• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any high voltage enthusiasts? My humble 350w coil

KSTR

Major Contributor
Those sparks go right in the direction where that KRK speaker and its metal stand is. A (dangerously) good way to test the EMI withstand capabilites of the KRK ;-) If a spark actually reaches it, it may take out its electronics and everthing else connected to it...

pma

Major Contributor
"Any high voltage enthusiasts?"

Well, maybe :). I am designing and producing measuring instruments for such customer, time after time.

0150.jpg

fm100.JPG

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Cool! Let's hook Amir's AP analyzer to it and see how it measures. I'm sure he won't mind, What could possibly go wrong?

murraycamp

Forum Donor
OP
Ardacer

Ardacer

"Any high voltage enthusiasts?"

Well, maybe :). I am designing and producing measuring instruments for such customer, time after time.

View attachment 48754
Are those Tesla magnifiers? Looking amazing...

Actually, if you did connect it properly to Amir's gear, you'd see a huge 400khz spike provided it can measure that far, and a whole lot of other noise...

I'm not from the US, I'm guessing it was stormy in Iowa? :D

I'm currently trying to understand why my basic 2 tungsten electrodes spark gap performs waaaaaay better than synchronous rotary spark gap. Might be due to inductive kick and resonant rises, though, the spacing is not so far off and I have other safety gaps and filters in place. I'm totally lost. Tried both 100 and 200 bps., same crappy arcs of maybe 5-10cm and climbing arcs on the secondary, while the regular sg does this, without any cooling/airflow even.

pma

Major Contributor
Are those Tesla magnifiers? Looking amazing...

It is a setup to measure partial discharges on 400kV transformer bushing. You can see HV AC transformer, voltage divider and HV capacitor as well. The photo below is a fibre optic transmission system used to measure at HV potential or just to isolate the HV sensor from the control room instrumentation.

OP
Ardacer

Ardacer

That's just crazy cool :D

also, I don't really care about that krk that much anyway @KSTR

I did once think of making plasma speakers, but I don't think it's viable

tomtoo

Major Contributor

yeap, especally subwoofers ; )

OP
Ardacer

Ardacer

yeap, especally subwoofers ; )
I mean, other than how it's toxic, deadly, and stuff... air displacement volume becomes the issue, I believe

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I mean, other than how it's toxic, deadly, and stuff... air displacement volume becomes the issue, I believe

A lightning can displace a lot of air. Not so easy to have them playing at 50Hz. ;)

OP
Ardacer

Ardacer

A lightning can displace a lot of air. Not so easy to have them playing at 50Hz. ;)

actually, super easy, barely an inconvenience
just use a regular pole pig transformer . now, about those, say, harmonics, just pretend they aren't there.

Top Bottom