• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any downside to using balanced-to-unbalanced adapters instead of buying a device with a balanced input?

Cifer

Hello everyone,

I would like to buy an external amp for a Scarlett Solo audio interface. I would prefer the Topping L30 II for various reasons, but it has an unbalanced input as far as I know. Would there be any noticeable decline in sound quality, or a risk of damage to the gear - if I simply using an adapter? I am always confused when people make a big deal out of devices having or not having a balanced input/output because you can simply use adapters, and would like to know if it actually IS a big deal. I have done some reading about it, but not enough to fully understand everything.

If adapters are fine, would you please let me know what exactly I would ideally need to connect the Scarlett Solo to the L30 II via line output (the best solution as far as I know)?
If adapters are a bad option, would you please recommend a balanced amp around the same price (~100 Euros) that measures well? The Schiit Magnius is 250+ Euros here and I don't really need something as powerful.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The downside with single ended (unbalanced) connection is you are now susceptible to ground loops, which typically causes hum or other noise.

Per the Scarlett Solo manual, using a pair of 1/4" (6.35 m) TS to RCA adapter cables to connect to the L30 II should be safe.

scarlett solo.png

[Edit] You can also use an adapter cable that connects to the L30 II using the front stereo headphone connector in the Scarlett Solo. I think it is the more preferable way to connect to a single ended input headphone amplifier.

OP
C

Cifer

The downside with single ended (unbalanced) connection is you are now susceptible to ground loops, which typically causes hum or other noise.

Per the Scarlett Solo manual, using a pair of 1/4" (6.35 m) TS to RCA adapter cables to connect to the L30 II should be safe.

View attachment 250069

[Edit] You can also use an adapter cable that connects to the L30 II using the front stereo headphone connector in the Scarlett Solo. I think it is the more preferable way to connect to a single ended input headphone amplifier.
Thank you.

I'm confused about which way of connecting the two devices is actually better. I've seen other threads where people said to avoid double amplification, while others said double amping is fine.

Especially since the amp of the Scarlett isn't very good, I thought I should avoid using it to connect a decent amp.

Also, what about the final few paragraphs in this article https://blog.jdslabs.com/2018/03/how-to-connect-a-headphone-amplifier-to-an-audio-interface/ ? I don't know how much it matters, but I won't be able to ask for specific gains for the L30 II.

Would getting a balanced amp be a good idea or will it ultimately not matter enough to go through the trouble? Which is overall more versatile/easier to deal with if I don't want to produce professional audio but rather just play the digital piano and listen to music?

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
If you wanna to have a peace of mind better maintain both end balance/differential active. The problems are lower gain, hum and buzz. And subjective less clear details.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Adapters are sub-optimal solutions that should be used only when necessary and there is no good reason to create such a necessity

OP
C

Cifer

Adapters are sub-optimal solutions that should be used only when necessary and there is no good reason to create such a necessity
Thank you.

In my case I wouldn't need an adapter though, correct?

I'm still unsure if I should connect the external amplifier to the headphone jack of the Scarlett or the line out in the back. I've heard conflicting reports about what works better, but to me it would make sense that the line out sounds better.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Depends on your definition of what an adapter is.

OP
C

Cifer

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you.

I'm confused about which way of connecting the two devices is actually better. I've seen other threads where people said to avoid double amplification, while others said double amping is fine.

Especially since the amp of the Scarlett isn't very good, I thought I should avoid using it to connect a decent amp.

Also, what about the final few paragraphs in this article https://blog.jdslabs.com/2018/03/how-to-connect-a-headphone-amplifier-to-an-audio-interface/ ? I don't know how much it matters, but I won't be able to ask for specific gains for the L30 II.

Would getting a balanced amp be a good idea or will it ultimately not matter enough to go through the trouble? Which is overall more versatile/easier to deal with if I don't want to produce professional audio but rather just play the digital piano and listen to music?
If the return of the Scarlett headphone output isn't connected to ground and floats, then you'd be less sensitive to ground loops. There is some performance penalty (for the Scarlett 2i2, it was about15 dB) compared to the balanced output. The biggest problem with the Scarlett headphone amp is its anemic output, which isn't an issue when driving another headphone amp.

The safest bet is still to use a headphone amp with balanced inputs. The biggest potential problem is ground loop, and it is difficult to predict in advance whether you have a ground loop problem or not.

OP
C

Cifer

If the return of the Scarlett headphone output isn't connected to ground and floats, then you'd be less sensitive to ground loops. There is some performance penalty (for the Scarlett 2i2, it was about15 dB) compared to the balanced output. The biggest problem with the Scarlett headphone amp is its anemic output, which isn't an issue when driving another headphone amp.

The safest bet is still to use a headphone amp with balanced inputs. The biggest potential problem is ground loop, and it is difficult to predict in advance whether you have a ground loop problem or not.

Thank you.

I guess going with a balanced amp will be the better solution.

However, there's one more thing I'm cuoous about: Is using a balanced DAC output and amp input generally better? The other thing I could do is simply get a Motu interface which supports unbalanced line output and connect it to a Topping L30 II.

Am I understanding correctly that it won't make a noticeable difference to sound, but using balanced connections between DAC and amp would meant I won't have to worry about ground loops etc?

Holmz

Major Contributor
Thank you.

I guess going with a balanced amp will be the better solution.

Correct

However, there's one more thing I'm cuoous about: Is using a balanced DAC output and amp input generally better? The other thing I could do is simply get a Motu interface which supports unbalanced line output and connect it to a Topping L30 II.

That will work, but generally a balanced output is better than a transformer/converter.

Am I understanding correctly that it won't make a noticeable difference to sound, but using balanced connections between DAC and amp would meant I won't have to worry about ground loops etc?

Yes, XLR/balanced is more immune to noise, and why it is ubiquitous in the pro audio… where they have just a few hours to set things up with very long cable runs.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
The Topping L30 II has a 2pin barrell connector, so no dedicated ground (Class II device). It should work. It's not optimal, but if you can't find a similar device with balanced inputs for the same money, I'd go with the Topping.

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
The other thing I could do is simply get a Motu interface which supports unbalanced line output and connect it to a Topping L30 II.
Yes, Motu interface you refer is better.

cinemakinoeye

The Scarlett Solo is decent interface that can be used as a headphone amp too. It may not provide the power some power hungry cans require, but I’ve been happy with the results listening with the Sennheiser HD650 and Sony MDR-7506.

If the goal is to drive a headphone amp you already have that’s one thing, but if the goal is to drive headphones, try listening to your headphones with the built in headphone amp on the Scarlett, it’s not as bad as “audiophiles” say it is. The money saved might be better spent towards powered monitors connected to the balanced out of the audio interface, that’s what I do with my desktop setup.

I go back and forth between headphone listening with my desktop system (Scarlett 8i6) and a dedicated headphone amp on the other side of my office and subjectively I don’t feel like there is a significant difference between the headphone amps.

Top Bottom