• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any open back, over ear, wireless headphones?

tsanguine

Forum Donor
I'm not a huge fan of IEM's and I want to both allow my ears to breath a bit and be able to hear if someone is trying to get my attention. I plan to just use Spotify with Wavelet to EQ to Harman. I'd use these at work which can make my ears get really hot and sweaty. I'll first worry about if they exist before bothering about sound profile or anything.

OP
tsanguine

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Have you considered a wireless receiver, like a Qudelix 5K instead? Then you'll have many more options.
I have one and love it. It might be my all time favorite and most versatile piece of audio equipment. I may even try to mod a pair of headphones to mount it on a pair. I also have had the EarStudio es100. I'm frequently fighting with wires and up and down a lot so if I can avoid dealing with the wire on a pair of headphones it would be optimal.

OP
tsanguine

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Does that include earbuds ?
Yes. Not a huge fan of things in my ears and generally they aren't open back so I can hear my surroundings. I know some do an audio passthrough with mics but my limited exposure hasn't been that great an experience.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Does that include earbuds ?
Aurvana Air (Creative and wired) are still my favourite but sound quality really depends of inserting them adequate and its not neither easy or straightforward. Luckily those pretty much stay as placed but they aren't exactly for active sports.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes. Not a huge fan of things in my ears and generally they aren't open back so I can hear my surroundings.

Noted. I'm asking this question as one of of my favourite "open" headphones lately have been the Airpods 3 (which are not your typical earbuds given the design and the feedback mechanism), particularly after a bit of EQ past 5kHz (unfortunately blind as available measurements have been useless to me so far). Could have been an interesting option to explore if you could tolerate them for longer sessions (and they don't isolate much).

OP
tsanguine

tsanguine

Forum Donor
There's these grado ones too.
Some measurments here.
Edit: not over ear though
This has been the most likely one for me to get. Every time I get close to buying it I remind myself of all of the Grado's (6 pairs) I've ever had and how uncomfortable they feel for me. This one doesn't use the same pad either so I'd be stuck with stock. I may still get them. I haven't decided. I really miss the enveloping sound of Grado but haven't been happy with the comfort for a long time.

OP
tsanguine

tsanguine

Forum Donor

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is something about this idea that appeals to be even if it isn't very realistic.
I can personally attest to the Utws3s successfully powering a pair of Focal Clear MGs. I wouldn't try it with anything much less sensitive though (the Utw5s might give you a little bit more power).

OP
tsanguine

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Thanks. I wasn't aware of these. I've never paid much attention to Hifiman after briefly owning a pair of HE4XX. I didn't like the comfort of them and got rid of them after a couple weeks. I prefer the elongated cups like this Ananda and round pads like the HE4XX don't seem to work on my head.

Top Bottom