• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any Guitar Effects Rack Experts?

SK123

Hi,

I am newly starting with electric guitars.

I am planning on going high-end with my guitars stuff and really needed to acquire proper info on how the dedicated rack effects are set-up (trying to avoid multi-effects as much as possible).

I wish to create 'the Edge' sound using VOX AC30, and the general crunch for heavy rock. I hope AC30 can do the crunch well with the right effects? Pretty sure it comes with the crunch settings too like all amplifiers should?

I did some research but couldn't find satisfactory amounts of info for somebody wishing to go 'the rack' route, but theirs's plenty of info for all the multi-effects boards out there.

I truly appreciate your time and knowledge sharing about what racks can I look into etc.

Thanks,
SK

mixsit

Forum Donor
Just starting out' I'd be curious why rack FX as opposed to pedals?
Not for my guitar rig but having spent some years with 'Quadraverbs, Lex PCM80/90 etc., I understand the sometimes huge 'multiple functions under one roof downside.
On the other hand there's no point in 19" rack spaces for a function or two'..?
90%' Jerry cleans here -most everything else from the amp so nothing re "The 'Edge/Vox AC30' ..but how about;
https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/stompboxes/delay-stompbox/timefactor
And here you go;
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?forums/the-rack-space.146/
:>)

OP
S

SK123

Just starting out' I'd be curious why rack FX as opposed to pedals?
Not for my guitar rig but having spent some years with 'Quadraverbs, Lex PCM80/90 etc., I understand the sometimes huge 'multiple functions under one roof downside.
On the other hand there's no point in 19" rack spaces for a function or two'..?
90%' Jerry cleans here -most everything else from the amp so nothing re "The 'Edge/Vox AC30' ..but how about;
https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/stompboxes/delay-stompbox/timefactor
And here you go;
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?forums/the-rack-space.146/
:>)

It's mostly for uber freakin cool appearance and retro looks is why I want to go for the racks path :)
Better tone quality would of course be a bonus but I am sure multi-fx do a job good enough.

Thank you so much for thegearpage link. Was really trying to find a forum that discusses racks, glad found it finally !!

Have a great day!

weasels

3rd vote for fractal fm3. Omnipresent in studios and go to for most prog/math rock guitarists.

AC30 will be fine but if you want to play at levels that will protect your hearing you may need to dial in the crunch with the fractal fm3. AC30s play really loud. Like stage loud.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
It's mostly for uber freakin cool appearance and retro looks is why I want to go for the racks path
Unless you absolutely can't live without a TC 2290 or Oberheim Echoplex DPP then I'd stick with modern digital fx like the aforementioned FM3. Much easier to lug around. I have to admit, though, that I can't bear to part with my Gibson Echoplex even though there are software emulations that are much more flexible. Stomp box pedals are much more fun than rack fx, IMO, and sound quality need not necessarily be worse if you're careful with your signal path. I built a nice pedalboard with good quality TC pedals and DIY copies of 'vintage' pedals plus a few select oldies such as a Mutron BiPhase and ElectroHarmonix guitar-synth. Much audio mayhem can be had with that board!

My dream fx setup was a complete set of Moogerfoogers, but then they stopped making them and I don't really play electric that much anymore anyway ...

Top Bottom