• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any reason not to use an AVR for a music only setup?

goldark

Forum Donor
I'm in the process of putting together a secondary music-only setup with some JBL towers and wish to keep things somewhat reasonably priced (under $1500 for electronics - I already have the speakers) and the more I go through my laundry list of features I'd want, the more an AVR makes sense to me.

Things I need:
- Amplfier
- DAC (connecting a CD player and a USB hard drive with music on there)
- Music streaming capability
- Room correction (correcting only below the transition frequency)

An AVR seems to be able to check all those boxes without exceeding my budget. However, the only thing that gives me pause is that, objectively speaking, the DAC's and amps in these devices put up mediocre measurements compared to separate SOTA devices as measured here on ASR. Is there a way to put together something that objectively performs well, within budget, and has the capabilities above? Or am I just stuck with an AVR? Would the mediocre SINAD measurements be very audible during normal listening conditions?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I happy with a (low-end) AVR for everything.

I actually like to use "soundfield" setting with stereo to simulate a larger space with reverb from the rear speakers. But even with stereo I'd be happy using the AVR as an amplifier and control center.

I have subwoofers so I need some kind of crossover/bass management.

It can decode all of the "shiny disc" formats.

...Some of my "music" is video concerts with surround sound. ;) ...Some of the best sounding music I own (for my taste).

Open Mind Audio

Will you have a sub? Will this be strictly stereo (or stereo with a sub)?

PS - And how much power do you feel you need for your speakers?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in the process of putting together a secondary music-only setup with some JBL towers and wish to keep things somewhat reasonably priced (under $1500 for electronics - I already have the speakers) and the more I go through my laundry list of features I'd want, the more an AVR makes sense to me.

Things I need:
- Amplfier

An AVR seems to be able to check all those boxes without exceeding my budget. However, the only thing that gives me pause is that, objectively speaking, the DAC's and amps in these devices put up mediocre measurements compared to separate SOTA devices as measured here on ASR. Is there a way to put together something that objectively performs well, within budget, and has the capabilities above? Or am I just stuck with an AVR? Would the mediocre SINAD measurements be very audible during normal listening conditions?
That's true. However, you may not be able to hear the tiny improvement using separates. Sometimes good enough is good enough. Speakers remain the place to spend more money.

OP
G

goldark

Forum Donor
Will you have a sub? Will this be strictly stereo (or stereo with a sub)?

PS - And how much power do you feel you need for your speakers?
No subwoofer at this time, although that's another feature an AVR has (bass management) that might be useful down the line.

I'll be sitting about 8 feet away and don't need any crazy amounts of power I feel.

Yameyo

Just switching to an AVR myself. Had tried room correction with REW and Mathaudio, but wanted a source-agnostic option that wasn't limited to content streamed from my computer. I did find that adding a subwoofer to my standmount speakers was worthwhile, particularly at lower listening volumes. I only listen about six feet away from my speakers.

Open Mind Audio

I asked about stereo (implied, vs. multi-channel) because both of these integrated amp/receivers may tick all your boxes:

Both will give you subwoofer options and both appear to measure well. Amir measured the Yammie and the NAD 268 sibling of the 368. I owned the previous iteration of the Yamaha for several years and enjoyed it with a secondary music set-up. The streaming was limited to Yamaha's Musiccast, which had an inferior interface at the time. (The interface has allegedly been much improved but you'd want to verify that.) The NAD will give you a better streaming interface, either through BluOS or Roon. The interface is a big element for what you're seeking, so I'd go with the NAD based on that, and as you look at options, I'd seek one that works with Roon or another good streaming interface.

I imagine you'll get lots of good recommendations. While separates offer better long-term flexibility and the ability to get great SINAD throughout the chain, I see no issue with your all-in-one approach if you go with a solid-measuring box. An AVR could accomplish this as well. IMHO you will get better value going with a 2-channel receiver or integrated amp from a reputable brand that is putting more of the money on better SNR, low distortion, ample power, and a good interface. With the AVR, you're paying extra for amplifiers and channels you won't use, and in the worst case, these extra channels will diminish the audio quality.

PS - These may not meet your room correction needs, not sure. I set my room correction in Roon for my two 2-channel systems and that works fine, but that requires running REW on my laptop. Still, you could accomplish that easily while staying under budget, buying a UMIK mic and running your own room correction.

Trell

Major Contributor
An AVR will work just fine for music. I use an AVR for both music and home theatre. Even for just stereo it will be fine and better value for money compared to two channel integrated amplifiers as AVR are produced in much larger quantities.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Suggestion: If you go with an AVR, get that has pre outs (most have these). You can add a separate power amp(s) later should you feel the need.

