• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any DAC above $2 is a scam you DO NOT pay for Audio Quality you pay for Features (Article)

makmeksam

Anyone knows a switch that can help with blind testing? I am looking something with two headphone male jacks switch and one headphone female jack. Plug the male jack to two amps and use one headphone with switch to do blind test with someone else easily without wearing out jacks.

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Love this place to death but for sure onboard audio isn't transparent in a lot of cases and yes can tell the difference between onboard PC audio vs external amp/dac

However you can get that for $250 or so for both. After that limit its a waste.

Last edited:

Jarrett

I don't mean to be rude, but the people claiming no differences DAC to DAC - have they owned one in the $500-1000 range? You don't see audiophiles making the opposite move to a $150-200 device with better measurements. I could easily hear what was different between my old Topping D10 and the E30 I recently received. Having lived with the D10's sound signature for four months, I knew something had changed and I could tell you what it is.

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

... Or your dad is simply accustomed to old-fi, low rent colored sound and that's what he considers good. Scientifically we must consider all the possibilities here at Audio Science Review.

Anecdotal evidence: went headphone shopping with my Step-Dad, brought along my iPhone with Mojo with some high bitrate MP3s for reference audio. Spent some time, he ended up liking the HD650s the best for the $$.
Got home, he's listening to some other stuff via iPad or direct from computer. $2 DAC, ya know. And he says "Hey there's something missing, it just doesn't sound as good." Hook the Mojo into the signal path and "Ah, that's better. What's that thing cost?"
So I got him a Mojo for his B-day. :)

Anyhow, I've heard difference from my Burr-Brown on the integrated amp vs the Cirrus on the CD player and just decided to get a RME ADI-2. Very happy with the RME. I heard differences between each but they were subtle and if the speakers weren't very good or the amp or CD transport... no difference would be found between the DACs.

So, sure, if you are playing through amp & speakers that aren't very good then it doesn't matter how good the signal you give it.

PolkFan

Forum Donor
... Or your dad is simply accustomed to old-fi, low rent colored sound and that's what he considers good. Scientifically we must consider all the possibilities here at Audio Science Review.
So true that beautiful VHS quality narrator in movie trailers. Need to get a new tube amp so i can have this quality sound in here

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't mean to be rude, but the people claiming no differences DAC to DAC - have they owned one in the $500-1000 range? You don't see audiophiles making the opposite move to a $150-200 device with better measurements. I could easily hear what was different between my old Topping D10 and the E30 I recently received. Having lived with the D10's sound signature for four months, I knew something had changed and I could tell you what it is.
I’ve owned DACs well above the $500-1000 range and I most certainly have moved in the opposite direction. I sold my “audiophile approved” DACs and am very happy with my Topping D10 and a heap of change to spend on music and wine (not necessarily in that order)

Asylum Seeker

I
"Unfortunately, courtesy of design quirks in ESS DAC chip, we have rising intermodulation distortion in mid levels. "
I'll just leave that here as a counter to DACs being a solved problem and not mattering.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/soncoz-sgd1-audio-dac-review.10295/
I don't dispute the findings. I dispute your analysis and conclusion of the findings. The question - the question that you ought to have asked yourself - is whether it is perceptible to the hearing apparatus of Homo sapiens. For if it is imperceptible to humans, then the problem is effectively moot.

stalepie2

Major Contributor
Also burn in isn't real it is your brain adjusting to the sound,

... but if all devices sound the same, what is there to adjust to? You already adjusted to the universal sound of DACs and amps the first time you heard them as a baby or kid. No need to re-adjust!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Just for fun and relaxation, warning all do useful this day's you won't get free soda.

kkeretic

I don't mean to be rude, but the people claiming no differences DAC to DAC - have they owned one in the $500-1000 range? You don't see audiophiles making the opposite move to a $150-200 device with better measurements.

Well, guess I am not an audiophile then (and probably I am not) since I like and prefer my D50s (slightly modified) more than D70 (double the price, unmodified) to the point I am looking to replace the D70 with another D50s just because I found the sound signature I like and really enjoy (of course with the rest of my gear). However the point is the same, DAC to DAC difference. So I am enjoying every second listening the music through the D50s and struggle to enjoy what the D70 is pushing through the same rest of the chain. Biased? But how so since D50s is half the price/features D70 has and I don't really care about the money, smaller devices, slightly better (should be inaudible) measurements? Biased on what exactly? Enclosure? The shut off function of D50s display D70 is lacking? D70 even looks like a real HiFi component, has tons of everything, is driven by "serious" PSU compared to the D50s that is powered by a ~10$ phone charger. Well, on the other hand, D50s measures somewhat better :). But who can hear that? Or is it possible there is a chance the sound difference actually exists? What is more important? Measurements, price point or enjoyment with all that gear? Should I keep struggling with the D70 'coz it is a higher grade and more expensive piece of sh.., well, HiFi gear or 'coz it should sound the same as anything else and it makes no sense to spend some more money on a half priced product?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just for fun and relaxation, warning all do useful this day's you won't get free soda.

It's all L-R and inbetween for me. of course, due to the shift in tonal balance and the L-R info I can deduct if the guy was in front or the rear or the side but no 3D for me. Even listening to this, a personal brain thingy that it doesn't work for me. Not even with HD800 :(.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It's all L-R and inbetween for me. of course, due to the shift in tonal balance and the L-R info I can deduct if the guy was in front or the rear or the side but no 3D for me.
It's prank, just a good old stereo... Besides where else you can get a complimentary haircut this day's. ;)

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Should I keep struggling with the D70

You could try to test it 'blind' just for fun and because one can.
Just make sure it is level matched and the individual changing out (or faking it) does not provide you with any cues and similar filters are used.
Have about 20 attempts and see how many times you identified the D50 correctly compared to the notes the helper made.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's prank, just a good old stereo... Besides where else you can get a complimentary haircut this day's. ;)

This is not working for me either... anyone here that hears something. I guess I am one one the 20% that can't hear it.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
This is not working for me either... anyone here that hears something. I guess I am one one the 20% that can't hear it.
Lisas one drives imagination as much as coherent dream and all do there's no sound you do imagine it. Simply our brain complies to formal logic if it's enough convinced that's real & trys to fill the missing part.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, that's what I understood. Thing is it states 80% hears sounds where there is none. I hear none and was wondering IF there are are people hear that DO hear sounds. Statistically 4 out of 5 should acc. to the video.
What do other members hear ? Any guys/gals here that hear ?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well we are a little different animals. I feeld the bottom end & checked if I hear anything. As there's no static I got sure there's no sound whatsoever. We do this automatically, unconscious and fast as we adopted it in our knowledge and it's part of our formal logics system now. ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor

I don't need to jump off a high cliff to know I will most certainly die should I ignore science.

Top Bottom