• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any affordable class-d amp with low noise, low distortion, and low gain?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9685

• I don't need much power because I sit close to speakers.
  • I want low noise and low distortion at low output power levels because I want to hear quiet details and don't want to hear hiss.
  • I want low gain by the amp because I don't want the amp to amplify noise.
  • Ideally, I want a logarithmic volume pot instead of linear volume pot. Digital volume control is okay if it works on analogue signal.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure where you're located, but I'd be shopping for Hypex implementations like March Audio, VTV and others. They can be found for <$1000 US.

Mutsu

Not sure where you're located, but I'd be shopping for Hypex implementations like March Audio, VTV and others. They can be found for <$1000 US.

+1 - I have a Hypex implementation amp and would recommend them. You'd need some other form of volume control however, as they are power amps.

nerone

I have had several ds classes including Aiyma A07, in my opinion the only cheapest and best amplifier is the drMordor TPA 3255 "Akita"
Until now I have tried it on large speakers, I have never heard any noise that bothered listening.
If you want mine is for sale

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I completely forgot that there are power amplifiers that do not have volume control. They require preamplifiers.
Common terminology calls power amplifiers with integrated volume control "integrated amplifiers". If you search for an integrated amplifier, you will find anything from the basic amplifier with volume control that seems to fill your requirement to something like the NAD M33 that will be "slightly" overboard.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Cherry Stereo Maraschino amp is low noise, low distortion, and fairly low gain and it has a volume control. I don't have the stereo, but have a bunch of the mono versions (without volume control).

https://www.cherryamp.com/stereo-maraschino-stm
THD+N: 0.02%
They do not publish detailed measurements but this is not very impressive, SINAD 74, below average and in the yellow area of the charts.

Edit: wait, on the Product Sheet it says 0.002%, now I don't know which one is right.

Willem

Major Contributor
My desktop system uses a power amplifier with a usb DAC and volume control. For a basic system with just a PC as a source nothing more is necessary.

MenloBob

Run a Motu M2 or M4 as a DAC with volume control into a balanced power amp based on a Hypex nc122mp.

Top Bottom