• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any love for the Beyerdynamic 990 Edition 600 Ohm Headphones ?

KR500

I just received my new ones from amazon yesterday and after playing a CD on repeat for 12 hours gave them a listen.
First impressions are excellent sound and comfortable to wear, the cable might need to be uncoiled for a while, it feels a little different from the cable on my Beyer 880 Edition 250 Ohm model. The treble peak is there but may somewhat diminish over time ?
I didn't see these measured by many folks online.
After reviewing the diyaudioheaven specs for the 990 Edition I adjusted the sound with my Schitt Loki 4 band EQ, I didn't see any other EQ suggestions online after searching.
3db + boost at 20Hz. no boost/cut at 400, a 1.75db boost at 2K and a 5.75 db cut at 8K.
Soundstage is a tad different from the 880's , but still, very similar.
Midrange and treble are very clear and lifelike.
I have no trouble driving these 600 Ohm phones from my CD player, Schitt Magni3 , or my Little Dot Mk2+. Halfway up on the volume control to my typical listening ranges.
I also have the Beyer 770 Pro 250 Ohm phones which replaced my AT M50 (non X )
The 880's replaced my Audio Technica AT-AD 900 phones a year or 2 ago.

garageband

The DT990 is a headphone that will impress you when you unbox it and listen to it for the first time but the more you listen to it, the more you realize that it's an abomination. I still believe to this day that the DT990 was an April Fools day joke by beyerynamic but they were shocked that it sold more units than the DT880, which is just as bad as the DT990 but in a different way. Honestly it's either that or the engineers who designed them were drunk and high on coke.

Noodles

I've had them and i can say - no, just ... no. If you really like the sound of them - there will be the special amp requirement (one with a higher output impedance - not more power).
Furthermore there is no difference between the 600 and 250 ohm as multiple people have already discussed.
They are not bad, but they are very peculiar (very hot treble).
So all in all if you really like their sound, go for the 250 and save yourself some hassle.

OP
KR500

KR500

I have spent the last 10 days with these 990 600 ohm headphones and have to say I love them.
Cutting the treble peak by 6 dB's takes care of that issue handily.
The bass on the 990 edition is just right for me, the 880 bass was accurate ,but a little lean.
The 990 soundstage is different than the DT880 250 ohms I own. To me the DT 990 Edition phones sound more like a semi open phone and the 880's an open headphone.
Just the opposite as the advertised description although I think it may be due to a factor in design/construction

Last edited:
fantastic but bright, get $10 hifiman velours or really any other Dekoni that doesn't happen to ruin the sound (checkout Zeos video and look at his DT880 recommendations basically) and has fabric over where the driver is and they are very good, but out of the box they are stabby and I was lucky enough to use a laid back Bas X A-100 so most people will probably hate them until they do a simple pad mod lol....

I've had them and i can say - no, just ... no. If you really like the sound of them - there will be the special amp requirement (one with a higher output impedance - not more power).
Furthermore there is no difference between the 600 and 250 ohm as multiple people have already discussed.
They are not bad, but they are very peculiar (very hot treble).
So all in all if you really like their sound, go for the 250 and save yourself some hassle.
not to argue but a lot of people disagree with this for the DT990/880 that the 600ohm is just better

OP
KR500

KR500

Thanksfor the tip on the Zeos video for pad replacement.
The pads on my 880's need to be replaced and I will decide whether to stay with the OEM Beyer pads, or one that Zeos reviews from Dekoni

Dackel

yep I love my 990s. Most comfortable headphone ever. Quite lightweight and super soft pads. The more you use them the comfortable they get. Like settling down in to a really great armchair. Oh and mine sound fantastic. My 880s sound great too...

Top Bottom