• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any opinions on the performance of the Hidizs AP 80 DAP?

Audio Flynn

First post. I am on old USA mid west guy at 59 who was a sound engineer in the analog world. I currently keep active in both the digital and analog world. At my farm I use Klipsch Belles and custom built KT88 tube power amp with Conrad Johnson PV12B tube preamp for playing vinyl on a VPI Classic 1 with Soundsmith cartridge. I use older MSB Link III and Channel Islands DACs and plan on buying a Topping D70 based upon the forum discussion.

I do travel quite frequently and my portable music quality is not so good. I bought the AP 80 just to get my feet wet and take my J River stored FLAC files at 16 / 44 on the road with me. I do plan on ripping my vinyl to 24 / 88 in the future.

Thanks to all who post this is a very good forum.

I would like a larger DAP with longer battery life for long distance plane and train travel. Is it time to move on from the AP 80?

Regards;

Rick

tential

It has the capability of being used as a pc dac that can transmit ldac. The only device I know that does this well. The fiio have weird lag supposedly.

Otherwise, no dap has ever tested well here. An LG v20 with an app like neutron is your best bet.

Otherwise, audibly, if your ears aren't offended.... Might as well enjoy?.

You can hook any portable dac and the ap80 will output to it if you want to try other amps/dacs. E1da or the nx4 dsd

OP
A

Audio Flynn

I agree DAPs most likely test poorly except maybe Astell & Kern higher end of their product line. Spending that much money on portable music equipment is not my priority. When I buy a new piece of equipment I tend to run it in its original form for some time. In another 50 hours I will do the firmware upgrade.

I take a battery powered single speaker on trips, play through in ear and over ear phones, and use a Klipsch The One in the bedroom. The farmhouse has a small bedroom which precludes a full stereo system.

For convenient simple mid fi use the AP 80 is a decent value. It comes up short on the usual difficult instruments ride cymbal, snare and piano decay. I do not find the AP 80 to have jitter fatigue from 4 hours of continuous listening.

I will post another update in the next month after firmware upgrade.

Rick

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
+1 on an LG V20

Seems to me that a new LG V20 at $120 NIB might work well for you. It is similar to the G7 reviewed here- same Quad DAC. The battery is easily replaceable - and high capacity replacements are available on Amazon at reasonable cost. Charge a couple and take with you on trips..

There is a new thread specifically on the V20:
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...cated-dap-and-general-owners-discussion.9977/

I did not find it necessary to root - and left mine stock with Android 8.

I'd also take the time to wade thru the 13 pages about the G7 review.

And don't worry about the 'anemic' reported amp output. It is simply the default for low -impedance IEM/headphones and is easily reset on the fly without rooting using an impedance adapter/"noise reducer". This gives either a full 1v or 2v output - plenty for my HE400i.

I am so pleased with the first one I got, I just ordered a second..

OP
A

Audio Flynn

+1 on an LG V20

Seems to me that a new LG V20 at $120 NIB might work well for you. It is similar to the G7 reviewed here- same Quad DAC. The battery is easily replaceable - and high capacity replacements are available on Amazon at reasonable cost. Charge a couple and take with you on trips..

There is a new thread specifically on the V20:
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...cated-dap-and-general-owners-discussion.9977/

I did not find it necessary to root - and left mine stock with Android 8.

I'd also take the time to wade thru the 13 pages about the G7 review.

And don't worry about the 'anemic' reported amp output. It is simply the default for low -impedance IEM/headphones and is easily reset on the fly without rooting using an impedance adapter/"noise reducer". This gives either a full 1v or 2v output - plenty for my HE400i.

I am so pleased with the first one I got, I just ordered a second..

Thanks for the recommendation. Greatly appreciated.

Rick

tential

I agree DAPs most likely test poorly except maybe Astell & Kern higher end of their product line. Spending that much money on portable music equipment is not my priority. When I buy a new piece of equipment I tend to run it in its original form for some time. In another 50 hours I will do the firmware upgrade.

I take a battery powered single speaker on trips, play through in ear and over ear phones, and use a Klipsch The One in the bedroom. The farmhouse has a small bedroom which precludes a full stereo system.

