• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any interest in an ASR community speaker project?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It occurs to me that we have a small but diverse group of experts here, and it might be a fun way to 'give back' to the community as a whole if we pooled our resources and designed a really good speaker.

What I have in mind is a speaker (or several) which is small enough that a prototype can be shipped around at reasonable cost, which can be built with easy-to-source drivers, perhaps ultimately being measured and verified on the NFS if Amir is amenable.

The first decision to be made would be what price point we are targeting -
  • Very low pricepoint - a speaker using for example Dayton classic tier drivers - not great in terms of distortion, but very inexpensive. This would be an interesting exercise because as we have seen from recent reviews, cheap drivers can be used skillfully to great affect. This also has the advantage of making the project more attractive to builders.
  • Low pricepoint - think Dayton or Peerless level drivers. These are very high value and get you well into diminishing returns if used skillfully
  • Medium pricepoint - SB Acoustics, ScanSpeak Discovery sort of level. These are essentially high end drivers with great construction quality and terrific value.
  • High pricepoint - value starts dropping off dramatically here, but performance could justify it if low distortion, deep bass and a small box are desired.
The next decision would be topology, the basic premise of the speaker.
  • A simple two way with baffle mounted drivers can work surprisingly well with a small woofer and/or a robust tweeter, but output is limited. Smooth and wide directivity at the expense of low bass.
  • A larger two way (6.5"-8" woofer) works best with a waveguide, and here I think you would want to use an off-the-shelf solution to keep the speaker easy to build. This makes the speaker intrinsically more costly, as there are only a handful of good tweeters with significant waveguides, and none are really cheap. Still, this is the sort of speaker I would build for myself.
  • An interesting option would be to make a small stand mount 3 way, but here the problem is that crossover costs essentially double, and the size of the speaker increases. Still, the performance increase is significant, and people do seem to prefer the wide dispersion sound.

For me, I think the most interesting topology is actually the first - a simple two way with a small woofer. Why? Here at ASR we've had many discussions about subwoofers and how preference scores for full range speakers are almost invariably much higher if subwoofers are added. I think it would be really fun to design the 'ultimate satellite speaker', perhaps using a 5" woofer and a nice dome tweeter, focusing on robust output above 70hz or so. In terms of price point, I think this could be accomplished well using the "Low Pricepoint" category I have described, but I wouldn't argue against "medium pricepoint" if we could design something truly excellent.

The second most interesting combination is a cheap 3 way - I think people really do like wide dispersion speakers, and something using again, the "Low Pricepoint" would be appealing to a lot of people. We've had discussions about the excellent performance of inexpensive midrange drivers such as the BMRs and Vifa TG/TC9, coming in at around 15 dollars, and in using drivers such as these, you can use a much less expensive tweeter than a two way with excellent performance.

The third option would be a two way with a waveguide. I'm thinking the Seas DXT or the Wavecor unit would be the best two candidates - I'm not aware of any others. If you combine these with a sb17MFC or something similar, you get a small, high value full range speaker.

Fourth option would be something built for ultra high performance - we have the tools to do this. Perhaps target the Revel Gem2 or some other stand mount 3 way.

In terms of the community aspect, I think we can break down the tasks needed for this project:
  1. Specifying what we want the speaker to do in order to be successful - target SPL, bass extension and DI.
  2. Simulation of drivers from datasheets - finding interesting and viable drivers and nailing down the target performance
  3. Driver distortion measurement and initial characterization as needed
  4. Enclosure design, potentially for production if interested
  5. Enclosure prototype construction
  6. Crossover design
  7. Crossover construction, potentially PCB design
  8. Project management - keep the discussion focused, keep the budget on track
  9. Design verification using $100K measurement platform
I think most of us speaker DIYers can do most of these things, but we all excel or suck at some of them. Speaking for myself, my crossovers always look like hot garbage, and I don't really feel like making cabinets right now. On the other hand, some people have no interest in crossover design, but can make a nice mdf cabinet in an afternoon. Additionally, and most importantly, there are tasks which allow non speaker people to contribute, such as managing the project and tracking the parts cost and availability.

If you are interested in the project, please respond to this thread by telling me how you would like to contribute. We can then proceed to making a thread dedicated to specifying the topology, and nailing down a design target.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not a speaker designer in any capacity, but the Peerless tweeter used in the recently tested Philharmonic AAM is one I‘ve liked for a long time.

I made this comment in another thread, so I’ll just copy/paste it here so you don’t have to leave the thread:

Tweeter: Peerless BC25TG15-04 ($15 each)

Midrange: Dayton Audio RS52AN-8 ($40 each)

Woofer: Satori WO24P-4 ($200 each)

Maybe some crazy WMTMW combo (or MTM with side-firing woofers) to increase base sensitivity, reduce distortion, and increase max SPL.

Probably a ~500Hz and ~2kHz crossover.

