• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any PSB fans here?

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some places are listing some of the models, including the top-of-the-line T3s as discontinued. Is that true, or is it just certain retailers discontinuing their association with PSB? I've seen Audio Advice and Crutchfield. On closeout these might fall into my budget, although if it is true it might be worth waiting to see the replacements.

D328BCEA-4F08-477C-92A7-1E09DA832981.jpeg

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I own a pair of the PSB Imagine X2T, they sound fantastic and look amazing too! For the price, Chapeau, Paul Barton!
I thought I was the only one! :eek:

I got the following from a local dealer back in Christmas of 2017. (in CAD)
- X2T $1200/pair (retail is $1900/pair)
- XC center $400 (retail is $650)
- XB bookshelf $375/pair (retail is $800/pair)

There wasn't that many good options to choose from (based on limited options available to Canadians anyway), but at the end, the decision came down to either this or Kef Qx50 series (specifically the Q550 or Q750 or Q950 towers, Q650 center, and Q350 or Q150 bookshelves).

At the time, there were no Kef Qx50 measurements posted, as this series were released in mid 2017 (less than 6 months before I was about to purchase).
There were only measurements of previous generation Kef Qx00 series (specifically the Q900 tower, Q600 center, and Q100 bookshelves) and those measurements looked decent.
On the other hand, PSB Imagine X series were released in May 2014 and by the time I was thinking of purchasing, I found measurements of X2T (from soundstage) and bookshelves/center (from soundandvision), so that made my decision easier.
The clincher of course was Paul Barton's reputation of having worked with Dr Floyd Toole at Canada's NRC.

Since Amir reviewed and ranked KEF Q350 as questionable performer, I think I made the correct choice.
I guess I won't know for sure, until Amir measures my XB bookshelf.

Oh and yes, they sound good to me! :D

Last edited:

rodtor

Forum Donor
I own a pair of the PSB Imagine X2T, they sound fantastic and look amazing too! For the price, Chapeau, Paul Barton!
I have these too, and agree. And as @sweetchaos points out, the Soundstage test results look good. The PSB speakers all seem to have a strange bump in FR around 15 kHz. At my age, though, I doubt that it makes much difference. ..

OP

3dbinCanada

I bought my PSB Image T45s 10+ years ago and I never looked back. In fact because the Image series, I purchased the entire line of PSBs before the Century I line and they all sound so good. The only two models Im missing are 800 and 1000 towers.

Beave

Major Contributor
I have these too, and agree. And as @sweetchaos points out, the Soundstage test results look good. The PSB speakers all seem to have a strange bump in FR around 15 kHz. At my age, though, I doubt that it makes much difference. ..

The titanium tweeter they use (in many of their speakers) has significant peaks and dips in its response just below 20kHz.

I'm not sure if it's from the titanium dome breaking up or from some other factor.

And like you, I'm not sure how audible it is - I can't hear that high any more, and there's not much content there anyway.

Beave

Major Contributor
I read somewhere online - and unfortunately I can't find where right now - that PSB's factory in China had to shut down early this year due to Covid, and that they haven't reopened since then. That has led to many of the speakers in PSB's lineup not being available for several months, and it has led to the possibility that many of those models won't return even if/when the factory reopens in the future.

Take this as internet rumor, not confirmed fact, but that is what I read.

K1983

There wasn't that many good options to choose from (based on the budget), but at the end, the decision came down to either this or Kef QX50 series.

At the time, there were no QX50 measurements posted, as this series were released in mid 2017 (less than 6 months before I was about to purchase).
There were only measurements of previous generation (called QX00 series) and those measurements looked decent.
On the other hand, PSB Imagine X series were released in May 2014 and by the time I was thinking of purchasing, they had measurements from X2T (from soundstage) and bookshelves/center (from soundandvision), so that made my decision easier.
The clincher of course was Paul Barton's reputation of having worked with Dr Floyd Toole at Canada's NRC.

Since Amir reviewed and ranked KEF Q350 as questionable performer, I think I made the correct choice.

Here is the link to the Sounstage measurements they did on the X2T : :)

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

K1983

There wasn't that many good options to choose from (based on the budget), but at the end, the decision came down to either this or Kef QX50 series.

