• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any Known Apple AirPlay 2 Sound Quality Issues?

Downtown

Maybe this research confirms my noticed difference in audio between Airplay 1 and Airplay 2.
Seems that payback from an iPad only Airplay 1 uses BitPerfect.

IMG_0325.JPG

Most likely Apple downsamples to AAC for Airplay 2 to reduce the bandwidth demand on your network when streaming to multiple rooms.
So they’re trading what is likely inaudible differences for more stable multi-room streaming.
Airplay 1, of course, can’t stream to multiple end points, which negates the need to preserve bandwidth for those devices.

Last edited:

Martinvb

So if this is noticable for your ears as well ….. stick with the “old firmware” before the 7.8.0
Thanks! This indeed solved my issue of noticing high frequency distortion in some highres tracks. Now back on 7.6.x and the issue is completely gone. Nice to see that the ASR community picked up this issue and very strange that the offices Apple resources do not mention this at all.

Jim165

Interesting discussion about this issue.
It is for many hard to understand as there‘s hardly no technical information about AirPlay 1 and 2 shared by Apple.

But remember the technical fundamentals:
  • AirPlay 1 is a real-time stream protocol
  • AirPlay 2 is a file-transfer protocol
on the Airport Express A1392 I noticed a hearable change in audio quality while updating from 7.6.9 to 7.8.1
I didn’t experience the crackling or drop-outs some people mentioned, the sound in that way is without disortion, but I hear a difference in the soundscape.

The 7.8.. versions implementing Airplay 2, which gives a lot of benefits (multi-room, more stability because of longer buffer),
but not mentioned no “bit perfect” streaming as I read in some posts on the web.
Is it because of a larger buffer and using way more data streams, that it ends up into a lesser audio quality ?

So basically, I noticed less audio quality compared to the old firmware (7.6.9) supporting only AirPlay 1 and mainly noticable in the frequency range of deep low bass response, a bit warmer open sound (less flat).

So if this is noticable for your ears as well ….. stick with the “old firmware” before the 7.8.0

I’m using the analog output from the Airport Express A1392 (because the internal DAC is a 24-bit/192khz Asahi Kasei AK4430 and a great performer), so we can conclude there‘s no conflict with an external DAC in this case.

Found more related sources to read for those who’re interested what’s going on with the AirPlay 2 implementation
I know this thread is old, but I registered just to agree with what you found in this post and to see what you winded up doing, @Downtown. I have an analog 2 channel system consisting of a Yamaha AS1100, a Marantz TT-15S turntable, and some very temporary Klipsch RB61s (until I can get KEF R3 Metas) on stands. I wanted to get some streaming capabilities since I’m in the home office a lot, so I bought an A1392 AX and a Shiit Modi 3E DAC connected with a Toslink optical cable. AX is on 7.8.1 streaming from my iPhone. It sounds like 128kb streaming. It’s baad. No down low dynamics whatsoever. I know my speakers are bright but they sound very good with the turntable. However, downgrading to 7.6.9 made a drastic improvement in sound quality albeit with constant dropouts. Streaming from my ancient mid-2010 MacBook Pro on High Sierra and iTunes produces nearly the same quality as 7.6.9. I actually have a mini equalizer coming to link in to adjust the sound, it sounds so bad. Did you ever go in a different direction with a streaming device for Apple Music? I’ve seen Apple TV mentioned.

Last edited:

Downtown

I tried many alternatives, but finally sticked at the Airport Express A1392 because of the good audio quality results of the embedded 24-bit/192khz Asahi Kasei AKM4430 DAC.

So try a setting without the Schiit Modi DAC behind it and use the analog output of the Airport Express direct to your amplifier....you will be surprised !
(don't use the digital output because this bypasses the well performing internal DAC )

Last edited:

Jim165

I tried many alternatives, but finally sticked at the Airport Express A1392 because of the good audio quality results of the embedded 24-bit/192khz Asahi Kasei AKM4430 DAC.
Last reccomendation.... use therefor the analog output of the Airport Express not the digital output.
Yes, I figured out the right mix…7.6.9 AE firmware, analog 3.5mm to RCAs directly connected to amp results in gorgeous sound. Tossed the Schiit DAC.

Smalltalk-80

The clicking artifact sounds most like pops from a pickup needle, and is mostly present in high frequency content.
Right?

Try playing a test tone that is high or rising, that will give it off right away.
It’s very bad in my two setups. Several clicks per second around a 10 Khz sine.

Obviously it’s there always, even with normal “messy” content, where it’s only masked.
Which is of course not good enough for hi-fi.

Any alternative dongle or box, that isn’t stupid “hi-fi component expensive”, and that isn’t a Pi set up as and AirPlay device?
Not knocking the last necessarily. It’s just more complicated than it needs to be.

Last edited:

Downtown

You probably don't use the right set-up as mentioned in this post before ?
What firmware are you using and which output of the Airport Express A1392 is used ?

Ste_S

Thanks all in this thread. Was listening to my Airport Express (analogue out to RCAs into an amp) last night and though it sounded like a thin 128Kb/s stream. Have now downgraded to 7.6.9, will be interested to compare.

gags11

Forum Donor
IMO, The best way to extract quality audio from Apple Music and other Apple devices is to use an Apple TV 4K unit plus an Amazon basics audio extractor to feed your DAC.

This ensures you can stream up to 24bit 48khz hi-res files to your DAC from Apple Music using AirPlay 2, instead of 16bit 44.1khz with AirPlay 1. The only reason this works is that the Apple TV starts streaming the music itself from the internet instead of receiving the files from your Apple device.

You can also upload all files from your library to Apple Music and play all of them the same way. The only limitation is that it is capped at 24bit 48khz, which I think is plenty.

I have an AirPort Express and have tried it with various firmware to stream AirPlay 2. I would usage an app called Usage that could show the actual bitrate for transfer. AirPlay 2 was always around 100-140kbps no matter what firmware.

Smalltalk-80

You probably don't use the right set-up as mentioned in this post before ?
What firmware are you using and which output of the Airport Express A1392 is used ?
Using the analog jack and newest firmware. I really enjoy the multi room feature. Is the clicking really unavoidable?

Downtown

Using the analog jack and newest firmware. I really enjoy the multi room feature. Is the clicking really unavoidable?
I've done the same, by using the latest firmware 7.8.1, hoping to enjoy the multi-room functionality as well, but it gave lesser audio quality and unwanted "clicks".

But to avoid a long story..... Airplay 2 sucks in a way of audio quality. Therefore, downgrade to 7.6.9, which swiches back to Airplay 1 and gets rid of the annoying clicks,
BUT IMPROVES AUDIO QUALITY.

I would say...... try it out, you always can switch back, but I'm confident you wouldn't regret :)

Top Bottom