• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any opinions on HD-25?

KaiserSoze

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sennheiser USA currently has the HD-25 on sale for $100. I'm a Sennheiser guy from the mid-70s, HD-414, HD-424, HD-580, and a few less memorable models along the way. But I have no experience with this "DJ" headphone, and wasn't even aware of it until I saw the promotional ad somewhere. Apparently the near-indestructibility is part of the appeal. But that won't matter to me if they don't sound good, and all of the Sennheiser phones I've like have had open or at least vented back. (The HD414 and HD424 had those cups that housed the drivers but the cups were well-ventilated.) So I might not like the HD-25. Anyway, if anyone here has any experience with them and has an opinion I will appreciate it if you'll share.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Sennheiser USA currently has the HD-25 on sale for $100. I'm a Sennheiser guy from the mid-70s, HD-414, HD-424, HD-580, and a few less memorable models along the way. But I have no experience with this "DJ" headphone, and wasn't even aware of it until I saw the promotional ad somewhere. Apparently the near-indestructibility is part of the appeal. But that won't matter to me if they don't sound good, and all of the Sennheiser phones I've like have had open or at least vented back. (The HD414 and HD424 had those cups that housed the drivers but the cups were well-ventilated.) So I might not like the HD-25. Anyway, if anyone here has any experience with them and has an opinion I will appreciate it if you'll share.
Go for HD 598. Most comfortable headphone ever owned. I also own 650. Prefer 598. My first headphone was the 414.

OP
KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze

Go for HD 598. Most comfortable headphone ever owned. I also own 650. Prefer 598. My first headphone was the 414.

Thanks for the recommendation. The HD 598 costs 2.5 x as much, and it isn't at all the same kind of headphone!

And for the record, I once owned a pair of 598, probably about fifteen years ago. They sounded pretty sweet, but personally I thought they were lacking bass. I recall being surprised by that, and when looking in through the screen covering the driver, I saw a small driver pushed over to one side and partly covered over by a plastic plate. I thought was very bizarre. I would recommend the HD598 only with the caveat that the buying listens exclusively to classical music and doesn't care about the bass. In any case, it obviously isn't at all the same category of headphone as the HD-25. But thanks just the same.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know HD-25 as DJ headphones only, not confortable but good for DJing. Wouldn't wear them for more than 30 min.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD25 are great if you need small well isolating headphones when monitoring for what the mic picks up that stay on the head no matter what you are doing while pressing hard on your Pinnae !
It even sounds 'hefty' with rock music.
Wouldn't recommend it for hi-fi enjoyment. Sennheiser sells it for professional usage and not in the hifi section for good reason.

OP
KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze

I know HD-25 as DJ headphones only, not confortable but good for DJing. Wouldn't wear them for more than 30 min.

Thank you. This is useful information. One of my concerns is that they wouldn't be comfortable. At this point I'm thinking that they probably aren't worth $100.

OP
KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze

HD25 are great if you need small well isolating headphones when monitoring for what the mic picks up that stay on the head no matter what you are doing while pressing hard on your Pinnae !
It even sounds 'hefty' with rock music.
Wouldn't recommend it for hi-fi enjoyment. Sennheiser sells it for professional usage and not in the hifi section for good reason.

Thank you.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. This is useful information. One of my concerns is that they wouldn't be comfortable. At this point I'm thinking that they probably aren't worth $100.

If you wanted a portable headphone to wear on the go and didn't like IEMs then they would be a decent choice. Sennheiser has been selling prettier looking consumer versions of them for the last several years as well. If you want to block out fan noise at your desk or something then the HD 569 would be much more comfortable.

OP
KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze

It has become apparent that I need to be more careful in explaining what information it is I'm asking for. I'm not asking for general advice about headphones, or recommendations for trying other headphones that aren't much like the HD-25 or that cost two or three times as much. I'm asking for opinions about this particular headphone, the HD-25, from people who've actually used them and who can say something meaningful about the sound quality, the comfort, etc. For example if you've used them and they sounded like crap to you because the bass was exaggerated and muddy, this would be useful information. Or if you've used them and know of some other similar, light, portable, over-the-ear headphone that you believe sounds better and costs about the same (or less), this as well will be useful information to me.

