• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oy, I missed this news :
Motorcycle Sales Boom Falters - Sales decline for first time more than year (3rd August, 2022) The motorcycle sales boom that happened in the wake of the first pandemic lockdown appears to be over… Sales of motorcycles, scooters and ATVs in Australia dropped by more than 10% in the first quarter… This follows a record 13.4% increase last year, mainly led by off-road motorcycle sales…
He gave no reason for the drop this year, but says bikes and scooters are the answer in times of rising fuel prices…
From <https://motorbikewriter.com/motorcycle-sales-boom-falters/>
@Sal1950 was right... until 2022!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Somafunk

Major Contributor
They'll take their bike to it's absolute very limits at 150mph but find the little old ladies in a cage more scary.

Yep, I much preferred going round and round in circles on a track. Much easier to crash on a moto track/closed circuit without death chasing you down the tarmac.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After my last "STF", one of the EMTs told me something that I was not able to refute.
"Riding alone is suicide... we only ride in groups anymore!!"
I don't do well riding in groups, so I was forced to take door#3!:(

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer to ride alone. I can go as fast as I want without worrying about someone getting left way behind.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
"Riding alone is suicide... we only ride in groups anymore!!"
I disagree, fairly strongly. We're not swimmers and you can't save me from drowning.
I prefer to ride alone. I can go as fast as I want without worrying about someone getting left way behind.
Same here, I set my own pace, pretty dang fast normally and don't have to be concerned about anyone else getting lost or riding into me.
I make my own line thru traffic etc. I always made a rule with fellow riders, ALWAY's stay on the same side of me. If we start off with you on my right, stay on my right. If you have a need to change position like for a turn or exit, pass me then change position out in front of me so I know what you've done and where your at-going.
Riding in group is chaotic and most often someone, maybe all of us, have a level of buzz on. o_O

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I disagree, fairly strongly. We're not swimmers and you can't save me from drowning.

Same here, I set my own pace, pretty dang fast normally and don't have to be concerned about anyone else getting lost or riding into me.
I make my own line thru traffic etc. I always made a rule with fellow riders, ALWAY's stay on the same side of me. If we start off with you on my right, stay on my right. If you have a need to change position like for a turn or exit, pass me then change position out in front of me so I know what you've done and where your at-going.
Riding in group is chaotic and most often someone, maybe all of us, have a level of buzz on. o_O
Sal, you are 100% correct. I couldn't handle doing group rides with younger guys (on sport bikes) who drove all over. They pass you, then they are next to you, behind you and all over the place. This made it so I had to triple check any moves I made which were rare. Even on my own sport bike, they can come up on you going 40 mph faster than what your doing and seem to come out of nowhere! But in the end, most of them paid the price. Our ride leader died when a BMW pulled out in front of him (instant broken neck and death) others went off the road on corners (cornering way too fast). I saw a guy go off a corner and off his bike and his body missed a telephone pole by about 2 feet. That was close to him being killed or injured for life. Plus all the "almost" accidents where the front of the group was stopping at an intersection and the back riders were going hell bent for leather and couldn't stop and luckily missed the stopped riders by inches. I finally stopped riding with them. The entire group was the worst of riders. Everything to make riders look bad to the public. Bikers are their own worst enemy, they ride like idiots and blame everyone else for the crash!

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I should try to translate what that EMT was trying to tell me, during my STF:
It may not hold true elsewhere but here in SoCal, the numbers of the group make for a larger 'target' than that of a single rider's bleep on the inattentive cagers' radar. You may not relate until someone throws his coffee at you when you are splitting lanes on the I-405.

I wonder what kind of motorcycle detection algorithms have been hashed out and included in the autonomous vehicle codes...:(

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
People that drink alcohol and ride have a much higher taste for risk than I do. I don't use my bike as a bar appliance, like much of the cruiser crowd around here seems to do. I think it's just about the dumbest way to get to the bar and back, but to each their own. I have a zero drink rule for myself and anybody I ride with. Not to say somebody can't drink and ride, I'm just not riding with them, no exceptions.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's just about the dumbest way to get to the bar and back, but to each their own.
Amen... But it may be that @Sal1950 meant he just does a few rips to get his 'bike-buzz' on:facepalm:.
"All in moderation!" said Pappy...
We can only hope that he takes heed of Pappy!

