• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

ayane

Forum Donor
Just curious. I don't believe I've ever run into motorcycle fanatics on audio forums, haha!

Personally, I am a huge fan of motorcycles, especially the Electric variety. I haven't ever owned one, but I have ridden a 2013 Honda CBR500R a little bit a couple of years ago and I'm in the process of purchasing a secondhand Zero SR right now. My dream bike is an Energica Ego... Maybe when I finish grad school :D

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Electric bikes are certainly appealing for the stealth factor. Nothing says "I'm speeding" like a screaming sport bike approaching. However I do love the screaming symphony of thrashing metal. Their not great for retaining hearing though, the wind noise in particular is savage.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ex biker only. Had a Yamaha SR500 for three years as a student, with 2 great trips to southern Norway. However driving the bike through winter twice I got sick so often I sold it. To compensate for the missing danger I went into rock climbing in summer and ski mountaineering in winter.:facepalm:

An electric bike is tempting but I'm out of training for too long and the reflexes are probably gone...

TimF

Forum Donor
I ride and have owned a number of bikes over the years. I'm old now and have stepped down to a slow and 'safer', easier to handle bike for occasional rides, a late model Honda Rebel 500. It feels like and rides like a 1970 Triumph 500 I once owned. It's got about zero cachet but it goes and stops and doesn't overwhelm me. Like I said, I'm old.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Old9595390295Roadie1.jpgmoney1.jpg

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Rider in years past. Stopped due to getting old enough things don't heal so well anymore, and the ubiquitous cell phone in the hands of automobile drivers. Dirt bike riding is viable except somehow riders get banged up even more often on those.

Still have an old Honda 750 Four which I need to spruce up and sale.

I'd really like an electric bike, though they seem over-priced so far.

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Had a 30+ year love affair with sport bike riding but Canada's "street racing" legislation refocussed my energy towards mountain biking, while the knees hold out :)

You'll love the bike! Get a good rain suit or Aerostich. Critical lesson I learned from a mag years ago but rarely hear discussed: when approaching an intersection and a car is waiting to turn left in front of you, change your lane position from left car tire track to right car tire track. It gives you a bit more reaction time, but much more importantly, the lateral movement makes you much more visible to the opposing car. Cars turn left into motorcyclists because the lack of lateral motion or obvious change in size when approaching makes us hard to see.

I still have a shed and garage full of vintage Gpz race bike stuff, maybe some day (LOL, I've been saying that for years)

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Road King 1994, purchased new. Still insure it but only take out on a couple of sunny Sunday afternoons. Being riding as long as I’ve been an AI, over 40 year.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Had a 30+ year love affair with sport bike riding but Canada's "street racing" legislation refocussed my energy towards mountain biking, while the knees hold out :)

You'll love the bike! Get a good rain suit or Aerostich. Critical lesson I learned from a mag years ago but rarely hear discussed: when approaching an intersection and a car is waiting to turn left in front of you, change your lane position from left car tire track to right car tire track. It gives you a bit more reaction time, but much more importantly, the lateral movement makes you much more visible to the opposing car. Cars turn left into motorcyclists because the lack of lateral motion or obvious change in size when approaching makes us hard to see.

I still have a shed and garage full of vintage Gpz race bike stuff, maybe some day (LOL, I've been saying that for years)
Oh yes, do learn this. Car turning in front of a motorcycle is one of the most common (I think most common) motor cycle accidents. Also worth getting one of those lights that slowly brighten and dim to make you more visible. In the USA only legal for motorcycles. I wanted on on my Miata I was overlooked so often, but found they weren't legal for cars.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Have been riding motorbikes for many, many years. Also for daily transport.
Sold my bike a few years ago though.
Never was a fanatic though.
Mostly been driving 400 to 550 CC bikes over the years.

tjkadar

Been riding motorcycles in one form or another for 48 years. Used to roadrace back in the early 90's. Last street bike I had was a 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono. Sold it a couple years ago. All I have left is a 2016 Sherco 300 trials bike.

My Dad, who turned 80 last week, still rides his Yamaha V-Star.

Jimshoe

Been riding 13 years, currently on a BMW K1300GT

Lumpy

R90T Scrambler but would love a Cake! Been looking at Zero before as well but living in a flat doesn't help with electric bikes, have investigated all options to get something installed and no luck. Cake has a removable battery but might not be ideal to take it out every other day. Zero sell the FXS with split removable batteries in US but don't bring them to Europe (did a few years ago) as they don't have enough market (more expensive option).

Top Bottom