For convenient simple mid fi use the AP 80 is a decent value. It comes up short on the usual difficult instruments ride cymbal, snare and piano decay. I do not find the AP 80 to have jitter fatigue from 4 hours of continuous listening.

I will post another update in the next month after firmware upgrade.

Rick
No idea why you think astell and kern would test well.

It most likely tests badly. Companies with good brand recognition have no incentive to make sure tested specs work. That's the domain of unknown companies where they can't sell on brand alone.
I'd expect them to test just like the schiit brand does, or any popular brand. Badly....
I mean, even the chord products that audiophiles rave about has just average performance.

So don't think astell overpriced brand remotely corresponds with performance in anyway.

tential

headwhacker

Forum Donor
No idea why you think astell and kern would test well.

It most likely tests badly. Companies with good brand recognition have no incentive to make sure tested specs work. That's the domain of unknown companies where they can't sell on brand alone.
I'd expect them to test just like the schiit brand does, or any popular brand. Badly....
I mean, even the chord products that audiophiles rave about has just average performance.

So don't think astell overpriced brand remotely corresponds with performance in anyway.

There is a premium feel holding an AK DAP. A few existing AK DAPs measures ok. They are probably transparent enough for on the go use.

Compared to cheaper DAPs the build quality gives an illusion which not only justify the asking price but expected superior sound as well.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think a decent smart phone is quite sufficient. I wish I had a pound for every time I've heard someone complain that they've gone out and bought an external DAC/amp based on the usual florid prose used by magazine reviewers, promises of night and day difference etc only to find it sounds just the same as their phone output. The one issue many cell phones do suffer from is limited output, so if you have hard to drive, inefficient speakers or listen at ear bleeding volumes then an external amp might be necessary but the output of many DAPs isn't that high either.
Another alternative I'd recommend is that if you are really wanting this for air and rail travel you could consider pairing a smart phone or tablet to some nice noise cancelling headphones like the Bose QC35II or Sony 1000XM3, that is approaching it from a very different angle but would probably give you a bigger audio gain than concentrating on a DAP if you want it for travelling in noisy environments. I use passive Etymotic ER4 SR IEMs in preference to noise cancelling headphones, their noise isolation is outstanding and they have a superbly accurate and neutral sound but the fit is not for everyone.

eeeper

First post. I am on old USA mid west guy at 59 who was a sound engineer in the analog world. I currently keep active in both the digital and analog world. At my farm I use Klipsch Belles and custom built KT88 tube power amp with Conrad Johnson PV12B tube preamp for playing vinyl on a VPI Classic 1 with Soundsmith cartridge. I use older MSB Link III and Channel Islands DACs and plan on buying a Topping D70 based upon the forum discussion.

I do travel quite frequently and my portable music quality is not so good. I bought the AP 80 just to get my feet wet and take my J River stored FLAC files at 16 / 44 on the road with me. I do plan on ripping my vinyl to 24 / 88 in the future.

Thanks to all who post this is a very good forum.

I would like a larger DAP with longer battery life for long distance plane and train travel. Is it time to move on from the AP 80?

Regards;

Rick

I have the AP80 also, usually have it plugged in to a charger for long drive or an external battery pack. If I have it connected to a laptop using it as an external dac the laptop charges it for me. Most of my music is ripped from CD's at 16/48khz or bought from HDTracks.com at 24/96 if I can get it. Even my 320kb mp3's sound pretty good. I have multiple IEM and headphones, it pairs well with the Hidizs MS4 IEM or FIIO FH9, loves my HIFiman 4xx.

tential

I have the AP80 also, usually have it plugged in to a charger for long drive or an external battery pack. If I have it connected to a laptop using it as an external dac the laptop charges it for me. Most of my music is ripped from CD's at 16/48khz or bought from HDTracks.com at 24/96 if I can get it. Even my 320kb mp3's sound pretty good. I have multiple IEM and headphones, it pairs well with the Hidizs MS4 IEM or FIIO FH9, loves my HIFiman 4xx.
You're better off using an external. Battery than a new dap as this user points out.

I always carry an external battery now to charge my phone or music player.

Top Bottom