I wonder what the "Top 10 Don'ts and Dos of motorcycling" could be.
DON'T Drink and Ride has got to be at the top of the list somewhere.
DO wear safety/protection gear... ditto!
DON'T ride w/IEMs... imho
?
?
?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I wonder what the "Top 10 Don'ts and Dos of motorcycling" could be.
?
?
?
Don’t be a dick
Don’t go for one more lap
?
?
?
?
?

MRC01

Major Contributor
... I wonder what the "Top 10 Don'ts and Dos of motorcycling" could be.
?
?
?
You're invisible and everyone's trying to kill you: head on a swivel, maintain situational awareness.
Keep your head in the game - don't get distracted, don't ride when angry, tired, etc.
Maintain your bike/machine in top condition, and your own skills.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I wonder what kind of motorcycle detection algorithms have been hashed out and included in the autonomous vehicle codes...:(
That's a scary future to think about, cagers letting computers see and think for them. :(

I don't use my bike as a bar appliance, like much of the cruiser crowd around here seems to do.
That's only thing I'd disagree with. I ride cruiser and sport, with groups from each.
Cruisers are no worse offenders than sporters, each making mostly the same errors in judgement.
Probably some of the worse riding problems that exist today are young riders on 200mph missiles that have no business at all on a machine like that.
Then trying to out-macho each other.
But that's all just life, I'll never point fingers.. If a mistake can be make, I've made them all, many times.
Amen... But it may be that @Sal1950 meant he just does a few rips to get his 'bike-buzz' on:facepalm:.
Your more than generous. More than once I woke up on the pavement with my ride on top, not remembering quite how I got there. o_O
It's some kind of miracle I'm still on this planet.
Maybe that's why I limp and groan the way I do. LOL

Anthony LoFi

MUSIC IEM MOTORCYCLES
Ok we have identified many of the ASR group ride motorcycles.
What Ive been waiting while following this thread for: what are we using for music reproduction inside our helmets.
Note: There may be a argument not to be listening to anything while concentrating on being upright so we can leave that to those that don't.
I don't want any lectures please.

I would like anyone's experiences with IEMs that stay in the right position once the helmet is on, provide great clarity and bass reproduction.
Im not talking about intercoms that are made for helmets. I have tried a few but are generally EQed for voice as they should be because that's their primary function.
Also not talking about car audio retro fitted to motorcycles (sorry HD boys) which I find similar to an ash tray fitted to the handlebars.

I presently use hardwired Shure 215 as the Bluetooth adapter has limited volume.
Apple Airpods due to their stem length extending below the ear canal always fallout after fitting my helmet.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The only sound I want to hear while riding is the wondrous sound of an internal combustion engine.
Much preferably a H-D or Ducati V-twin.

Last edited:

Anthony LoFi

Yep didn't take long .......
I didn't want what usually happens is an opinionated sarcastic comment to a genuine question.
I believe the majority of viewers on ASR don't post due to a minority of contributors that for some reason just have to negatively comment.
I believe Amir wanted to create a "community" of like minded enthusiasts to become enlightened, learn and pass on their experiences for the benefit of all.
But I believe in the freedom of speech so accept the right of another to voice an opinion.

I have learnt so much from this forum over the year I have been visiting this site and have financially contributed to help Amir and the unseen moderators that give up their time
keeping this site active.
I will continue to enjoy all the positive contributors as we are never to old to learn.

dpturner

Forum Donor
Currently in the middle of a 12-day tour on my new (to me) Yamaha FJR. Lots of high speed roads in Idaho. Then today, I get into Montana, and get pulled over for "following too close". Just after two lanes merged into one, with slow pokes leading. Everybody bunched up. Bored cop pulled me over. I charmed my way out of a ticket. Again...

Top Bottom