At the time, there were no QX50 measurements posted, as this series were released in mid 2017 (less than 6 months before I was about to purchase).
There were only measurements of previous generation (called QX00 series) and those measurements looked decent.
On the other hand, PSB Imagine X series were released in May 2014 and by the time I was thinking of purchasing, they had measurements from X2T (from soundstage) and bookshelves/center (from soundandvision), so that made my decision easier.

Hehe probably you mean the Kef XQ series ;)https://www.audioholics.com/trade-shows/2007-cedia-expo/kef-xq-series-speakers.html

There was a used pair of the xq5 in Montreal for 1500$ but I missed Them... But Little later I got my X2T, like new, for 800$ shipping included :D a fantastic price for those fantastic speakers.

But you got yours New and in 2017 for 1200$... Wow! That was a real deal too!
Cheers.

K1983

I read somewhere online - and unfortunately I can't find where right now - that PSB's factory in China had to shut down early this year due to Covid, and that they haven't reopened since then. That has led to many of the speakers in PSB's lineup not being available for several months, and it has led to the possibility that many of those models won't return even if/when the factory reopens in the future.

Take this as internet rumor, not confirmed fact, but that is what I read.

Oh wow... I noticed on their homepage that many speakers were ,,discontinued,, but didn,t think about the fact that the PsB factory in China would have to be close down...
I actually thought that maybe Barton and PsB would announce soon a new TOTL series, replacing the Imagine séries, that,s why many speakers of the Imagine Line is ,, discontinued,,.
Paul Barton was recently on YouTube for some présentations and interviews but he never mentionned this.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

seadogbiscuit

Forum Donor
I don't think they're getting the resources that NAD gets. They come out with a new product every few years. The new Alpha's didn't test well and they show a lot of speakers online that aren't available. NAD has their A game going. They already have a Purifi amp, while PSB comes out with new active speakers. I've bought Paradigm this year, when in the past PSB was my go-to speaker. Marketing idea: A new, improved Alpha B1 from Canada! Say around $500/pair. Do it right and they'd sell a ton.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I used to own a pair of Stratus Gold i‘s. I was happy with them for more than a decade. When I moved, I didn’t want to ship them so I gave them to a friend and bought a pair of Imagine T2’s. They are very good sounding speakers. I will probably keep them until they die or I do. I listen to them in a stereo setup and in a 5.1.2 setup with Imagine Mini surround, an Imagine Mini center channel and a pair of Focal Little Birds as front presence speakers for my Yamaha receiver. In both configurations the T2’s are driven by a Crown XLS 1502 An crossed over at 50hz to an SVS SB 2000 Pro. I think Paul Barton knows what he is doing. I don’t think a low distortion speaker with a smooth in room frequency response will jump out and get your attention in a demo room. They will, however, produce a lot of hours of enjoyment in your home.

K1983

I don't think they're getting the resources that NAD gets. They come out with a new product every few years. The new Alpha's didn't test well and they show a lot of speakers online that aren't available. NAD has their A game going. They already have a Purifi amp, while PSB comes out with new active speakers. I've bought Paradigm this year, when in the past PSB was my go-to speaker. Marketing idea: A new, improved Alpha B1 from Canada! Say around $500/pair. Do it right and they'd sell a ton.
Which Paradigm speaker did you Buy. I like Paradigm too. But their New speakers measurements are not neutral anymore... They are making now their ,, signature Paradigm sound,, for better or for worse.

OP

3dbinCanada

NAD has one of the worst reputations for quality control and component returns. Dumping money into them is tossing out good money. Lenbrook shoukd get their sh?t together behind PSB.

seadogbiscuit

Forum Donor
Premier 100 B's. On sale. I tried the Mini Monitor, the Atom SE and 1 more. All excellent for the price. The Premiers are made in Canada.
I have a First Watt amp and need an efficient speaker. If PSB gives me another reason to buy, I will.

K1983

Premier 100 B's. On sale. I tried the Mini Monitor, the Atom SE and 1 more. All excellent for the price. The Premiers are made in Canada.
I have a First Watt amp and need an efficient speaker. If PSB gives me another reason to buy, I will.
Yes, i had one pair of the Premier 100b too for some times. They sound good to me. And made in Canada is a bonus and they look good too.
The Premier line gets trickle down technologies from their totl Persona series!

Top Bottom