• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any good passive speakers under $3k with a woofer size bigger than 6.5?

Golfx

Forum Donor
Have you considered the Polk legend L800s? Very good recent review and Crutchfield has them on sale for 5k/Pr. They were 6k.

JRS

Major Contributor
I'm not thinking about total piston size.
Yes and if they are the same brand, then likely the same standards are used for dimensioning the Sd, i.e. includinh a third vs 1/2 of the surround, do we include the flange:rolleyes:, etc.

For example when I compare 6.5, 8 and 18" nominal diameter woofer from Dayton audio woofer line, the effective Sd ranges from 80-84% of the stated diameter. So my estimate stands. Multiplying by a constant will not affect the results--now if the woofers were of different brands or were of radically different geometries, say one was planar and the other deeply scooped, then maybe things veer a bit. I am curious about the effect of curvature and angle of the cone as to how it impacts Sd and break-up if you know of a reference.
Cheers.

Top Bottom