high and low. Trying to figure out what is the best option to pair with my 64Audio U12t's and my Dan Clark Stealth's. I only plan to use it on the go, and Apple Music is a must. Anyone know of any good options?

I'm considering the following, however recommend anything you think would be a good option:
- FiiO M11 Plus
- iBasso DX320
- iBasso DX240
- Fiio M15

Thanks in advance!

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The reviews here in ASR indicate that there is a lot more value for the money in just using a phone as a DAP and if carefully chosen, the sound quality can be excellent. I purchased a Samsung that has a headphone output, however I don't think Samsung makes any with headphone output anymore. LG was the most highly reviewed phone for the purpose of a DAP, so if they still make some with headphone outputs, I would start looking in that direction.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
I like my IBasso DX300. Big beautiful screen, plus the company just issued an update from Android 9 to 11 (meaning that they could have just quit supporting it a year or two ago but didn't). The DX320 came about due to sourcing issues for the DX300, so it's not too different.

The FiiO M17 is a big, beautiful beast, but I've never heard it or used it. I did own the M11, but with Android 7 it was not a good streamer - graphically speaking - the audio was fine.

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

The reviews here in ASR indicate that there is a lot more value for the money in just using a phone as a DAP and if carefully chosen, the sound quality can be excellent. I purchased a Samsung that has a headphone output, however I don't think Samsung makes any with headphone output anymore. LG was the most highly reviewed phone for the purpose of a DAP, so if they still make some with headphone outputs, I would start looking in that direction.
Thanks for the recommendation, I have the Topping G5 + iPhone 14 Pro Max which works great but is way too big for portability. I’d like to keep my iPhone, I tried switching to an Android phone fully but it’s just not for me. That’s the reason I’m seeking a DAP. I’d like to be able to bring the DAP when I’m working out, etc. and leave my iPhone behind

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Phone + a good dongle is a better value imo.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Phones are so good, there's no need for a DAP unless you need higher power output to drive headphones with low efficiency or voltage sensitivity. Yet headphones like that are usually big & bulky enough that portability isn't needed anyway. So my approach is to use the phone for portability with the smaller more portable IEMs that it can drive just fine, and when at the home or office where I have bigger bulkier headphones, plug the phone into an amp or DAC to drive the headphones properly.

PS sounds like you have a similar situation traveling with the 64Audio IEMs and using the Stealths at the home or office.

monkeyboy

I think a phone and usb-dac/amp is the way to go...you can get a renewed phone cheap on amazon, and if you just use it as a DAP, you can turn off the radios and get great battery life...I'm using a renewed LG G8 as a DAP and get over a week of use before recharging...and it was less than half the price of an M11s

MRC01

Major Contributor
Another topic worth mention: when you connect the phone to an external device to drive the big headphones - two options. You can use the phone's analog output (if it has one), or its digital output (via USB). The former works fine since most phones have good clean DACs. They are power limited but that doesn't matter when using the headphone out as a line level input to an amp.

The latter (digital output over USB) can get tricky. You want an app on the phone that outputs the digital audio data without mucking with it. On Android (which resamples everything by default), USB Audio Player Pro does this nicely, bypassing the default Android resampling, and it also has plugins for useful DSP. I'm less familiar with Apple phones, but just make sure they aren't resampling or otherwise processing the digital data before sending it out the USB.

One thing that complicates my situation is that I store my music library on a small external hard drive. When my phone uses this, I must use its analog output (since the hard drive is hogging its USB port). So I have a desktop DAC+amp having both digital and analog inputs. My laptop feeds the digital input, my phone feeds the analog input and I can listen to either. When traveling, I only need the phone.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I think a phone and usb-dac/amp is the way to go...you can get a renewed phone cheap on amazon, and if you just use it as a DAP, you can turn off the radios and get great battery life...I'm using a renewed LG G8 as a DAP and get over a week of use before recharging...and it was less than half the price of an M11s

Sticking with the LG V60 over a DAP. Even if I had cans that didn't match well with its quad dac amplifier (which I don't)I could still take advantage of its up to 2TB storage while using my dongle via USB (or JDS amp for home).

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s the reason I’m seeking a DAP. I’d like to be able to bring the DAP when I’m working out, etc. and leave my iPhone behind

Given that you can afford to wear $4k headphones and $2k IEMs whilst 'working out', you can probably afford a live band :)

monkeyboy

I'm assuming the phone is used as a portable player, while commuting/walking around. If you need more power then you can always connect it to a desktop class USB DAC/AMP.

I guess I don't don't see the issue with resampling, as long as it is done correctly and invertable, what's the issue?

Most non-apple phones can take a microSD card, usually 1TB+ in size...I have a HUGE album collection in FLAC format and have no issues...

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

I'm assuming the phone is used as a portable player, while commuting/walking around. If you need more power then you can always connect it to a desktop class USB DAC/AMP.

I guess I don't don't see the issue with resampling, as long as it is done correctly and invertable, what's the issue?

Most non-apple phones can take a microSD card, usually 1TB+ in size...I have a HUGE album collection in FLAC format and have no issues...

I have an iPad I control via my Apple Watch using Apple Music so I can take advantage of Hifi lossless while at home, without having to have wires from my D90SE to my phone.

My goal is to get something portable that can power both the Dan Clark Stealth’s and IEMs. I could just use a dongle if I just wanted to power the IEMs, totally get that. I’m looking for something I can take with me that can stream/download offline Apple Music lossless that isn’t too bulky/heavy so I can also bring it on workouts with my IEMs when needed. Also could be used when at hotels when I’m traveling for my Stealths.

