• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anti-ASR gear

Krunok

Major Contributor
Ultimately audio equipment is just a tool to facilitate listening to something. If your equipment allows you to enjoy music or whatever else you may be listening to and enjoy it without feeling that equipment is getting in the way then it is doing its job.

My younger son (17yo), when not listening to his headphones, enjoys his music with this, and he's claiming it sounds "just fine". :D

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Which stuff?
That exact ear cleaning product. it produces some of the most vile in-ear-salt-water sensation,
do NOT recommend. anyway back to topic... lol :facepalm::oops:

Krunok

Major Contributor
That exact ear cleaning product. it produces some of the most vile in-ear-salt-water sensation,
do NOT recommend. anyway back to topic... lol :facepalm::oops:

That little gizmo was designed by the same JLB engineers who built one of the worlds best HiFi speakers. As a small portablle device which hooks to a mobile phone via BT it serves its purpose. It is us who don't understand the typical usage scenario of young generation. ;)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My younger son (17yo), when not listening to his headphones, enjoys his music with this, and he's claiming it sounds "just fine". :D
Looks a lot like the UE roll my wife uses a lot, and we both use on holiday, I can enjoy music on it fine, it's no different than a traditional smaller transistor radio as enjoyed by millions in kitchens etc.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOOL :D

No, it was designed for playing in free space and is good as it is. ;)

My girlfriend actually has the same one. It can benefit from equalisation...not that I’ve personally tried it... :cool:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I remember well back in the ‘70s my great aunt who was a music lover had an ancient mono system with a Lowther Acousta driven by an old valve amp and old record deck. She decided to try stereo and went t o a dealer in Canterbury where she lived who part exchanged the system for a modest mono stereo system. She was incredibly disappointed. The old system probably had a very coloured sound with very little treble and the new one was more neutral but with more treble and less bass. It was a really sad thing to see, she was devastated.

I've got sort of the opposite story. A few years back I built some super cheap speakers for my mom using a pair of 12" full range PA drivers. They lacked a bit of reponse in the top end, so I made some random holes and plugged in a pair of super cheap piezo horns in parallel with the full rangers. Far from high-end.. very far. But she absolutely loves them. Says they sound just like the speakers she had in the 70's. She's happy and I'm happy.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
That little gizmo was designed by the same JLB engineers who built one of the worlds best HiFi speakers. As a small portablle device which hooks to a mobile phone via BT it serves its purpose. It is us who don't understand the typical usage scenario of young generation. ;)

Sorry, but I doubt that. Harman/JBL is a quite large company with many division and design teams. But I want to believe that they genuinely want to make good products even for the average Joe. And portable/wireless is where the money runs now... I have bought JBL in-ears, BT speakers, active monitors LSR305 etc. -they have good value.

In contrary, looks like Sony's audio focus is only on portable gear! I have two low-end SRS-XB21 bt-speakers which are ok for the 60€, but I couldn't say the same for this https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-sony-hap-s1-streamer-server.6921/

Last edited:

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think there is anything anti ASR in liking what you like. Amirm doesn't come across to me as trying to dictate what your tastes should be, or even telling you one particular piece of equipment is necessarily better for your enjoyment of listening to music.
I think Amirm's intention is to educate, and by educating, allow people to make better informed decisions based on repeatable evidence rather than taking the advice of those who say 'I hear this therefor this is so'.
I've got some horrendously inaccurate equipment and I've built some real shockers in the past.
What I don't say is I've got High Fidelity equipment.
My headphone amp is a valve design (WAD 83) which I built and tinkered around with purely based on schematics, accepted theory and subjective testing. I enjoyed the process and I enjoy listening to it.
My loudspeakers are hand built, a few times now, ;)right down to the crossovers. I love the sound they make and to be fair, in the right environment their performance was at least measurably better than anything I could afford to buy.
My amplifiers are from Exposure and more than twenty years old. I have no idea how they measure. I bought them because the drove the speakers I built rather nicely when I played music through the system imo.
I've just bought the jds atom. It will be the only piece of kit I currently own that I've bought on specifications alone.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Sorry, but I doubt that. Harman/JBL is a quite large company with many division and design teams. But I want to believe that they genuinely want to make good products even for the average Joe. And portable/wireless is where the money runs now... I have bought JBL in-ears, BT speakers, active monitors LSR305 etc. -they have good value.

LOOL This OCD thing is spreading wider than expected. I didn't mean EXACTLY the same engineers. ;)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Does anyone own gear that measures or probably measures horribly but enjoy it greatly? I have a tube preamp that adds some coloration but I absolutely love it.

My Fi Yph:

hero.jpg

Top Bottom