• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any have an info on the Definitive Technology W Amp?

truwarrior22

Purchased a refurbed one for $150 from their site. Seems like a good little amp for the $, but not really sure what’s in this thing besides 75 watts 8 ohm and 150watts 4 ohm. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with it?

OP
T

truwarrior22

Just got mine today, so here’s a little review incase anyone is interested. Can’t fine much info on this device. The Utility app barely works, but I was able to change my EQ to tower speaker. Line in seems to work with no issues. Streaming from the Definitive apps on my 5ghz wifi network works well too. I did have connection issues with 2.4 ghz, but could just be my router. Can stream from Pandora, but looks like you need premium for Spotify... No Bluetooth or YouTube streaming, but could always connect a Bluetooth receiver to get this.

Sound quality wise, I think it’s very good and seems more neutral compared to my Marantz SR8015. Some say the bass is weak, but seems good. Maybe because I changed the EQ to tower. Probably use the W Amp for every day music and SR8015 for movies. Not sure if it will play as loud as the SR8015, but I’m sure it can hit 90db+

dandiego

Just got mine today, so here’s a little review incase anyone is interested. Can’t fine much info on this device. The Utility app barely works, but I was able to change my EQ to tower speaker. Line in seems to work with no issues. Streaming from the Definitive apps on my 5ghz wifi network works well too. I did have connection issues with 2.4 ghz, but could just be my router. Can stream from Pandora, but looks like you need premium for Spotify... No Bluetooth or YouTube streaming, but could always connect a Bluetooth receiver to get this.

Sound quality wise, I think it’s very good and seems more neutral compared to my Marantz SR8015. Some say the bass is weak, but seems good. Maybe because I changed the EQ to tower. Probably use the W Amp for every day music and SR8015 for movies. Not sure if it will play as loud as the SR8015, but I’m sure it can hit 90db+

Thanks for the mini review. Do you happen to have a DTS Play-Fi speaker? I'm wondering if the W Amp supports sending audio from one of its physical inputs to a Play-Fi compatible speaker/device? It's not listed on this FAQ page -- but it seems like a lot of Play-Fi functionality isn't well documented/updated since many of these products are now technically discontinued.

OP
T

truwarrior22

Thanks for the mini review. Do you happen to have a DTS Play-Fi speaker? I'm wondering if the W Amp supports sending audio from one of its physical inputs to a Play-Fi compatible speaker/device? It's not listed on this FAQ page -- but it seems like a lot of Play-Fi functionality isn't well documented/updated since many of these products are now technically discontinued.
I do not. I have the w amp connected to my speakers. I also have the preouts from my Marantz SR8015 connected to the analog inputs on the w amp. 90% of the time I’m just listening to streaming audio thru the w amp. I used the utility to set the EQ to tower speakers (not really sure what this eq curve does) and it sounds really nice. Actually sounds like I have a subwoofer connected, but it’s just the drivers in the Toy Towers. Deep and detailed upper bass, not one note noise.

Top Bottom