• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

MRC01

Major Contributor
... The way the triple develops power is kind of in between a twin and a big four. ...
My old Honda Magna VF750 was like that. I always wondered what was the point of tuning the VFR750 for "street" riding when they just restricted it anyway, to get the worst of both worlds: all the low RPM weakness of a sport bike but without the strong top end. Rejetting the carbs eliminated the midrange flat spot, lean-surging & anemic low end torque. Peak torque at 7000 RPM only increased a smidge, but after rejetting it made 90% of peak torque at 2500 RPM with a smooth linear curve. It really transformed the bike, much more part-throttle squirt and fun, making it run the way the engineers intended.

By rejetting I mean main jets 1 size bigger, 2 extra shims on each needle and the pilots opened up. After adding the Vance & Hines exhaust and Dyna ignition, it needed another +1 to the mains and +1 more shim.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I prefer low end torque over top end horsepower plus smooth off idle throttle. They don't always come that way stock. I spent quite a bit of effort when I had my R1150GSA to get that engine "right".

MRC01

Major Contributor
I prefer low end torque over top end horsepower plus smooth off idle throttle. They don't always come that way stock. I spent quite a bit of effort when I had my R1150GSA to get that engine "right".
That's understandable, as it's where we spend most of our time street riding.
After riding 2 opposite extremes on this (a GSXR750 and a HD Fat Boy), I wanted something with both low end torque and top end power, or at least a compromise with a little of each. That's what led to the Magna, which I enjoyed riding for more than 10 years.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
That's understandable, as it's where we spend most of our time street riding.
After riding 2 opposite extremes on this (a GSXR750 and a HD Fat Boy), I wanted something with both low end torque and top end power, or at least a compromise with a little of each. That's what led to the Magna, which I enjoyed riding for more than 10 years.
That is a good engine in the Magna! I am presently on a 2018 Goldwing with the DCT and it is a torque monster. Sport mode is pretty cool but you have to watch it a low speeds as the throttle is very abrupt in that mode.

MRC01

Major Contributor
That is a good engine in the Magna! I am presently on a 2018 Goldwing with the DCT and it is a torque monster. Sport mode is pretty cool but you have to watch it a low speeds as the throttle is very abrupt in that mode.
Does the Goldwing use the horizontally opposed 6-cylinder that used to be in the Valkyrie? That's a car engine! ;)

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Does the Goldwing use the horizontally opposed 6-cylinder that used to be in the Valkyrie? That's a car engine! ;)
1833 CC flat six - not the same engine - total redesign for 2018. Four valves per cylinder now with the Unicam head. Nice power plant with an exceptional low center of gravity. Honda knows how to hide the weight!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Rode bikes for over a half a century but I never wanted hear some story about someone who knows someone who rides a bike and who was involved in a 'rubber-side-not-down' scenario.
I hate that. I usually shut them up mid story with a comment like "if your scared, go to church instead" and then growl. :mad: LOL
What makes people think we want to hear that schitt?
No one has more first hand knowledge that street riding is very dangerous than me. I've been riding 50+ years, seen and heard it all. My last gig was for the largest H-D dealer in the midwest, and we were the recommended repair shop for a number of the large insurance company's. I watched the wrecks come in on the tow-trucks constantly, some of them belonging to very good friends and customers, plus cleaned the body fluids off the wreck..
If your one of those story tellers, please STF up.
We have no interest in your "war stories".
I'll quit riding immediately after the priest finishes giving me my Last Rites, I promise.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Absolutely. Not quite at the 50 year mark myself but 40+ years riding. Most every day as I don't have a car and including dispatch work for several years in my late teens. When someone starts bleating on about the dangers of motorcycles I point out that I know several people who have died in car accidents and none on bikes. People seem to ignore the amount of carnage on the roads yearly involving cars only.

steve59

Major Contributor
Chr1, I feel your pain having the sdr stolen. I had the 20⁸13 speed triple se, loved the 2 tone matte blue but it was so underpowered I traded it quickly for a 2015 ktm sdr and am on my 3rd now.

