• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any Audioengine A5+ competitors?

Revolite

I've been searching for a good pair of speakers to use at my desk via a PC and the Audioengine A5+ comes recommended from our lord and savior Amir. However, it's not in my nature to accept one recommendation, I need to create a spreadsheet with 25+ different options ranging from $400 to $2000AUD a pair and that is exactly what I have done.

At the top of my list with a more reasonable price filter applied is the Audioengine A5+ and Kanto YU6 among others. Now the Kanto YU6 is about 50% more expensive ($479 vs $750) here and satisfies my preference for a shallow (physical depth no longer than 240mm) that will fit on my desk. But with very little information available I am reluctant to assume that more expensive=more good.

So does anyone have some experience with the YU6 as a desktop speaker that could contribute?

I'm not against a passive speaker (Elac Debut 5.2 might be nice) but they all seem quite deep. Something with low hiss and able to hit a low enough frequency that a sub isn't completely necessary is my aim.

Last edited:

PyramidElectric

Genelec 8030c, or 8020d if you want smaller & cheaper (with slightly less bass extension).

weasels

Genelec 8030c, or 8020d if you want smaller & cheaper (with slightly less bass extension).

IIRC, the 8030c is more than twice the cost of the A5+. Prices for the A5+ are typically listed per pair.

I think something like the Vanatoo Transparent One or Zero might be a more appropriate comparison, or a small studio monitor from Adam or JBL.

The T zero is going to be more bass limited, but is quite small.

Last edited:

weasels

Another option to consider are the iLoud monitors (either the Micro or MTM). They have really impressive bass for their size.

Kutusov

From what I remember reading, the YU6s are nice but far from great. At that price point, and depending where you live, I would look into a the Triangle Elaras active, Hivi Swan M200MkIII, Edifier S2000MkIII or S1000db, etc. But I would say these are too big and heavy for desk use.

Kutusov

There is a pair of small speakers I would be curious about, the Ruark Audio MR1 MkII. Small, gorgeous and have a volume knob on top :p. They get excellent reviews, maybe too good for such a small speaker.

carewser

I've been searching for a good pair of speakers to use at my desk via a PC and the Audioengine A5+ comes recommended from our lord and savior Amir. However, it's not in my nature to accept one recommendation, I need to create a spreadsheet with 25+ different options ranging from $400 to $2000AUD a pair and that is exactly what I have done.

At the top of my list with a more reasonable price filter applied is the Audioengine A5+ and Kanto YU6 among others. Now the Kanto YU6 is about 50% more expensive ($479 vs $750) here and satisfies my preference for a shallow (physical depth no longer than 240mm) that will fit on my desk. But with very little information available I am reluctant to assume that more expensive=more good.

That's weird that the Kanto's are so much more than the Audioengine's because where I live in western Canada Kanto YU6's are about the same price as the A5+ although I have to recommend the YU6's even though I own a pair of the Audioengine's for two reasons. One, both the Kanto's and I are Canadian (gotta cheer for the home team) and recovering audiophile Andrew Robinson has a pair of YU6's on his desktop which is a pretty good endorsement. Speaking of the home team, the Kanto Tuk's are also a very popular powered speaker although they're more than either the YU6 or the A5+ but still within your budget although given how expensive the YU6's are down under I shudder to think what you'd have to pay to get your hands on a pair of Tuk's. There are a lot of Genelec fans here but I think from an aesthetic standpoint at least, the Tuk's destroy anything made by Genelec

Last edited:
OP
R

Revolite

I love the suggestions. There is definitely something funny going with pricing in my region though. iLoud, Genelec or Vanatoo would be perfect if not for the price. I don't mind spending more but I have to be getting some value back for my money and I just can't see it in those right now.

1630651929649.png

OP
R

Revolite

How about Neumann? Are the KH80s in your price range?

They're $1460 here I'd love to keep it no higher than about $750 including amp if I go that route. I might need to adjust my budget or my expectations.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about Neumann? Are the KH80s in your price range?

This or the iLoud MTM would be my recommendation, the latter comes with a room correction mic and this can make a large difference unless you already have a way of correcting things.

Other than that, Genelec if you plan on expanding things. Use small Genelecs nearfield now and move them to surround speakers, then Atmos height speakers as you upgrade if that's of any interest to you. That being said, it's expensive, and you'd need the 82xx or 83xx series to work with GLM for it to be worth it.