Thank you.

xavier

I have the HD-25 II and quite like them for just listening to music. Not using them professionally in any way. To compare with another product, I have the RS185 from Sennheiser also. They are very different categories obviously, but to compare the HD25s work well for me because the side of my ears don't touch the ear pads constantly like on the RS185 and maybe other medium sized over-ear designs, and the HD25 being closed back vs. open back (RS185) aside from potential drawbacks means the bass is present, only slightly over emphasized for me to be honest. Also, the clamping force gives passive noise isolation which for others may be uncomfortable, but I don't mind it. The comfort with different models will depend on your head size, ear shape and size, etc...

Ultimately I really like the sound, and could do a lot worse I think. Maybe I'm just used to it now. Having said that I am currently looking for ones that are wireless and have a decent non-boom microphone which is very limited. This because I'm tired of having wired ones and am looking to experiment with new models. I wish the HD25 had an input jack, as I could at least easily connect a bluetooth amp to them. You can do this with HD25 but you'd have to cut the wire to keep it short, and potentially glue.

They have been useful when on Zoom calls recently, in big groups, I can much more easily hear what everyone is saying compared to my mono headset, so in that aspect of being a monitoring headphone I suppose that can be a positive.

Another thing, I've had them for like 8 years and feel they could last forever. An open back AKG model I had aged much more quickly, but your mileage may vary.

Archsam

My HD-25 II are living in a box now. They sound good, nice quality bass. But the clamping force is high and the split headband didn't help with comfort. I didn't use them much before I moved on to other headphones.

I'm listening to a pair of Audeze LCD-X as I type this; They are 600g of solid metal, some of the heaviest headphone you can wear, and I find them comfortable. That gives you an idea on the relative (dis)comfort of the HD-25, to my head anyway.

OP
KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze

I have the HD-25 II and quite like them for just listening to music. Not using them professionally in any way. To compare with another product, I have the RS185 from Sennheiser also. They are very different categories obviously, but to compare the HD25s work well for me because the side of my ears don't touch the ear pads constantly like on the RS185 and maybe other medium sized over-ear designs, and the HD25 being closed back vs. open back (RS185) aside from potential drawbacks means the bass is present, only slightly over emphasized for me to be honest. Also, the clamping force gives passive noise isolation which for others may be uncomfortable, but I don't mind it. The comfort with different models will depend on your head size, ear shape and size, etc...

Ultimately I really like the sound, and could do a lot worse I think. Maybe I'm just used to it now. Having said that I am currently looking for ones that are wireless and have a decent non-boom microphone which is very limited. This because I'm tired of having wired ones and am looking to experiment with new models. I wish the HD25 had an input jack, as I could at least easily connect a bluetooth amp to them. You can do this with HD25 but you'd have to cut the wire to keep it short, and potentially glue.

They have been useful when on Zoom calls recently, in big groups, I can much more easily hear what everyone is saying compared to my mono headset, so in that aspect of being a monitoring headphone I suppose that can be a positive.

Another thing, I've had them for like 8 years and feel they could last forever. An open back AKG model I had aged much more quickly, but your mileage may vary.

Thank you.

OP
KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze

My HD-25 II are living in a box now. They sound good, nice quality bass. But the clamping force is high and the split headband didn't help with comfort. I didn't use them much before I moved on to other headphones.

I'm listening to a pair of Audeze LCD-X as I type this; They are 600g of solid metal, some of the heaviest headphone you can wear, and I find them comfortable. That gives you an idea on the relative (dis)comfort of the HD-25, to my head anyway.

Thanks. There seems to be a consensus that the HD-25 is not very comfortable. The sound quality must be middle-of-the-road, because no one has complained but neither had anyone said they sound good.

SADongre

I spent 10 years with the HD-25 SP, then upgraded to the 25-II mk. 2, which I used until v recently for around 10 years.

The latter, are consistent with with your source though this and their passive noise reduction, may conspire against you based upon ergonomics and your own use case.

I'd wear them daily, for >5 hours, for making field recordings, listening to music and live monitoring. I found them clear, consistent and more than adequate for isolation from external noise, (would just about hear articulated lorries pass on the road when walking). After a few hours, I'd have to rotate the ear cup, otherwise the compressed foam would begin to feel uncomfortable, but this action would suffice to alleviate the discomfort for another few hours, (I do have small external ears, but they still contact my pinnae). Due to the availability of replaceable parts and the longevity of the components, these headphones are super-sustainable too. I only replaced them with a pair of Shure IEMs as the larger headphones became incompatible with my work environment.

doctorjuggles

I already own two pairs and I’m seriously considering asking your price for these :facepalm:
There are no better DJing cans. Fantastic for their purpose and having tried to use several others I won’t be switching from them anytime soon (for DJing specifically of course - I have other for normal listening)

Top Bottom