• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Antimode X2 vs. MiniDSP Flex: need advice

kma100

Forum Donor
My current setup is simple:

Bluesound Node analog out to Outlaw 100 wpc amp -> Revel F208
Rythmik sub 15" (https://www.rythmikaudio.com/F15HP.html) connected to the Node

I am looking for sub/room correction and have considered MiniDSP Flex and the Antimode X2. I know the Flex has been measured, but I am not looking for any streaming capabilities.

Any guidance? I don't like to tweak things too much so a simple, effective solution is preferred.

Thanks!

OP
K

kma100

Forum Donor
Any feedback, even if anecdotal?

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With regards to the Antimode X2, while the review below of the isn't the exact same device, it is from the same company and it would not inspire any confidence in me. If you had it narrowed down to that or the miniDSP Flex, get the far more capable Flex. It doesn't have streaming, so I'm not sure what you are referencing there since you aren't looking for that anyway? I have one and I think it's fantastic.

EDIT: Also more discussion here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ment-hardware-anti-mode-x2-by-dspeaker.37598/

Last edited:
OP
K

kma100

Forum Donor
Thanks. Will take a closer look at the Flex.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I have a Node 2i, Yamaha RN803, JLA e112 and AHB2 amp. I want to eliminate the yamaha and setup a simple 2.1 with room correction and it's not easy. I ended up all ready to buy the flex until I read in the Flex review that it did not have a trigger out, and the AHB2 does not use "auto sense" to turn on when it receives a signal. I would guess you're in the same boat, so you'd have to manually turn your amp on/off as needed. I'd like to know what you end up with.

OP
K

kma100

Forum Donor
The trigger is very helpful. I guess I can sell the Node and go with a receiver with Audyssey XT32. I just placed an order on the Anti-mode X2. Let's see..

radix

Major Contributor
The trigger is very helpful. I guess I can sell the Node and go with a receiver with Audyssey XT32. I just placed an order on the Anti-mode X2. Let's see..
You can use an auto power strip that senses when the Flex is powered on.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I found this unit, looks like it might work. There is one "master outlet" which would be the Flex, and other switched outlets that would be turned on/off based on the status of the master. @radix thanks for the tip.

Also available on ebay at various prices

Last edited:

radix

Major Contributor
I found this unit, looks like it might work. There is one "master outlet" which would be the Flex, and other switched outlets that would be turned on/off based on the status of the master. @radix thanks for the tip.

Also available on ebay at various prices

This is the one that I have used on an RMI ADI-2 DAC FS and on a minidsp SHD. It has an adjustable trigger level via a set screw on the side. I bet the one you linked to is just fine also.

Fred H

Forum Donor
looks like it might work
I tried a different model from the Trickle Star for the same purpose, but as its minimum requirement of 15W wasn't met by my D30 Pro I returned it. I couldn't find a spec for the Bits Limited strips, but I plan to give one a try...

Edit: A review on this Amazon link said the minimum was 7 Watts. So an improvement (at lower cost) for my purpose, I'm hopeful.

radix

Major Contributor
I tried a different model from the Trickle Star for the same purpose, but as its minimum requirement of 15W wasn't met by my D30 Pro I returned it. I couldn't find a spec for the Bits Limited strips, but I plan to give one a try...

Edit: A review on this Amazon link said the minimum was 7 Watts. So an improvement (at lower cost) for my purpose, I'm hopeful.

The RME ADI-2 DAC FS has a rated 7W idle power consumption, so I'm sure it's less than 7W. IIRC, the one I use there is not at the minimum setting, but close.

Adjusting the set screw takes some time. It is also only a 1/2 turn screw, so don't go wild with it. For the RME, there is about a 5-10s delay from when I turn it off (the power ring turns red then off) and when it turns off the load. Again, IIRC, I started at the max position, then turn down a little, wait a little, turn down a little, etc.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
The RME ADI-2 DAC FS has a rated 7W idle power consumption, so I'm sure it's less than 7W. IIRC, the one I use there is not at the minimum setting, but close.