Way too big, but in the $800 range I'd take the Kali IN-8 V2 as a great all arounder, and you're getting a 3 way with an 8" woofer that can play deeper more easily. (These work just fine filling a living room if you ever need them to do that, and have excellent dispersion vertically that all other speakers here that aren't coaxial lack. They also have basic placement correction with their built in DSP that helps make them sound even whether they are on your desk, a mixing bridge, stand, near the wall, etc.)

I've heard the Kanto Tuk, and would pick an Adam T series speaker over it, but take that with a grain of salt as that's from memory.

OP
R

Revolite

From what I remember reading, the YU6s are nice but far from great. At that price point, and depending where you live, I would look into a the Triangle Elaras active, Hivi Swan M200MkIII, Edifier S2000MkIII or S1000db, etc. But I would say these are too big and heavy for desk use.

I think you're right. They're great suggestions though. They look great, excellent value and have a very low frequency response.

Last edited:
OP
R

Revolite

That's weird that the Kanto's are so much more than the Audioengine's because where I live in western Canada Kanto YU6's are about the same price as the A5+ although I have to recommend the YU6's even though I own a pair of the Audioengine's for two reasons. One, both the Kanto's and I are Canadian (gotta cheer for the home team) and I recovering audiophile Andrew Robinson has a pair of YU6's on his desktop which is a pretty good endorsement. Speaking of the home team, the Kanto Tuk's are also a very popular powered speaker although they're more than either the YU6 or the A5+ but still within your budget although given how expensive the YU6's are down under I shudder to think what you'd have to pay to get your hands on a pair of Tuk's. There are a lot of Genelec fans here but I think from an aesthetic standpoint at least, the Tuk's destroy anything made by Genelec

Yeah, Genelec are a bit frumpy and that plastic finish doesn't scream premium. The TUKs are $1495 a pair here.

OP
R

Revolite

This or the iLoud MTM would be my recommendation, the latter comes with a room correction mic and this can make a large difference unless you already have a way of correcting things.

Other than that, Genelec if you plan on expanding things. Use small Genelecs nearfield now and move them to surround speakers, then Atmos height speakers as you upgrade if that's of any interest to you. That being said, it's expensive, and you'd need the 82xx or 83xx series to work with GLM for it to be worth it.

Way too big, but in the $800 range I'd take the Kali IN-8 V2 as a great all arounder, and you're getting a 3 way with an 8" woofer that can play deeper more easily. (These work just fine filling a living room if you ever need them to do that, and have excellent dispersion vertically that all other speakers here that aren't coaxial lack. They also have basic placement correction with their built in DSP that helps make them sound even whether they are on your desk, a mixing bridge, stand, near the wall, etc.)

I've heard the Kanto Tuk, and would pick an Adam T series speaker over it, but take that with a grain of salt as that's from memory.

Are those iLoud monitor even legal the way they are supposed to reach down to 50Hz? They only have 2x3.5" woofers! I thought there was no way to break the laws of physics, but here we are.

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
Are you going to be using/adding a sub?

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I love the suggestions. There is definitely something funny going with pricing in my region though. iLoud, Genelec or Vanatoo would be perfect if not for the price. I don't mind spending more but I have to be getting some value back for my money and I just can't see it in those right now.

View attachment 151207
Having heard absolutely none of these speakers, due to lack of availability where I live, but having researched all except the Neumi & B&W, your top 3 on this list happen to be my top 3 in terms of preference once things stabilize and I can both afford them and travel becomes easier. Of those, only the LSX is a good value in terms of prices relative to US prices. You don't list my #4, which is the Adam Audio T5V. However, if they really do cost $750 AUD as a quick search indicates, they are not great value, but not as badly overpriced as the Genelecs.

carewser

Your prices are higher than in Canada even though our currencies are very close (the Aussie buck is worth 1.07CAN). Here the Genelec 8030C's are $1500/pair (almost $1000 less), the iLoud MTM's are $800/pair ($450 less), the Vanatoo Transparent Zeros are $450/pair ($600 less) and the Kanto YU6's are $570/pair ($180 less). Weirdly, the Audioengines are a little cheaper down under, they're $530/pair here but only $480/pair in Australia so it seems they're the best deal

I'm jealous of your weather down there but not your prices

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
JBL LSR305 $500 AUD

According to the spins much more bass extension and flatter than A5+. But not as aesthetic and lesser build quality I assume. As they are discontinued you might be able to haggle for even lower price if you contact a retailer with stock left.

Last edited:
Top Bottom