• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any good passive speakers under $3k with a woofer size bigger than 6.5?

BingaMoon

I'm not knowledgable about speakers. Maybe woofer size is not even what I'm looking for. All I know is based on the speakers I've tested the bigger the woofer the better it sounded so I was curious if there any speakers for under $3k with a woofer over 6.5?

AlexanderM

Check out Monitor Audio Silver 500, I also believe the new Polk Reserve R700's have 8" woofers.

According to Audio Monitor the Silver 500's go down to 30Hz.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Revel F206 ($1750 at Crutchfield) uses two 6.5" woofers, equivalent to one 9" woofer or so.
Revel F208 ($2500 at Crutchfield) uses two 8" woofers, equivalent to one 11" woofer.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A 2-way design with a tweeter and 8" midwoofer is quite hard to design without getting directivity mismatch. I would primarily look at 3-way designs (for example 1" tweet, 5" mid, 8" woofer).

The Revel options mentioned above are great. Kef R7 and Neumann KH310 (edit: ignore the Neumann since active..) too, but are a bit over budget.

Also, have you considered a subwoofer? You can get away with smaller mains if you use subs.

Last edited:

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe adding in woofer size and active/passive can increase the correlation coefficient of Olive's regression formula from 0.86 to 1.0.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's active. OP is asking for passive (probably because he listened to 10 active and passive speakers and believes that passive sound better).

Ah, yes :facepalm:. Missed that one.

In that case, I'd look for 3-way models. It's not easy to mate a tweeter with 8" or bigger unless you'll go into PA territory. A DSP might make things a bit easier, as will a big waveguide.

Or sell the amp, and put the extra money into an active system?

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've tested around 12-13 speakers and it seems to be true.

And are these speakers within your budget? If so it would seem you're best placed to answer your own question...

As others have suggested, there are other aspects to consider here rather than purely driver diameter.

radix

Major Contributor
I've tested around 12-13 speakers and it seems to be true.

It seems like you want a deep bass response? I think you need to look at tower/floorstanding speakers. There really isn't much that truly gives 20-30 Hz. You'll get 35 Hz or 40 Hz, but to really get that deep base you need to spend serious $ or add subs. If subs are positioned and setup properly, you should not really hear them as separate from your speakers. It should all blend in.

Is this for music/stereo or HT?

Top Bottom