I’m not looking for anything snake oily like the SP3000, however wouldn’t have a problem with something like the iBasso DX320 or DX240. My main concern with these units is I haven’t been able to find any objective reviews. Definitely want to buy something that’s objectively performant.

Thanks!

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
Definitely want to buy something that’s objectively performant.
Amir's review of the FiiO M15.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Try to find HiBy R3Pro (non Sabre with CS43131 DAC's) if you can and if it satisfy your needs regarding output power... Be warned that it's BT range is rather limited and more so with LDAC.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Thanks for the recommendation, I have the Topping G5 + iPhone 14 Pro Max which works great but is way too big for portability. I’d like to keep my iPhone, I tried switching to an Android phone fully but it’s just not for me. That’s the reason I’m seeking a DAP. I’d like to be able to bring the DAP when I’m working out, etc. and leave my iPhone behind
If the G5+iPhone was too bulky, I think that your choice should be based on the size of the DAP, to wit: the M11+ comes in at 295g vs 240g for the DX240 and 310g for the DX320.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
When I am working out, I prefer not to have cables dangling around. Also, I do not need great audio quality because my attention is on what I am doing, rather than the music. Maybe you should consider true wireless earbuds. It will annoy you less than strapping a DAP to your arm or belt. If you really want a DAP for working out, I would choose one for its physical properties (i.e. small size and lightweight) rather than for its sound quality. Of course, it needs to have enough output to power your choice of IEM.

For exercise, I have 3 different headphones. A bone conduction headset that straps to my goggles when I am swimming (it has a built-in DAP), a FitBit bone conduction headphone for cycling because I need to be aware of my environment when cycling, and a true wireless IEM that isolates very well and sounds much better than the other two for the gym.

As you can tell, which way you choose to deliver music while you are exercising depends on what kind of exercise you do. With some other sports that I play (golf, badminton and squash) I listen to no music because those are social sports and I need to concentrate. Nothing says "leave me alone" more than wearing a pair of headphones or IEM's. My golfing buddies won't invite me any more if I did that.

Choosing a DAP for sound quality is a different matter. Your DCA Expanse needs quite a bit of output so I would choose a DAP with a powerful built-in amplifier like the iBasso DX320, which has a stonkingly powerful (and also modular and replaceable) amplifier.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
When I am working out, I prefer not to have cables dangling around. Also, I do not need great audio quality because my attention is on what I am doing, rather than the music. Maybe you should consider true wireless earbuds. It will annoy you less than strapping a DAP to your arm or belt. If you really want a DAP for working out, I would choose one for its physical properties (i.e. small size and lightweight) rather than for its sound quality. Of course, it needs to have enough output to power your choice of IEM.

For exercise, I have 3 different headphones. A bone conduction headset that straps to my goggles when I am swimming (it has a built-in DAP), a FitBit bone conduction headphone for cycling because I need to be aware of my environment when cycling, and a true wireless IEM that isolates very well and sounds much better than the other two for the gym.

As you can tell, which way you choose to deliver music while you are exercising depends on what kind of exercise you do. With some other sports that I play (golf, badminton and squash) I listen to no music because those are social sports and I need to concentrate. Nothing says "leave me alone" more than wearing a pair of headphones or IEM's. My golfing buddies won't invite me any more if I did that.

Choosing a DAP for sound quality is a different matter. Your DCA Expanse needs quite a bit of output so I would choose a DAP with a powerful built-in amplifier like the iBasso DX320, which has a stonkingly powerful (and also modular and replaceable) amplifier.

I cannot imagine going out and about with the DCA Expanse but ok

Battery life might also be a consideration... Most DAPs wouldn't last a trans-Pacific journey without a charge where a phone like the V60 would be fine going there and back.

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

I cannot imagine going out and about with the DCA Expanse but ok

Battery life might also be a consideration... Most DAPs wouldn't last a trans-Pacific journey without a charge where a phone like the V60 would be fine going there and back.
Definitely plan to commute/be out and about only with my u12t's.

Does anyone know of any good lightning dongle dacs? I'm thinking instead to use the G5 for when i don't need portability but im on the go (hotel, desk, etc.) and a dongle when im out and about.

I had the ddHifi TC44A however it burnt out which is a common complaint of that unit

velasfloyd

All DAPS, no matter the price or size, have terrible software!!
All of their marketing is based on their hardware, appealing directly to the hearts of audiophiles who believe that a super capacitor can give you a special sound.
I assure you that if what you want is Apple Music, 100% of the DAPS will give you a big headache.

My recomendation:

- iPhone 12 or 13 mini
- Qudelix 5k

You can use your iphone 14, but since you use Stealth I assume another music-only iphone wouldn't be a problem. Trust me, if you are used to iOS, all DAPS will look like an atari to you.

Qudelix has great software and also allows you Equalization. When you want to leave the iPhone at home you can connect it directly to your Apple Watch

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

All DAPS, no matter the price or size, have terrible software!!
All of their marketing is based on their hardware, appealing directly to the hearts of audiophiles who believe that a super capacitor can give you a special sound.
I assure you that if what you want is Apple Music, 100% of the DAPS will give you a big headache.

My recomendation:

- iPhone 12 or 13 mini
- Qudelix 5k

You can use your iphone 14, but since you use Stealth I assume another music-only iphone wouldn't be a problem. Trust me, if you are used to iOS, all DAPS will look like an atari to you.

Qudelix has great software and also allows you Equalization. When you want to leave the iPhone at home you can connect it directly to your Apple Watch
Thanks for this, makes a lot of sense.. was a bit worried about the software that’s why I was leaning toward iBasso since it’s more open android. However I think this will make more sense

Top Bottom