For the Peerless Tweeter, it's like $30/pair, and in terms of sensitivity, linear FR, off-axis, and distortion, it's pretty much unmatched until you go to like $400/pair (at least looking at other measured tweeters). There are some tweeters (2 being Vifa funny enough) that are better in some regards, but usually have high THD, and even though that likely may not be audible, I don't want much more that ~1% @ 100dB in the treble. It also isn't a super wide dispersion, I've seen some tweeters not lose directivity until like 5kHz, but then they beam rapidly, which would not have a smooth in-room response.

The Dayton also has a good sensitivity, linear FR, and off-axis, and the directivity matches well with the Peerless.

The Satori is also good, it is used in the Salk 9.5 (I think it's the 8ohm version though). It roughly matches the dispersion of the Dayton.

https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/dayton-audio/dayton-audio-rs125-4; for home theater usage it likely wouldn’t be as sensitive as I would like, so as with the expensive 3 driver mentioned above, going MTM (or regular TMM) would be desirable.

Last edited:

Karu

Forum Donor
I really like this. When I read the headline, I thought that as I would love to get some of my relatives into better sound, and a midsize active could be really interesting for that. Simple, etc. I know it’s not exactly where your questions went.

OP

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not a speaker designer in any capacity, but the Peerless tweeter used in the recently tested Philharmonic AAM is one I‘ve liked for a long time.

I made this comment in another thread, so I’ll just copy/paste it here so you don’t have to leave the thread:

Tweeter: Peerless BC25TG15-04

Midrange: Dayton Audio RS52AN-8

Woofer: Satori WO24P-4

Maybe some crazy WMTMW combo (or MTM with side-firing woofers) to increase base sensitivity, reduce distortion, and increase max SPL.

Probably a ~500Hz and ~2kHz crossover.

For the Peerless Tweeter, it's like $30/pair, and in terms of sensitivity, linear FR, off-axis, and distortion, it's pretty much unmatched until you go to like $400/pair (at least looking at other measured tweeters). There are some tweeters (2 being Vifa funny enough) that are better in some regards, but usually have high THD, and even though that likely may not be audible, I don't want much more that ~1% @ 100dB in the treble. It also isn't a super wide dispersion, I've seen some tweeters not lose directivity until like 5kHz, but then they beam rapidly, which would not have a smooth in-room response.

The Dayton also has a good sensitivity, linear FR, and off-axis, and the directivity matches well with the Peerless.

The Satori is also good, it is used in the Salk 9.5 (I think it's the 8ohm version though). It roughly matches the dispersion of the Dayton.

To keep robust community engagement, I think it would be best to limit the size of the speaker - perhaps no taller than 17"/430mm. The BC25 would be an excellent choice for a 3 way, and the rs52, although it has some big advantages (dispersion, cost, build in enclosure, ultra low distortion) has an unfortunately large faceplate.

What would your choice of speaker type be? Small 2 way, 2 way with waveguide, small 3 way or other?

Attachments

• 1590683358826.png
    1590683358826.png
    90 KB · Views: 164
OP

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really like this. When I read the headline, I thought that as I would love to get some of my relatives into better sound, and a midsize active could be really interesting for that. Simple, etc. I know it’s not exactly where your questions went.

I am not completely opposed to an active design, but I think it makes less sense for this kind of project. Off the shelf plate amps worth using are very expensive and generally big, and using outboard amplifiers and DSP introduces a ton of variability. It might be suitable if a very high end target is preferred.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about a 2 way book shelf speaker that can be used alone or, with the same horizontal chassis size, on top of an active subwoofer stand, possibly using Hypex plate amplifier? That would be modular and so cool.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What would your choice of speaker type be? Small 2 way, 2 way with waveguide, small 3 way or other?
I edited my comment to include a cheap Dayton 5” that should pair decently with the stated Peerless tweeter. I say cheap, but if doing a standard 2-way that would be ~$90 in driver parts per pair, which from a commercial aspect would probably put it at like $500/pair MSRP I’m wildly guessing; so it ain’t competing with the Andrew Jones Pioneer Bookshelf by any means.

Last edited:
Reactions: 617

BostonJack

Editor
I'm with this in spirit. Love the SB Acoustics, was jonesing for the Satori 2-way Be 'kit' a while back.
I'm saving my pennies (and c-notes) for a new road bike, so my budget is low. Revel M16 might be more practical for me.

Great project! mid-high SB-Acoustics based would be a good target. Can we beat the Satori kit design?
Its theoretical for me, at this point.

OP

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about a 2 way book shelf speaker that can be used alone or, with the same horizontal chassis size, on top of an active subwoofer stand, possibly using Hypex plate amplifier? That would be modular and so cool.

There is a good precedent for this approach. Hypex does not need to be used for woofer section but obviously it is not a bad option. The question becomes - what speaker goes on top? Which topology/price point would you be interested in?

OP

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I edited my comment to include a cheap Dayton 5” that should pair decently with the stated Peerless tweeter. I say cheap, but if doing a standard 2-way that would be ~$90 in driver parts per pair, which from a commercial aspect would probably put it at like $500/pair MSRP I’m wildly guessing, so it ain’t competing with the Andrew Jones Pioneer Bookshelf by any means.