Adjusting the set screw takes some time. It is also only a 1/2 turn screw, so don't go wild with it. For the RME, there is about a 5-10s delay from when I turn it off (the power ring turns red then off) and when it turns off the load. Again, IIRC, I started at the max position, then turn down a little, wait a little, turn down a little, etc.
Do you guys have any concerns with the switched device? Aren't we basically inserting/pulling the plug on the switched device every time the control device is used? Perhaps it is just like waking the device from standby but I certainly don't know. In my case the switched device is an AHB2; I sent an email to Rory at Benchmark for his advice and will update when I hear back. thoughts?

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
As usual Rory responded almost immediately and here are his comments. He also made a suggestion for an alternative, using a 12v trigger plugged into the strip :)

"Hello Phil,
Yes, this would work. Hopefully, the strip can allow the current surge upon turn on. You can put the amp into 'auto on' mode so that it would turn on/off when ac power is applied or removed.

Another idea would be to get a 12V power supply and have it powered on/off by the outlet and have the amp controlled by the 12V trigger, plugging the amp directly into the wall outlet.

Best regards,

Rory Rall
Sales Mgr.
Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.
203 E. Hampton Place, Suite 2
Syracuse, NY 13206"

radix

Major Contributor
As usual Rory responded almost immediately and here are his comments. He also made a suggestion for an alternative, using a 12v trigger plugged into the strip :)

"Hello Phil,
Yes, this would work. Hopefully, the strip can allow the current surge upon turn on. You can put the amp into 'auto on' mode so that it would turn on/off when ac power is applied or removed.

Another idea would be to get a 12V power supply and have it powered on/off by the outlet and have the amp controlled by the 12V trigger, plugging the amp directly into the wall outlet.

Best regards,

Rory Rall
Sales Mgr.
Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.
203 E. Hampton Place, Suite 2
Syracuse, NY 13206"

The 12V power supply is a nice idea, had not thought of that.

I have a couple complaints about the minidsp flex and SHD, one of which is no 12V trigger. On the SHD, which I have, I use a BobWire toslink to trigger box (it detects the photos and then turns on a 12v trigger). On the flex, that's not an option. (my other issues are you cannot rename the inputs on the display and it takes forever for the shd streamer to come alive after power on, i wish it had a better standby mode).

Fred H

Forum Donor
I want to switch a Buckeye NC502MP that doesn't have his current sensor input board. As it's Class D it doesn't have as large a startup surge as the Class A/B Benchmark.

radix

Major Contributor
I want to switch a Buckeye NC502MP that doesn't have his current sensor input board. As it's Class D it doesn't have as large a startup surge as the Class A/B Benchmark.

I think that previous suggestion of using a 12V power supply on a switched power strip would work just fine. Plug the amp into an unswitched outlet an just switch the 12V supply on/off.

Fred H

Forum Donor

It didn't work for me because it couldn't discriminate between the standby and on wattages; but I blame that on my gear, not the unit.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
With regards to the Antimode X2, while the review below of the isn't the exact same device, it is from the same company and it would not inspire any confidence in me. If you had it narrowed down to that or the miniDSP Flex, get the far more capable Flex. It doesn't have streaming, so I'm not sure what you are referencing there since you aren't looking for that anyway? I have one and I think it's fantastic.

EDIT: Also more discussion here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ment-hardware-anti-mode-x2-by-dspeaker.37598/
The dual core was released in 2012 or something, so it's not completely fair to compare that to the brand new X2.

The dual core also did a good job at what it set out to do (which Amir oddly didn't even test) despite the low SINAD.

OP
K

kma100

Forum Donor
Good point. And I am ok trading perceived scoring with ease of use!

Willem

Major Contributor
I have been very pleased with the ease of use and effectiveness of the DSpeaker Antimode 8033 for subwoofer only eq. I would expect something similar from the X2.

Top Bottom