• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any experience with Ropiee and/or RopieeXL?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bought a raspberry pi to fiddle with and I’m thinking about using XL. I like the Roon/DLNA/airplay functionality. If it auto-switches it might be useful as an idiot-proof streamer (for my house guests). Selecting inputs/cast points is the big issue with hifi-phobes. (“Can I just play a song?”)

I have a volumio endpoint already. Fine for me but a hifi-phobe trap of since it doesn’t maintain an always-on connection from the controller (idiotic).

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So far so good. After some setup fiddling it is visible both as DLNA and Airplay.
Not bad for a $65 multi-protocol streamer.

doctorjuggles

I use mine to feed my AVR in the lounge for Roon and it’s flawless. I have a DietPi connected to my PC feeding my DX7s and Ropieee on the AVR rig and they are both excellent, never had a problem once they were up and running

Last edited:

bcurtin

Also using RopieeeXL as a Roon bridge to a USB DAC and Airplay/Spotify Connect endpoint.

It's been working great except for an issue where the DAC in my integrated amp (Rotel RA-1572) interpreted an empty audio stream as DSD and outputted static and interference/noise. B&W support wasn't much help and am using a Topping D30 instead, which works great. No complaints about audio quality or reliability and a great setup for $65.

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not using it as a roon endpoint, although I may move that way in future. So far for DLNA it's been a but flukey. Sometimes fiddling with the renderer settings and setting a static IP helps, but not fully ironed out. The Airplay feature works smoothly, which is good for guests.

Sounchasr

Just signed up for Roon and purchased a Pi. Any tips for setting up XL to work so I can stream Audirvana also?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I setup a Pi3 with RoPieee and it was working for days using a wired connection. I switched to WiFi and it crashed my network in 3 hours.
I unplugged it and rebooted the router, switches, and some computers and was back up.

Since then, I have loaded Volumio and had WiFi running for days without any problems.

- Rich

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does RiopeeeXL really auto update? That's my one grip about DietPi now. It used to auto update but they changed it and I have to update it through Terminal. While not a big deal, it's one more thing to do.

firedog

Does RiopeeeXL really auto update? That's my one grip about DietPi now. It used to auto update but they changed it and I have to update it through Terminal. While not a big deal, it's one more thing to do.
Yes, in the interface you can set it up to reboot and update on a schedule. Mine is set to do so daily at 3AM, and I happened to be up once at exactly that time and saw it doing the reboot and checking for updates.

Ropieee is great for Roon and works fine wth the other SW endpoints. I've also used it for Sbox, and NAA and it works no issue.

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My primary beef with all these endpoint/control systems - Chromecast, Volumio, RopieeXL, MoOde - is that with some you often lose control of the endpoint, meaning you can no longer pause or alter the queue without some kind of reset or hard stop.

In my experience, unfortunately, it has as much to do with the control point software/hardware as the endpoint. For instance, streaming directly from Tidal loses Chromecast all the time. Controlling Volumio from the Android app is a total mess, whereas from the iOS app it works really well. BubbleUPnP from android has issues with RopieeXL and Volumio, but works beautifully with Cambridge Audio streamers.

My son thought the Volumio app problem was because they are using an off-the-shelf web-page simulator in Android that can’t keep a connection open. I brought that up on the forum and got very little feedback.

Anyway, the stability of the control point-endpoint connection is the defining issue of the user experience for me.

Btw, many of my endpoints are wired.

firedog

My primary beef with all these endpoint/control systems - Chromecast, Volumio, RopieeXL, MoOde - is that with some you often lose control of the endpoint, meaning you can no longer pause or alter the queue without some kind of reset or hard stop.

In my experience, unfortunately, it has as much to do with the control point software/hardware as the endpoint. For instance, streaming directly from Tidal loses Chromecast all the time. Controlling Volumio from the Android app is a total mess, whereas from the iOS app it works really well. BubbleUPnP from android has issues with RopieeXL and Volumio, but works beautifully with Cambridge Audio streamers.

My son thought the Volumio app problem was because they are using an off-the-shelf web-page simulator in Android that can’t keep a connection open. I brought that up on the forum and got very little feedback.

Anyway, the stability of the control point-endpoint connection is the defining issue of the user experience for me.

I can only say that with Ropieee using it as a Roon endpoint, NAA, or SB endpoint I've had none of those issues.

kaka89

RopieeeXL UPNP with Audirvana is fine.
AirPlay or Spotify Connect might have more control issues.

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
RopieeeXL UPNP with Audirvana is fine.
AirPlay or Spotify Connect might have more control issues.

In general, I have no problem with computer based control points. Tablets & iPhone, not so much.

Although some Chromecasts will disappear from Google Home or control point view - even while they are playing! That seems to be more in the Chromecast hardware (and possibly Wi-Fi).

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can only say that with Ropieee using it as a Roon endpoint, NAA, or SB endpoint I've had none of those issues.

I haven’t taken the plunge on Roon, but I got the impression from a couple of audio showrooms that it is very stable operating from iOS With a variety of endpoints.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never had them with DietPi either...think I'll get a RPi4 and try it with RopieeeXL.

Top Bottom