The small format Reference woofers are all really excellent, the RS 125 is quite petite. I might step up to a RS 150 and a more robust tweeter, but the approach you suggest is not without merit for a tiny speaker. To keep crossover costs low, the paper cone RS drivers are a good option - they have very smooth and extended response (really an absolute dream to work with - only the SB poly cones are smoother). The choice depends on the SPL and bass target - the 150 would be a small speaker, the 125 would be tiny. If you seal it and say it's only going down to 100hz, you might get enough spl out of it.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RS 125 is quite petite. I might step up to a RS 150
It hasn’t been measured from what I can tell, but based off the manufacturer’s graphs and how good for the money the 125 is, it also could work well with a ~2kHz crossover.

and a more robust tweeter
As I mentioned in my first comment, I haven’t seen a measured dome tweeter that performs better in all categories for <$200/each.

OP

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It hasn’t been measured from what I can tell, but based off the manufacturer’s graphs and how good for the money the 125 is, it also could work well with a ~2kHz crossover.
As I mentioned in my first comment, I haven’t seen a measured dome tweeter that performs better in all categories for <$200/each.

I'll admit I wasn't taking the bc25 very seriously, but looking at it further it does appear excellent. I wouldn't pair it with anything bigger than a 15cm woofer, however, and if we want a high preference rating, the 125 would be best.

Anyway, let's just focus on the discussion at hand and assume you have a strong interest in a really small speaker? Maybe we can focus on increasing output by using a Tang Band W4-1720.

Karu

Forum Donor
I am not completely opposed to an active design, but I think it makes less sense for this kind of project. Off the shelf plate amps worth using are very expensive and generally big, and using outboard amplifiers and DSP introduces a ton of variability. It might be suitable if a very high end target is preferred.

You are right, in my use case situation, I should follow what you mention in the other thread of going LSR+subs route.

TimW

Major Contributor
I've been eyeing the SB26ADC tweeter for a while. Distortion looks pretty good from these measurements. Also there are these 3D printable waveguides available for them. That would add cost and complexity though.

Personally I like the idea of a 2-way standmount speakers using medium pricepoint drivers. @Dennis Murphy seemed to recommend an SB Acoustics woofer for DIY and I would be interested to see what we can do with it. I would also want to do an active crossover with one of my miniDSP units though.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Y'all might find these threads on DIY loudspeaker design/improvements interesting -- in case you're not familiar with them already.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...class-economy-speakers-a-k-a-indignia.160535/

1590686660844.png

source: http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/speaker-projects/karma-indignia/

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...esign-collaborative-econowave-speaker.150939/

1590686751254.png

source: http://gainphile.blogspot.com/2010/11/s15-econowave-dsp.html

The latter design ("Econowave") was also published in Make magazine a while back.
https://makezine.com/projects/econowave-speakers/

The originator of these (and other) loudpeaker design & improvement projects, the late "Zilch" (Evan Flavell) was also quite active at one point at the Lansing Heritage forums; he woulda been ASR's kinda guy.
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/more-data-less-wank-a-eulogy-for-zilch.350053/

Attachments

• 1590686723447.png
    1590686723447.png
    239.6 KB · Views: 175
OP

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been eyeing the SB26ADC tweeter for a while. Distortion looks pretty good from these measurements. Also there are these 3D printable waveguides available for them. That would add cost and complexity though.

Personally I like the idea of a 2-way standmount speakers using medium pricepoint drivers. @Dennis Murphy seemed to recommend an SB Acoustics woofer for DIY and I would be interested to see what we can do with it. I would also want to do an active crossover with one of my miniDSP units though.

I am aware of the waveguides developed on diya for the sb26, but in the interest of keeping the project approachable (not requiring specialized fabrication) I would like to use an off the shelf driver. I think the wavecor waveguide tweeter would be an excellent choice, as well as the seas dxt.

I will tally your vote then for the big 2 way.

dwkdnvr

I am aware of the waveguides developed on diya for the sb26, but in the interest of keeping the project approachable (not requiring specialized fabrication) I would like to use an off the shelf driver. I think the wavecor waveguide tweeter would be an excellent choice, as well as the seas dxt.

I will tally your vote then for the big 2 way.

Yeah, given how ASR as a collective has aligned behind the Harman school of thought, I think a waveguide tweeter would be appropriate. As you note though, off-the-shelf options aren't that plentiful. I was going to suggest revisiting the C-Note as a cheap option, but honestly the problems there are more in the cabinet and construction than with the design. The Wavecor TW030WA11, Seas DXT or new SB26STWGC would all be interesting options, but all are $75+ which puts it into a midrange price category rather than a budget build.

Reactions: 617

dwkdnvr

To even think about a passive crossover is falling into the old audiophile mix & match trap.
Any modern loudspeaker design deserves an active DSP crossover.

Separate conversation. Electronics for that are going to run $3-500 before you even add drivers, which means the bar has to be pretty high to be attractive compared to the LSR305 etc.

TimW

Major Contributor
There are a lot of great DIY designs out there already. Few of them are active. Many hear at ASR tout the benifits of active designs and point out that it is the future of speaker design. I think it would be much more interesting to create an active design.

Top Bottom