• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any known competent measurement done on Meridian DSP5200

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As the tread tilte says :)

I do own these speakers , but never found any proper review with the kind of quality measurement that we see nowadays.

I had them for a >decade so i’m not out to justify my purchase decisions a lot of water under the bridge and the in market and music industry has changed etc etc.

Just genuinely curious on how they would fare against today’s standards a decade+ is enough time so there may been some actual progress in speaker design .

They are still marketing them as 5200.2 and 5200se but sadly I think it’s just Meridians slow decline we are seeing otherwise they progressed to new products ( their peak was around 2005 in humble uniformed opinion) Meridians whole product line up have not changed much .

steve59

Major Contributor
It’s a bit frustrating as an owner and fan that meridian is considered a ‘back in the day’ brand. The se series introduced in 2014 made a splash but the company has done little to promote it. Maybe mqa pays the bills now and they’re going to let the components fade away.
I bought a used pair of dsp 8000.2’ and upgraded them to se last spring and summer, using resale money from my salon2’s (the se upgrade was extra) and for all the love the revels get for the same money the 8k is self powered and room friendly, truly musical

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Meridian seems to be alive and well. I think their focus these days is on the custom installer market rather than the “audiophile” consumer.

steve59

Major Contributor
Meridian seems to be alive and well. I think their focus these days is on the custom installer market rather than the “audiophile” consumer.
For a company that has been on the cutting edge of digital it would be great to see them market a NEW dsp speaker to compete with the kii 3 and Dutch and Dutch because they could do it better and the upgrade path is already in place. They need to send Kal a dsp 5200 at the least.

OP
M

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a bit frustrating as an owner and fan that meridian is considered a ‘back in the day’ brand. The se series introduced in 2014 made a splash but the company has done little to promote it. Maybe mqa pays the bills now and they’re going to let the components fade away.
I bought a used pair of dsp 8000.2’ and upgraded them to se last spring and summer, using resale money from my salon2’s (the se upgrade was extra) and for all the love the revels get for the same money the 8k is self powered and room friendly, truly musical

Late reply . The problem with the 5200 is that they have no dedicated midrange if you get Meridian the 7200 or 8000 is better but also horridly expensive . That is my theory ? I could be completely wrong . They do have small waveguides but seems to suffer some integration issues , also the speaker is to short . I probably need to saw of the legs of my sofa to sit in a proper position .

I'm afraid that the 5200 are some kind of "mini me" variants that's not really worth the effort :)

I'm only using them in trifield 5.2 mode in with center 5200 and some old DSP300 as back channels , the midrange is not good without the center ch

Music1969

Major Contributor
For a company that has been on the cutting edge of digital it would be great to see them market a NEW dsp speaker to compete with the kii 3 and Dutch and Dutch because they could do it better and the upgrade path is already in place. They need to send Kal a dsp 5200 at the least.

To compete with Kii3 and D&D 8C they need to send anything to JA not Kal :)

JA has shown us how state of the art those speakers are. Kal doesn't measure for Stereophile.

steve59

Major Contributor
I mention Kal because he's been listening to the active dsp speakers. JA does all the measurements, well ay least the last 30+ years of my subscription.

Top Bottom