• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any drawbacks to having the port facing up on a ported subwoofer?

tomkatt

I've recently got a fairly cheap subwoofer in my office setup, speakers are Wharfedale Diamond 220s and the sub is a Jamo S808. It's outputting via an Aiyima T9.

I'm just wondering what benefits and drawbacks there are to having the subwoofer's port (not speaker, it's bass ported) facing up or to the side instead of at the floor. Or alternately, putting the subwoofer on a shelf or stand. Main reason is I don't really want floor shaking bass, just an extension of the bass that already exists on the speakers without the vibration. As it is I've already got the sub set to maybe 30% volume and crossover around 90 hz.

Also, if I need to do any tuning/tweaking, Jamo in their infinite wisdom put the controls on the bottom, and I'd rather not be regularly tipping it over if I need to make adjustments.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First thing that comes to mind is people / kids dropping things in.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
First thing that comes to mind is people / kids dropping things in.

My first thought too. Hot Wheels cars, various bits of candy, a Barbie doll, some dead cockroaches and half a bag of popcorn.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first thought too. Hot Wheels cars, various bits of candy, a Barbie doll, some dead cockroaches and half a bag of popcorn.
Ping pong balls might be fun though.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Orientation shouldn't matter, although making a sub driver downfiring would depend on the driver used. I can easily see some desk articles somehow ending up in an upfacing port, tho....does anyone still use paperclips?

OP
T

tomkatt

Ah, to that, bear in mind, it's a controlled space (my office), no kids or pets (well, no pets yet) so no concerns of things being dropped in, and the port isn't facing up per se. Bass port is on the bottom rear when standing "as intended," I currently have it tipped on its side so the port is facing the top right side, port is the rectangular section above the controls panel.

Image here:
I couldn't show them in the picture, but it's lifted slightly off the floor by some washer/dryer anti-vibration feet: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C6Z8B36

Top Bottom