D

Deleted member 48726

I found going from a top of the line Yamaha AVR (RX-V3800) to integrated / power amplifier to be quite the difference. Many may say otherwise, but I could hear a clear difference in control of my speakers. -Tighter bass and clearer mid range and of course headroom to play louder. My speakers may well be a bit difficult to control with seven drivers in each tower and that may have something to do with the fact. -Your miles may vary..

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some avrs are easier to use with just their front panel vs having a tv/display is one consideration. Choice of avrs that allow limiting of frequency for correction...easiest probably the Audyssey avrs (Denon/Marantz) that can use the editor app. Some avrs have more powerful amps than others...but I'd still get one with a full set of pre-outs so I have amp flexibility down the line. In general they're fine for the purpose, tho.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Things I need:
- Amplfier

My experience has been that electronics have quite a small impact on sound quality (compared to speakers, room acoustics and source). Disappointing really given the amount of money I have spent on electronics over the years.... There are a lot of people with a lot more experience than me in this space who will tell you the same thing. Room correction will have a bigger impact on the quality of what you are hearing than a bit better DAC or Amp.

Modern AVRs have a pretty compelling list of features that make them a good option for a second system.

Robin L

Master Contributor

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Best to read the thread re the Yamaha RN803. I have one and the YPAO room correction, at least for me, seriously degraded the sound. And the bass management is quite mysterious in this unit. To find a crossover (owners manual useless) you need the MusicCast app and of course to use this feature requires the digital components of the RN803 which suck. I'm using it in Pure Direct mode and setting the crossover at the sub. The mains still get a full range speaker however. Sound is good but I put that down to the M106 speakers more than anything else. Looking at the miniDSP Flex and a good amp as an alternative.
Andrew Robinson and the Cheap Audio guy have produced YouTube videos on this very topic and they might be useful to you if you haven't already seen them. Lots of theoretical advantages but in practice maybe not so much. The cost is much greater but integrateds like the M33 and STR products have all the advantages of a one box AVR solution and IMO higher quality overall. Buy once, cry once.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor

Things I need:
- Amplfier

Consider the miniDSP Flex and a good amp. If you're streaming your tunes all you'd need in addition would be a streamer and that new Wii streamer seems to be a great choice, either the mini or the pro version. Tested here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-review-streamer.33099/

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree---having a dedicated sub out is a big bonus.
Not just a dedicated sub out, but bass management behind it. A full range sub pre-out is all too often found on 2ch gear.

Pablo27

Things I need:
- Amplfier

An AVR seems to be able to check all those boxes without exceeding my budget. However, the only thing that gives me pause is that, objectively speaking, the DAC's and amps in these devices put up mediocre measurements compared to separate SOTA devices as measured here on ASR. Is there a way to put together something that objectively performs well, within budget, and has the capabilities above? Or am I just stuck with an AVR? Would the mediocre SINAD measurements be very audible during normal
I swapped my Sony AVR (middle of the road one) for an audiophonics 250 (which i had sat around doing nothing) with a meridian preamp. I don't think I can tell the difference. Which to me, at least, indicates there is most probably no or very little audible difference. Im not "cloth eared", i jnow a great spundstage and imaging when i hear it. I'm actually thinking if swapping back to the avr due to the additional features.

I don't know what your situation is but I would build a few acoustic panels / get dirac way before you swapped out your avr.

Trdat

Forum Donor
Things I need:
- Amplfier
-Hypex Amp
-Topping DAC
-Stream through a computer
-Audiolense or Aucurate

All under $1500 and all near state of the art

This set up only lacks the ability to upgrade to a sub, which is possible but needs an additional DAC/amp or crossover/amp.

AVR is only bought when you need
1. Surround and the upmixing options that come with it.
2. Sound compression for loud sounds or the opposite increasing soft sounds during low volumes such as Audyssey's options.
3. Some type of room correction which is also offered with AVR's

If your listening to 2 channel music then I do not recommend an AVR, especially that this is going to be a secondary music only set up. It's like using a rally car on a race track.

D

Deleted member 48726

Best to read the thread re the Yamaha RN803. I have one and the YPAO room correction, at least for me, seriously degraded the sound. And the bass management is quite mysterious in this unit. To find a crossover (owners manual useless) you need the MusicCast app and of course to use this feature requires the digital components of the RN803 which suck. I'm using it in Pure Direct mode and setting the crossover at the sub. The mains still get a full range speaker however. Sound is good but I put that down to the M106 speakers more than anything else. Looking at the miniDSP Flex and a good amp as an alternative.
Andrew Robinson and the Cheap Audio guy have produced YouTube videos on this very topic and they might be useful to you if you haven't already seen them. Lots of theoretical advantages but in practice maybe not so much. The cost is much greater but integrateds like the M33 and STR products have all the advantages of a one box AVR solution and IMO higher quality overall. Buy once, cry once.
My experience with YPAO is that it only gets it kind of right once in a blue moon. Hopefully it has improved since the RX-V3800.

Top Bottom