• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anti-War Songs

Juhazi

Major Contributor

Comp. Eduard Kolmanovskij Lyrics Jevgeni Jevtusenko Finnish lyrics Pentti Saaritsa

Could the Soviet people really hope for war?

Let the meadow meet the quiet and whisper of the birch forests. And those who fall from their graves can give evidence of that - believe their children. No war of hope, no war can the Russians hope for ever.

It was not just that the army suffered for its own country, but for the whole world to sleep in the peace of its night. When New York, Paris and Vienna shake their heads in peace, their dreams tell in peace: no war of hope, no war can the Russians hope for ever.

We can fight, but we will not let that nightmare happen again when the blood covered the whole earth. I guess many of you can listen to your mothers. They make you believe: no war of hope, no war can the Russians hope for ever.

And the working people of the peoples know it best, they know it with instinct: no war of hope, no war can the Russians hope for ever.

Last edited:

deprogrammed

System Of A Down and Rage Against the Machine can get very political.

Why do they always send the poor?
Tom Morello graduated from Harvard but more importantly is a fantastic guitarist.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
TV On The Radio: Red Dress

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I suspect the animation team at Spongebob came up with this, if not, sure looks fluid if it was comped from pre-existing sources:

I didn't know there was a SpongeBob cover. Here's another (pretty good) one:

And a Rage Against the Machine cover for good measure:

Last edited:
OP
Presently42

Presently42

Mussorgsky "The Hut of Baba Yaga" "Great Gate of Kiev"
I considered posting with this piece - one rather close to me. A fine choice!

Instead, I offer another classical piece, the In Paradisum of Benjamin Britten's War Requiem - perhaps the greatest anti-war piece of music ever composed. I've linked the final movement, but if you've a couple of hours to spare, do give the whole work a listen: it's worth your while.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Edit: maybe obscure for this audience, Russian underground music (the group's name reads "I speak"). This one notably anti-war, their previous video Death No More has ~100 million YT views. In Putin's Russia of course they risk their freedom or lives making a career of this (it's also a great video).

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Shostakovich' 13th Symphony begins with Yevtushenko's poem Babi Yar (on the massacre near Kyiv). I prefer sitting with the cat looking out the window, but there's a version with orchestra and subtitles for reference also:

Top Bottom