• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Or a Harley rider using both lanes on the curves fresh from the last biker bar at closing time.

TSCC was the word back then and was quite impressive compared to the GS650G I was coming from. Linear power delivery from modern engines is so much safer.....
I was used to peaky 2 stroke rides so when I got to the street the powerband was not so radical. It was actually kinda tame. My Kawi GPZ had a midrange powerband that hit but it was very manageable. Not like todays rides. It was a pussycat compared to stuff today. In it's day the engine was called the hammer because it was simple and tough. I rode that puppy till the oil blew out the crank case breather tube and then I just filled it up and off I go again. 1200 km/day was a good ride and I always took a extra quart of oil to top 'er up and a can of chain lube.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Rider in years past. Stopped due to getting old enough things don't heal so well anymore, and the ubiquitous cell phone in the hands of automobile drivers.
This!! Too many near misses by inattentive drivers, exacerbated (as Blumlein 88 says) by texting!

I have owned Ducati, Norton, Honda, Bimota, Yamaha and BMW, the Bimmers being my long term favorite. Many thousands of miles on BMWs.

Now, at 80, I still miss going for a ride - but here in the Orlando metro area, my reflexes simply cannot keep up with the cage drivers.

Last edited:

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I was used to peaky 2 stroke rides so when I got to the street the powerband was not so radical. It was actually kinda tame. My Kawi GPZ had a midrange powerband that hit but it was very manageable. Not like todays rides. It was a pussycat compared to stuff today. In it's day the engine was called the hammer because it was simple and tough. I rode that puppy till the oil blew out the crank case breather tube and then I just filled it up and off I go again. 1200 km/day was a good ride and I always took a extra quart of oil to top 'er up and a can of chain lube.
I had the R1150GSA for 8.5 years before trading up to the 2018 Goldwing - new version. I had done some things to the 1150 engine that made it even more torquey at lower revs. With the true 6 speed - no overdrive - it was a real pleasure to ride. Not a lot of shifting - stay above 2000 before upshifting and everything worked fine. I test road a 2014 R1200RT water cooled engine in 2017 thinking I would like the newer more powerful ride. I actually stalled it on the test ride. Then I figured out you had to keep revs above 3500 then the extra power was obvious. Did not like it and did not buy. The 1833 flat six engine on the new wing surpasses my old GSA in every way. Over 100 foot pounds of torque on tap above 1200 RPM. It will rev - if you call 6500 red line revving. Low RPM's it simply "moves" with authority. Get it between 3000-5000 and it "flies". Possibly my last bike.....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the R1150GSA for 8.5 years before trading up to the 2018 Goldwing - new version. I had done some things to the 1150 engine that made it even more torquey at lower revs. With the true 6 speed - no overdrive - it was a real pleasure to ride. Not a lot of shifting - stay above 2000 before upshifting and everything worked fine. I test road a 2014 R1200RT water cooled engine in 2017 thinking I would like the newer more powerful ride. I actually stalled it on the test ride. Then I figured out you had to keep revs above 3500 then the extra power was obvious. Did not like it and did not buy. The 1833 flat six engine on the new wing surpasses my old GSA in every way. Over 100 foot pounds of torque on tap above 1200 RPM. It will rev - if you call 6500 red line revving. Low RPM's it simply "moves" with authority. Get it between 3000-5000 and it "flies". Possibly my last bike.....
Yeah, the Goldwing is a masterpiece. I really like them. Any of them after they put on the big rear tire and got over 1500cc is good I think. I like the big rear tire series because one can go to the Dark Side and put on a car tire.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
This!! Too many near misses by inattentive drivers, exacerbated (as Blumlein 88 says) by texting!

I have owned Ducati, Norton, Honda, Bimota, Yamaha and BMW, the Bimmers being my long term favorite. Many thousands of miles on BMWs.

Now, at 80, I still miss going for a ride - but here in the Orlando metro area, my reflexes simply cannot keep up with the cage drivers.
Think Can Am Spyder RT. Much more visible and attention getting for the morons driving cages around here.
Bob from Central Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Yeah, the Goldwing is a masterpiece. I really like them. Any of them after they put on the big rear tire and got over 1500cc is good I think. I like the big rear tire series because one can go to the Dark Side and put on a car tire.
Not sure about "Darksiding it", although I see folks on the Goldwing forums promoting the idea. Rear on the new wings are 16 inch 200 profile - pretty big tire for a motorcycle.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure about "Darksiding it", although I see folks on the Goldwing forums promoting the idea. Rear on the new wings are 16 inch 200 profile - pretty big tire for a motorcycle.
I read that cracks in the pavement and the thick lines and stuff doesn't affect a darksiding rider. The bike just rolls over them and no wobble or anything. Plus of course one can get 2-3 times the mileage or maybe even better from car tire when out touring. :D