Attachments

• 20220822_173904.jpg
    20220822_173904.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 34

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Got my first motocross bike for my 8th birthday and raced them quite competitively throughout the uk and Europe so perfectly at home being on a bike, when I turned 17 Kawasaki uk offered me their latest road going pocket rocket KR1s 250cc 2-stroke so I took it and ran about for a few months but the stupidity of car drivers really put me off driving on the roads, had one too many close calls despite being aware that every driver on the road was out to kill me. Shame as the bike was an absolute hoot to run about on and stan stephens tuned (he did my kx 125cc/250cc engines) so could hit 150mph on the track, had uprated ohlins shock and fork internals which vastly improved the handling but there was still frame flex which was problematic if you turned in too quick or hit road camber so a steering damper was an essential mod - needed piston rings every 1500miles or so and the nickel liners were problematic, apart from that it was an absolute screamer, hilarious to ride and the smell of putoline race oil was intoxicating o_O I kept it for a couple of years but rarely took it out on the roads as I much preferred taking it to the track. I’ll see if my mum can dig out the pics of it.

Last edited:

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
What makes people think we want to hear that schitt?
Pretty sure it's 99% jealousy because they themselves are too scared to ride, or their significant other is too scared to let them ride. It looks fun, but it scares them, and that's all they can think about, so that's all they want to talk about. It's just self justification driven by jealousy. I get the same shit when I go deep into the woods to camp/canoe/hike where there are bears or other preditors. All some people want to ask or talk about are the things that scare them from doing something that otherwise looks fun. Just pick any hobby that's fun, but that has any risk in it at all, and you'll always get the exact same response from the chicken schitts.

steve59

Major Contributor
Damn your rough on your gear :eek:
;)
I totaled the 2015 in Wisconsin when some underage kids on atv's popped out behind a row of hedges otherwise 33k in 5 years on my 2016, but emission restrictions are getting tougher and this one should be my last....unless I sell my truck and buy the v4s streetfighter.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Pretty sure it's 99% jealousy because they themselves are too scared to ride, or their significant other is too scared to let them ride. It looks fun, but it scares them, and that's all they can think about, so that's all they want to talk about. It's just self justification driven by jealousy. I get the same shit when I go deep into the woods to camp/canoe/hike where there are bears or other preditors. All some people want to ask or talk about are the things that scare them from doing something that otherwise looks fun. Just pick any hobby that's fun, but that has any risk in it at all, and you'll always get the exact same response from the chicken schitts.
Candy Asses trying to justify their own personal decisions. Perfectly safe behavior all the time is very stressful. Motorcycling allows me to focus on the moment and let go of stress. Best to avail yourself of opportunities as you could be walking down the street and a piano fall on your head.:eek:

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Just curious. I don't believe I've ever run into motorcycle fanatics on audio forums, haha!

Personally, I am a huge fan of motorcycles, especially the Electric variety. I haven't ever owned one, but I have ridden a 2013 Honda CBR500R a little bit a couple of years ago and I'm in the process of purchasing a secondhand Zero SR right now. My dream bike is an Energica Ego... Maybe when I finish grad school :D
BMW GS guy here. And a Honda NC700X for errands.
What an odd conglomeration: classical music, pianist, ex-pilot, engineer, motorcycle tourer.
I'm past my sell-buy date for kickboxing.)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... I watched the wrecks come in on the tow-trucks constantly, some of them belonging to very good friends and customers, plus cleaned the body fluids off the wreck..
If your one of those story tellers, please STF up.
STF!:eek:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
202209_IronButt.gif
LOL! I've come close to qualifying for some of their iButt-Certs... but "Close only counts in horseshoes, hand-grenades, and a-bombs"!
I even survived one ride from Denver to Panama Canal (4k mile rally) , but return trip for my K75S became a total loss for some insurance company after major ship-back snafus.
I'll STF now!

Top Bottom