• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anti-rumble filter on 4" speakers?

Feelas

Hey there, I'm in the process of EQ-ing Mackie CR4X-BTs (I feel they're horrible out of the box, so had to get a UMIK-1 anyways), and I'm wondering - since these are just 4" woofers + tweeters, I've recently added a HPF which goes a lot down about 40Hz.

Does that make sense, since the drivers anyways won't make the 40Hz? I believe everything sounds much cleaner, much like if the 40Hz range was spraying THD all over the bass. Or is it overdoing it?

Not gonna post the REW measurements in case anyone asks, simply because if I did, I'd dump myself in EQ-ing all over again and I can't budget the time right now :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey there, I'm in the process of EQ-ing Mackie CR4X-BTs (I feel they're horrible out of the box, so had to get a UMIK-1 anyways), and I'm wondering - since these are just 4" woofers + tweeters, I've recently added a HPF which goes a lot down about 40Hz.

Does that make sense, since the drivers anyways won't make the 40Hz? I believe everything sounds much cleaner, much like if the 40Hz range was spraying THD all over the bass. Or is it overdoing it?

Not gonna post the REW measurements in case anyone asks, simply because if I did, I'd dump myself in EQ-ing all over again and I can't budget the time right now :D
I do a similar thing with my headphones. They don't go down that low so I just EQ'd out that frequency range to spare the small amplifier in my motherboard from amplifying that range.

OP
Feelas

Feelas

I do a similar thing with my headphones. They don't go down that low so I just EQ'd out that frequency range to spare the small amplifier in my motherboard from amplifying that range.
That's encouraging :) I'll probably see how KNS-8400 react to same corrections, simply because these have ~10-15% in lower bass and that's tad a lot, and I'm just emotionally attached to them, lol.

Do you also feel that the bass tightens a lot with such a correction? I feel that it's the case here. And similarly - since these are 2x25W actives, I believe saving every ounce of power for peaks is necessary. I wonder whether using a HPF can prevent clipping in the rest of ranges?

tomtoo

Major Contributor

No reason to push somethink into them, that they not can do well. THD rises,for nothing. So you did absolutly ok imo.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you also feel that the bass tightens a lot with such a correction?
It's possible that a tightening of the bass sensation might be occurring.

since these are 2x25W actives, I believe saving every ounce of power for peaks is necessary. I wonder whether using a HPF can prevent clipping in the rest of ranges?
Yes, you will be using the power more effectively.

Top Bottom