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A buddy has a Kawi 650 sport bike and his buddies all ride 750's and liter+ sport bikes and he complains they wheelie past him at like 200 Km/h (125 mph) That's awesome if you have the cohoonies. I've never seen a ride that can wheelie at that speed. maybe a Hyabusa or a big kawi.
Busa's too heavy-it just pulls hard.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
When I returned to the States to go to school (FSU in 1995), I bought a Ducati Diana Mk III 250 cc single. It came with two exhaust systems: a regular muffler that produced no HP but put-putted around. Then, a tuned megaphone... off the pipe, it was a turd; on the pipe, stupid strong. Insane power for a 250 cc scoot!

To this day, I regret trading it for a Norton Atlas - that I also loved, even though it required safety wiring on every fastener not to fall apart! It won the C-gas bike drag races in Tucson, Arizona in 1968! Probably 65 hp at the time... on a good day :D.

Then the Japanese came along... death knell!

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I read that cracks in the pavement and the thick lines and stuff doesn't affect a darksiding rider. The bike just rolls over them and no wobble or anything. Plus of course one can get 2-3 times the mileage or maybe even better from car tire when out touring. :D
I can see extended milage on the car tire. Handling wise the stock tires handle road snakes and cracks quite well. Modern motorcycle tires have dual tire compound. Center tread is harder and longer wearing. The sides are softer and stickier for improved traction while leaning. Not sure what a squarer profile will do to the handling. I don't miss the Continentals from the early 1980's that slid whether you wanted to or not.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't miss the Continentals from the early 1980's that slid whether you wanted to or not.
The 1980's Pirelli sport tires that I put on one ride where horrible in the rain. I just lightly touched the brakes and wham a bike flipped out from underneath me due to the rolling ruts in the road from heavy trucks and the slippery tires. The shop that put them on warned me they where not good in the rain. I ended up sliding under the back end of a stationery Dodge Dart and had a deep black bruise from my hip to my ankle. Broken blood vessel. I'm lucky I never bled to death. That one hurt, a lot. I was hobbled for maybe 6 weeks but the bruise lasted much longer. The doctor just shook his head and said you are very lucky. That made the broken collarbone when dirt bike riding a cakewalk in comparison and that hurt so much that I vomited a little with my helmet still on. I must give credit to the Metzelers that I put on another ride. They where ace for everything and cornered really good too. Expensive but good. Oh the joys of riding... :D

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
The 1980's Pirelli sport tires that I put on one ride where horrible in the rain. I just lightly touched the brakes and wham a bike flipped out from underneath me due to the rolling ruts in the road from heavy trucks and the slippery tires. Oh the joys of riding... :D
You are lucky!

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
My three bikes and a buddy out for a ride with me riding one of the KLRs.

Attachments

• 67797050-12A8-4A96-9D2F-7A5CB0DC720C.jpeg
    67797050-12A8-4A96-9D2F-7A5CB0DC720C.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 290ED7FA-ACC3-410A-89C3-47FDBC316AEA.jpeg
    290ED7FA-ACC3-410A-89C3-47FDBC316AEA.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 75

steve59

Major Contributor
My 2016 sdr is getting up there in miles

Attachments

• 20220305_140549.jpg
    20220305_140549.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 45

MRC01

Major Contributor
Just a few weeks ago, a friend of mine was hit by a car (from behind, not his fault, nothing he could have done) while motorcycling. He was an experienced, skilled rider who wore all the gear from helmet to boots, to spinal pad etc. Broke his spinal cord, he's now a paraplegic learning how to take care of himself. He's not the first I've lost or seen seriously injured or maimed by this hobby.

You guys all be careful out there! Ride like you're invisible and everyone's trying to kill you.

steve59

Major Contributor
Since texting became so popular we are Invisible

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So true. I have a near miss about every other time I ride.

Attachments

• 20210926_122301.jpg
    20210926_122301.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 41

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You guys all be careful out there! Ride like you're invisible and everyone's trying to kill you.
I've lost 2 friends hit by cars, one while walking down the street, the other while riding a bicycle.
Why always the stories?

That's the danger we accept for riding.
Or just walking out the front door.

drplinker

I own KTM Super Duke 1290 (2018), rode it daily to work, however, haven't been riding much due to WFH and 2yr old kid.

Top Bottom