• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any chance we'll have reviews of "gaming" DAC / Amps?

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As an example, the Mayflower ARC Mk2.

Basically a DAC / Amp with provisions for both output and input, to feed powered speakers or a headphone amp with a line out, headphones via a headphone amp, and a mic in.

ZeDestructor

As an example, the Mayflower ARC Mk2.

Basically a DAC / Amp with provisions for both output and input, to feed powered speakers or a headphone amp with a line out, headphones via a headphone amp, and a mic in.

There's been a few already, like the Soundblaster X G6. As usual, buy it and sent it in workflows apply.

That said, with how cheap a proper interface like a Behringer UM2 or UMC202 are, even in the PC building/gaming scene the advice is to get a decent XLR mic, mount and interface; or a modmic and go that route instead of combined stuff.

Celty

I have the SteelSeries Arctic Pro wired headphones that came with their "GameDAC" it's got some cool features for gaming, but the basic DAC/Amp quality really can't compete with high quality solutions. Right now I am using a y-splitter to plug the headphones into my amp (single ended), and the microphone into my Essence STX sound card. Works great for me.

OP
R

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I basically use a Sony ECM-CS3 plugged into the motherboard mic in, and Im just wondering what else could I use to make the microphone sound better for people on the other side.

Jukka

That said, with how cheap a proper interface like a Behringer UM2 or UMC202 are, even in the PC building/gaming scene the advice is to get a decent XLR mic, mount and interface; or a modmic and go that route instead of combined stuff.
Just a side note: mics sitting on desk can pick up keyboard noise and once it's there it's unbelievably hard to get rid of it. Mounting can cost more than the mic and electronics combined.

k3nb5t

Forum Donor

I went through this journey myself. The journey ended up being far more expensive than I intended. But that's usually the way things go for me. I get easily enticed by nice hardware :cool: A quality combined unit like the one linked by the OP could help limit the cost for those "less committed" than I am.

My biggest issue with pro-audio gear has been drivers. They are optimized for a specific kind of workflow (low latency recording and playback, generally), and some of the decisions can make them less livable for everyday use. For instance, my Focusrite Clarett behaves in funny ways under high CPU load (such as while gaming).

This is a pretty narrow market, but it does feel like there is one here...

Just a side note: mics sitting on desk can pick up keyboard noise and once it's there it's unbelievably hard to get rid of it. Mounting can cost more than the mic and electronics combined.

I second this. I bought a Blue Yeti (14mm condenser), but I couldn't get the thing to stop picking up my keystrokes. It was hopeless on the desk, but even with a shock mount on a scissor boom it was clearly audible. I have had better success with dynamic mics. Still, accessories add up fast. A good quality scissor boom will run you ~$100 USD and then you also have to buy a shock mount and pop filter...

In case anyone is in the market, I bought one of these some time back. It's passable, but no competition for my Rode PSA-1. Still, it is surprising what you can get for $10 USD.
NEEWER Adjustable Microphone Suspension Boom Scissor Arm Stand
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DY1F2CS

k3nb5t

Forum Donor
I have the SteelSeries Arctic Pro wired headphones that came with their "GameDAC" it's got some cool features for gaming, but the basic DAC/Amp quality really can't compete with high quality solutions. Right now I am using a y-splitter to plug the headphones into my amp (single ended), and the microphone into my Essence STX sound card. Works great for me.

I tried a similar setup at one point with an Emotive DC-1 and it induced a severe hum (ground loop?) into the mic signal. I never figured out how to fix it. I didn't like the headset anyways, so I switched to a separate mic.

Celty

Fortunately, I have not encountered that issue... The main problem I had with the Arctic Pro was that it was not comfortable. A set of Wicked Cushions cured that :)

Monstieur

The ARC Mk2 is the only device with Optical for Xbox, USB for PC / PS, 3.5 mm for analog, bass boost, and microphone ADC via USB.

ZeDestructor

I second this. I bought a Blue Yeti (14mm condenser), but I couldn't get the thing to stop picking up my keystrokes. It was hopeless on the desk, but even with a shock mount on a scissor boom it was clearly audible. I have had better success with dynamic mics. Still, accessories add up fast. A good quality scissor boom will run you ~$100 USD and then you also have to buy a shock mount and pop filter...

In case anyone is in the market, I bought one of these some time back. It's passable, but no competition for my Rode PSA-1. Still, it is surprising what you can get for $10 USD.
NEEWER Adjustable Microphone Suspension Boom Scissor Arm Stand
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DY1F2CS

That's why you gotta shockmount the things, but that's a right pain to do when you have 3+ monitors on your desk. End result? I stick to my little modmic.

Top Bottom